PDA

View Full Version : Homeland may SCRAP Muslim storyline next series after Charlie Hebdo attacks - but network insists it's for 'creative reasons'

Teh One Who Knocks
01-13-2015, 12:25 PM
By Julian Robinson for MailOnline

http://i.imgur.com/n7o0nk7.jpg

The U.S television show Homeland may not feature a Muslim storyline in its next season, it has been revealed.

A new threat could be chosen in the fifth season ‘for creative reasons’ – and not because of the deadly attack on the headquarters of the satirical magazine Charlie Hebdo in Paris last week.

Each of the first four seasons of Homeland have featured fictional Middle East terrorists and Muslim extremists.

But producers are considering moving away from the format and finding a new target for CIA case officer Carrie Mathison - played by Claire Danes -when the show makes a return later this year.

According to insidetv, the attacks in France last week will not play a part in deciding who the story’s next villain will be - and it will not prevent producers from tackling sensitive issues.

Seventeen people, including journalists and police, were killed in three days of violence that began last Wednesday when militants burst into Charlie Hebdo's office during a regular editorial meeting and shot dead five of its leading cartoonists.

David Nevins, the president of Homeland’s TV network Showtime, is reported by insidetv as saying: ‘I hope [the attacks are] not considered at all.

‘I really, really don’t want there to be any limitations. I don’t expect there will be. They never shied away from anything difficult. I want them to go right into the teeth of it again.’

Speaking at the Television Critics Association’s semi-annual press tour he said producer Alex Gansa would ‘not necessarily’ stay with addressing U.S. relations in the Muslim world.

He said no final decisions had yet been made and that writers may still opt to focus on the Middle East.

In December, the Pakistani government hit out at producers of the Emmy-winning show over the portrayal of the country as a safe haven for Islamic terrorists.

Diplomats condemned Homeland for depicting Islamabad, the setting of the show's fourth series, as a 'hellhole' refuge for the Taliban.

One official described it as a 'disservice to the people of the US'.

The fourth series of the popular show sees star Claire Danes acting as a member of the Central Intelligence Agency in Islamabad.

Filmed in fact in Cape Town, the first episode sees a violent mob of local people beating another agent to death over a drone strike which killed a sought-after terrorist hiding in a rural farmhouse.

But Mr Nevins said this week: 'Some of the other sides [to Pakistan] the show brought up I think are also very defensible … It’s a very well researched show.'

He added that the show was a work of fiction and that he was 'very defensive' of the rights of producers to 'tell difficult stories in difficult parts of the world.'

Hal-9000
01-13-2015, 04:48 PM
Yes the show is fictional but I sure loved part of the plot this season featuring Pakistanis supporting the Al-kabobs. Saul made a very blatant accusation to a Pakistani diplomat and I found that brave for a TV series.

redred
01-13-2015, 04:56 PM
so i guess next season we get to see Carrie take up knitting

Teh One Who Knocks
01-13-2015, 05:01 PM
Maybe all of next season will be her bonding with that butt ugly baby :thumbsup:

redred
01-13-2015, 05:02 PM
that is one fugly baby :lol: and isn't it a twin due to working rules for minors so theres 2 of the ugly things

Hal-9000
01-13-2015, 05:11 PM
you guys quit making fun of little Sob *

*spawn of Brody :)

Hal-9000
01-13-2015, 05:12 PM
I think they're going to focus on domestic terrorists, a la Timothy McVeigh

Teh One Who Knocks
01-13-2015, 05:14 PM
I think they're going to focus on domestic terrorists, a la Timothy McVeigh

They can't though, the CIA has no jurisdiction on American soil, that would fall to the FBI.

Hal-9000
01-13-2015, 05:16 PM
They can't though, the CIA has no jurisdiction on American soil, that would fall to the FBI.

:(

it would make for a great season considering the title and all ...HOMELAND :cheerlead:

PorkChopSandwiches
01-13-2015, 05:17 PM
That will be the end of a great show then, bow to the terrorists

Hal-9000
01-13-2015, 05:17 PM
maybe they'll fight the Canadian terrorists...

BACK OFF! He's got a poutine and maple syrup bomb strapped to his chest :shock:

Hal-9000
01-13-2015, 05:18 PM
That will be the end of a great show then, bow to the terrorists

good point :thumbsup:

creative irony at its worst...

Hal-9000
01-13-2015, 05:28 PM
"In December, the Pakistani government hit out at producers of the Emmy-winning show over the portrayal of the country as a safe haven for Islamic terrorists."

Ummm hello, is OSAMA BIN LADEN home?

Hal-9000
01-13-2015, 05:31 PM
that's one thing that really made me sad...in the eight or ten years they searched for Bin Laden, I always envisioned him cowering in caves or in some shanty hut in the middle of nowhere...

not in a three level home with a gated courtyard

Teh One Who Knocks
01-13-2015, 05:32 PM
that's one thing that really made me sad...in the eight or ten years they searched for Bin Laden, I always envisioned him cowering in caves or in some shanty hut in the middle of nowhere...

not in a three level home with a gated courtyard

Yup, and the Pakistanis have the nerve to act all butthurt

Hal-9000
01-13-2015, 05:35 PM
Yup, and the Pakistanis have the nerve to act all butthurt

and the storyline this past season pretty much echoed that :thumbsup:

Hal-9000
01-13-2015, 05:36 PM
maybe they'll kidnap Sob and sent parts of him to Carrie :)

:lol: my bad...

Teh One Who Knocks
01-13-2015, 05:38 PM
:lol:

DemonGeminiX
01-13-2015, 06:49 PM
American Pussyism at work.

:thumbsup: