PDA

View Full Version : Florida man reports wife shot AR-15 at target in bedroom closet and missed, nailing washing machine and flooding house

Teh One Who Knocks
05-25-2011, 02:49 PM
By Will Greenlee - Treasure Coast Palm

Officials are investigating a weekend incident during which a man indicated his wife fired an AR-15 rifle at a target inside a master bedroom closet, missing the target and blasting holes in a washing machine.

When deputies on Sunday entered the home in the 5700 block of Spanish River Road, they found "a lot of water on the floor covering most of the residence," according to recently released St. Lucie County Sheriff's Office records.

The 21-year-old woman said she and her husband are divorcing. She said her 33-year-old spouse called on Saturday, asking whether they could "get together."

They had a "good evening," but started arguing on Sunday about reconciling. She said she told her husband she didn't want to get back together because she has a new boyfriend. She said her husband "went crazy" and started shooting indoors.

She said he was firing close to her and thought he was trying to scare her. She said blood on her legs came from "the bullets hitting the washing machine and the metal shards hitting her."

The woman, however, said she also was shooting with her husband.

Asked to write a sworn statement, she said, "I'll try my best but I'm drunk."

Investigators found .223 caliber and .45 caliber cartridge casings in the master bedroom and a wood and metal shooting target in the closet. Bullet holes riddled the washing machine, and bullet exit holes were spotted in the wall across from the washing machine.

A deputy learned they'd been in the bedroom shooting the target in the closet.

"They had done this on multiple occasions," a report states, noting both had been drinking.

The husband said he was cooking on the grill outside. His wife was inside, and he ran in when he heard shots.

"According to (the husband), once inside he observed water all over the floor and learned (his wife) had shot the AR-15 assault rifle, missing the target, going through the wall and striking the washing machine causing the water leak," a report states.

That, he said, is when he started arguing with his wife and told her to get out.

He said metal shards struck his wife while she shot the AR-15 alone.

It could be argued that firing a rifle within the confines of a bedroom is unwise.

One neighbor said he and his wife heard loud music coming from the home, but said that wasn't unusual. He said he heard five to six "'pops that sounded like gun shots in rapid succession,'" but suspected they were fireworks.

About 10 minutes later, the neighbor said, he saw the husband grilling in the driveway. The neighbor noted four to five more shots coming from in the house as the husband grilled. The husband raced inside and deputies soon showed up, apparently after the wife dialed 911.

As deputies watched the husband, he said, "About the arguing, she just grabbed the gun from the safe and started shooting and punching holes in the walls. The house then flooded so I went inside to clean it up."

Investigators spoke to a prosecutor and determined no charges would be filed at the time. The husband's three guns were taken from a safe and put into evidence for safekeeping.

The wife walked away, saying a ride was going to pick her up.

"Both parties were advised to stay away from each other," the report states.

It wasn't immediately clear what the husband was grilling.

Loser
05-25-2011, 03:00 PM
One of the few weapons that I believe should be outright banned from civilian ownership, along side ak-47's and all variants, and sks's.

They have zero use for home defense or hunting and anyone who claims otherwise is a fucking idiot.:meh:

MrsM
05-25-2011, 03:03 PM
why do I see a trailer and not a house in my mind when I read this?

And these 2 should not breed - not with each other or anyone else.

PorkChopSandwiches
05-25-2011, 03:07 PM
FLORIDA FTW

Muddy
05-25-2011, 03:10 PM
There's some dumb mother funkers down in FLA.

PorkChopSandwiches
05-25-2011, 03:13 PM
Seems to be a higher concentration out there, that's for sure.

Muddy
05-25-2011, 03:14 PM
I wonder if its the heat cookin' mofo's brains?

Teh One Who Knocks
05-25-2011, 03:15 PM
One of the few weapons that I believe should be outright banned from civilian ownership, along side ak-47's and all variants, and sks's.

They have zero use for home defense or hunting and anyone who claims otherwise is a fucking idiot.:meh:

I have a MAK-90 (AK variant) and an SKS...come and take them away from me ;)

Just because some people are morons with something doesn't mean you punish the entire population. Because some people can't control themselves and go drinking and driving, does that mean we should go back to Prohibition or maybe ban all vehicles?

Teh One Who Knocks
05-25-2011, 03:16 PM
There's some dumb mother funkers down in FLA.

Seems to be a higher concentration out there, that's for sure.

No doubt....seems like 80% of all the crazy stories come outta Florida :lol:

Arkady Renko
05-25-2011, 03:17 PM
nah, my money is on the pesticides from the citrus plantations.

Loser
05-25-2011, 03:24 PM
I have a MAK-90 (AK variant) and an SKS...come and take them away from me ;)

Just because some people are morons with something doesn't mean you punish the entire population. Because some people can't control themselves and go drinking and driving, does that mean we should go back to Prohibition or maybe ban all vehicles?

It's nothing to do with idiots who do dumb things.

It's the fact that they have absolutely no use.

You can't use it for home defense, hunting with them is a joke because outside 400 yards the accuracy blows, and most gun ranges won't even let you shoot them.

What purpose does it serve to own one?

PorkChopSandwiches
05-25-2011, 03:26 PM
It's nothing to do with idiots who do dumb things.

It's the fact that they have absolutely no use.

You can't use it for home defense, hunting with them is a joke because outside 400 yards the accuracy blows, and most gun ranges won't even let you shoot them.

If it shoots a bullet, then it can protect my home.

Teh One Who Knocks
05-25-2011, 03:26 PM

Because I can :-s

Why do people own half the things they do?

And out here there there are plenty of places to shoot military style weapons.

Loser
05-25-2011, 03:28 PM
If it shoots a bullet, then it can protect my home.

That bullet can also go through your wall, into your childrens room and take their head off. :roll:

PorkChopSandwiches
05-25-2011, 03:29 PM
That bullet can also go through your wall, into your childrens room and take their head off. :roll:

There is potential that I can do the same thing with my 9.

Loser
05-25-2011, 03:33 PM

I'm not anti gun ownership. As a matter of fact I'm a gunsmith. I just don't believe there's any reason to own one of these.

They give people a false sense of security.

The fact is, in most self defense scenarios, peoples accuracy is shit and they fire way more rounds then needed. I've seen veteran police officers swear they've fired 2-3 rounds when in fact they emptied the magazine.

7.68 and 5.56 rounds can very easily go through 3-4 walls made from drywall. It's just reckless and asinine in my opinion.

Loser
05-25-2011, 03:35 PM
There is potential that I can do the same thing with my 9.

It has the potential but not guaranteed. A 5.56 is definitely going through.

PorkChopSandwiches
05-25-2011, 03:47 PM
thats true, but is there no reason to own a gun for the fun of it?

Muddy
05-25-2011, 03:48 PM

Buy a Seadoo you psycho...

Teh One Who Knocks
05-25-2011, 03:48 PM

:tup:

PorkChopSandwiches
05-25-2011, 03:49 PM
Buy a Seadoo you psycho...

Hahahahah, you must have never felt the power of shooting some cool shit

Muddy
05-25-2011, 03:50 PM
I shoot loads, baby... :razz:

PorkChopSandwiches
05-25-2011, 03:51 PM
I dont shoot as much as dribble these days :lol:

Muddy
05-25-2011, 03:51 PM
*pump splatter*

Teh One Who Knocks
05-25-2011, 03:53 PM
Hahahahah, you must have never felt the power of shooting some cool shit

Especially an AK-47 with a 40 round clip in it ;)

Arkady Renko
05-25-2011, 03:58 PM

you do have to draw a line somewhere, or else you'd have to let people have tanks and nukes.

Teh One Who Knocks
05-25-2011, 04:00 PM
you do have to draw a line somewhere, or else you'd have to let people have tanks and nukes.

See, that's just being silly ;)

That's the argument that anti-gun people always try to bring up. Same with the people against gay marriage for example. They always try and say, well, if you allow gay marriage, then you have to allow people to marry goats.

Bringing an argument to an absurd extreme doesn't work.

DemonGeminiX
05-25-2011, 04:00 PM

:D

I'd love to drive a tank!

PorkChopSandwiches
05-25-2011, 04:21 PM

:lol:

Godfather
05-25-2011, 04:21 PM
*pew pew pew*

Acid Trip
05-25-2011, 05:16 PM

Where does it say that firearms can only be owned for hunting and home defense? The number 1 reason for the 2nd Amendment was for the citizens to be protected from the government. Syrian leaders don't have to listen to the populace because they are unarmed and easy targets (as we've seen)! A defenseless population is easily controlled.

If our government fired on us we would fire right back and that keeps them in check (mostly).

Acid Trip
05-25-2011, 05:20 PM
It has the potential but not guaranteed. A 5.56 is definitely going through.

A .357, .44, .45, .38, or Desert Eagle round (all pistols) will go through one if not multiple drywall walls. Common Mr. Gunsmith you know better than that!

Acid Trip
05-25-2011, 05:36 PM
I only own one gun (my wife has her own) but I do believe it's the right of every citizen to arm themselves. If you don't think the 2nd amendment is for our protection against the government then read these quotes.

‘‘Are we at last brought to such humiliating and debasing degradation, that we cannot be trusted with arms for our defense? ... If our defense be the real object of having those arms, in whose hands can they be trusted with more propriety, or equal safety to us, as in our own hands?’’
— Patrick Henry

‘‘I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials.’’
‘‘To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them.’’
— George Mason

‘‘The right of self-defense is the first law of nature; in most governments it has been the study of rulers to confine this right within the narrowest possible limits. ... and [when] the right of the people to keep and bear arms is, under any color or pretext whatsoever, prohibited, liberty, if not already annihilated, is on the brink of destruction.’’
— St. George Tucker, Judge of the Virginia Supreme Court 1803

‘‘Before a standing army can rule, the people must be disarmed; as they are in almost every kingdom of Europe. The supreme power in America cannot enforce unjust laws by the sword; because the whole body of the people are armed, and constitute a force superior to any bands of regular troops that can be, on any pretense, raised in the United States’’
— Noah Webster, 1888

Loser
05-25-2011, 09:32 PM
A .357, .44, .45, .38, or Desert Eagle round (all pistols) will go through one if not multiple drywall walls. Common Mr. Gunsmith you know better than that!

Actually, it all depends on the type of handgun ammunition used.

Most people purchase JHP rounds for self and home defense, and JHP ammunition has severely reduced penetration.

.38 special rounds were replaced by the .357 for the sheer fact that .38 rounds had a lack of penetration, so bad so that it wouldn't even penetrate a cars windshield.

.50 AE and .45 acp rounds are slow, most maxing out at about 900fps, add that to the JHP mixture and your looking at 12-13 inches of penetration into ballistic gelatin. Would it penetrate a wall? Possibly, but it's velocity would be slowed so much that it wouldn't penetrate shit else afterwards.

The .357 is about your only contender here for a decent argument, with average muzzle velocity of around 1300-1400fps, but again, add to the fact that most .357 ammo is that of the JHP variety, once it hit drywall or sheetrock it would likely explode.

As for the .44 round, are we talking .44 special? or .44 magnum? .44 special rounds suffer from the same penetration issues that .45acp does, while the .44 magnum is generally used for big game hunting.:huh:

Now, with all that said, there's a slight difference between a 5.56 or 7.62 round and handgun ammunition, actually about 1500fps in difference. Most handgun ammunition averages 800-1400fps, while the 5.56 peaks about 2800fps, and the 7.62 peaks at about 2600fps. At those speeds, they would go through the walls of your house, and more then likely into a neighbors house.

Do I use a handgun or rifle for home defense? Hell no. Remington 870 with #4 shot. I use the lesser shot size for the same reason I don't use a handgun or rifle, because 00buck shot zips right through drywall.

Godfather
05-26-2011, 06:02 AM
I want a .22LR handgun. Wouldn't likely go through someone, just great at playing ping-pong with internal organs. Namely a zombie (I wouldn't shoot a burglar or trespasser, they can have my big screen if they need it that badly)

Arkady Renko
05-26-2011, 11:16 AM
See, that's just being silly ;)

That's the argument that anti-gun people always try to bring up. Same with the people against gay marriage for example. They always try and say, well, if you allow gay marriage, then you have to allow people to marry goats.

Bringing an argument to an absurd extreme doesn't work.

It does work a charm, actually. I don't advocate a complete ban on private gun ownership, I'm just saying that it's necessary to have restrictions on it, within reason. And what's reasonable in this case is up to debate. Do we draw the line at anything other than hunting rifles and handguns up to a certain caliber? Assault rifles? machine guns? we need to balance public safety and individual freedom in a way that leaves us with a satisfactory compromise.

:D

I'd love to drive a tank!

it's bad enough that Hummers are legally sold in the US...

Loser
05-26-2011, 06:27 PM
I want a .22LR handgun. Wouldn't likely go through someone, just great at playing ping-pong with internal organs. Namely a zombie (I wouldn't shoot a burglar or trespasser, they can have my big screen if they need it that badly)

:slap:

Silly noob, everyone knows you need a head shot to kill a zombie, and a .22lr couldn't accomplish that.

DemonGeminiX
05-26-2011, 06:29 PM
it's bad enough that Hummers are legally sold in the US...

Were. The Hummer brand no longer exists in the US.

Hal-9000
05-26-2011, 06:34 PM
I only own one gun (my wife has her own) but I do believe it's the right of every citizen to arm themselves. If you don't think the 2nd amendment is for our protection against the government then read these quotes.

‘‘Are we at last brought to such humiliating and debasing degradation, that we cannot be trusted with arms for our defense? ... If our defense be the real object of having those arms, in whose hands can they be trusted with more propriety, or equal safety to us, as in our own hands?’’
— Patrick Henry

‘‘I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials.’’
‘‘To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them.’’
— George Mason

‘‘The right of self-defense is the first law of nature; in most governments it has been the study of rulers to confine this right within the narrowest possible limits. ... and [when] the right of the people to keep and bear arms is, under any color or pretext whatsoever, prohibited, liberty, if not already annihilated, is on the brink of destruction.’’
— St. George Tucker, Judge of the Virginia Supreme Court 1803

‘‘Before a standing army can rule, the people must be disarmed; as they are in almost every kingdom of Europe. The supreme power in America cannot enforce unjust laws by the sword; because the whole body of the people are armed, and constitute a force superior to any bands of regular troops that can be, on any pretense, raised in the United States’’
— Noah Webster, 1888

I think this one goes against your beliefs....:rolleyes:

— Noah Webster, 1888

PorkChopSandwiches
05-26-2011, 06:37 PM
I think this one goes against your beliefs....:rolleyes:

— Noah Webster, 1888

I don't know, I think that's exactly his point. Since we are armed they can't force unjust laws.

Hal-9000
05-26-2011, 06:41 PM
I don't know, I think that's exactly his point. Since we are armed they can't force unjust laws.

Yeah I got there when I first read it...it seems some people's reason for arming themselves is fear of the government and that sits a little strangely with me...

it's like people who have guns and bring up the second amendment...like they HAVE to own weapons rather than choose to own weapons, just strikes me funny is all :lol:

PorkChopSandwiches
05-26-2011, 06:46 PM
Doesn't every nation take up arms against its government at some point?

unless they are unarmed, and then another nation takes up arms against them

Muddy
05-26-2011, 08:45 PM
it seems some people's reason for arming themselves is fear of the government and that sits a little strangely with me...

It got Mubarak out of power, Ghaddifis next...

MrsM
05-26-2011, 09:05 PM
It got Mubarak out of power, Ghaddifis next...

I would like to think that the US is a little different. If you wanted to oust Obama, taking to the streets and shooting at police and the army is not the way to do it. I highly doubt that the US will ever be in a position where the general public will need to fight the government (with weapons) for change.

Nor would the government be one that would need to fight/kill it's people to stay in power. These scenarios are very unlikely and should not be based on how you live your life today.

just my :2cents:

Hal-9000
05-26-2011, 09:07 PM
Living in North America I don't see the correlation....living in some 3rd world country however, arming yourself against the government seems prudent and necessary

Hal-9000
05-26-2011, 09:09 PM
I would like to think that the US is a little different. If you wanted to oust Obama, taking to the streets and shooting at police and the army is not the way to do it. I highly doubt that the US will ever be in a position where the general public will need to fight the government (with weapons) for change.

Nor would the government be one that would need to fight/kill it's people to stay in power. These scenarios are very unlikely and should not be based on how you live your life today.

American is one country I would not arm myself and try to take on the government if things went bad....their military budget is like 30 zillion dollars :shock: (per year)

Hal-9000
05-26-2011, 09:10 PM
If crap ever goes bad in the world, I'm heading straight over to Lance's treehouse. I know I'll be safe and protected there :)

(and he has Hot Pockets :dance:)

Teh One Who Knocks
05-26-2011, 09:21 PM
If crap ever goes bad in the world, I'm heading straight over to Lance's treehouse. I know I'll be safe and protected there :)

(and he has Hot Pockets :dance:)

Do you know the password? :-s

Teh One Who Knocks
05-26-2011, 09:24 PM

During the aftermath of hurricane Katrina when the local government broke down and couldn't protect the citizens of New Orleans, there were groups of thugs going around and breaking into people's homes and trying to take their things and in extreme cases, attack people. If you were unarmed, you were at their mercy because the police weren't going to help you. In fact, there were cases of police officers acting against the Constitution trying to disarm law abiding people.

If any major disaster like that happened in Denver, I am glad that the Constitution of my country gives me the ability to defend myself.

Hal-9000
05-26-2011, 09:28 PM
Do you know the password? :-s

I'm wearing pie flavored underwear? :-s

MrsM
05-26-2011, 09:31 PM
During the aftermath of hurricane Katrina when the local government broke down and couldn't protect the citizens of New Orleans, there were groups of thugs going around and breaking into people's homes and trying to take their things and in extreme cases, attack people. If you were unarmed, you were at their mercy because the police weren't going to help you. In fact, there were cases of police officers acting against the Constitution trying to disarm law abiding people.

If any major disaster like that happened in Denver, I am glad that I am glad that the Constitution of my country gives me the ability to defend myself.

That's a good point and a good reason to own a gun. I'm not against someone owing a gun or guns. What I don't like is people saying that they need massive machine guns because they may need to fight the government. I would think that a shotgun or 2 with lots of ammo would be an effective way to defend yourself in the aftermath of Katrina.

Teh One Who Knocks
05-26-2011, 09:34 PM
Machine guns are already illegal to own in the United States unless you get an extremely special permit to own one and go through a very invasive background check. Out of everywhere I have lived in the US, I have yet to know anyone with that permit...and I know a lot of gun owners.

Teh One Who Knocks
05-26-2011, 09:44 PM
Machine guns are already illegal to own in the United States unless you get an extremely special permit to own one and go through a very invasive background check. Out of everywhere I have lived in the US, I have yet to know anyone with that permit...and I know a lot of gun owners.

I guess it's not really a permit per se but you have to fill out local and federal paperwork to get approved to own a fully automatic weapon.

Teh One Who Knocks
05-26-2011, 09:46 PM
Found this on a firearms weapsite:

Most states permit citizens to own full-auto weapons. You can forget California, Illinois, New York, New Jersey and probably a few others.

1. The first step is to contact the Sheriff of the county in which you live. Ask the Sheriff if he will sign off on a Form 4 for you to own a machine gun. He'll know what you are asking. Generally, Big City Sheriffs are less likely to sign; small town and more rural Sheriffs seem more inclined to sign. You'll either get a positive response or a smart-ass response.

2. Have about $4,000+ cash ready to spend. You will need to pay for the gun, at least one $200 revenue stamp tax, and some money to a Class III dealer to complete the transfer for you.

4. Be prepared to have the local Sheriff do his own investigation, which could mean just about anything. Mine sent a deputy out to interview my neighbors and interview my wife before he would sign. I've heard of some who want to see that you have a safe to lock it up in.

5. Find and negotiate your purchase of the intended firearm. Complete the Form 4 (ask others how to answer certain questions), and submit it to BATFE together with finger print card and photograph. BATFE will get the FBI to do a background investigation on you - what they actually do, beyond a NICS check, I have no idea. Wait 3-6 months and then your Class III dealer will notify you when you can take possession of the machinegun you have already purchased.

6. Note, you need to know whether you can get through the process before you purchase the gun. The purchase takes place when you pay for it, not when you take possession. If you aren't permitted to take possession - YOU STILL OWN THE MACHINEGUN, but it must stay with the Class III dealer, meaning you will probably have to turn around and sell it.

7. There are ways to get around a CLEO who won't sign off on your Form 4 - LLC, Corp, Trust. Yes, if done right, it works, but you will need to pay a lawyer to do this for you. Not a huge deal, but just more added bullcrap.

8. If you do complete the transfer and take possession of the machinegun - KNOW THE LAWS regarding moving out of state.

9. Also note: check and make sure that you actually have a place somewhat nearby that you can shoot it if you intend to shoot it. I had to join a private shooting range for this.