PDA

View Full Version : Liam Neeson Says America Has 'Too Many F**king Guns'

Teh One Who Knocks
01-16-2015, 11:38 AM
The Huffington Post | By Cavan Sieczkowski

http://i.imgur.com/WnkiOje.jpg

Liam Neeson voiced his issues with gun ownership in America during a conversation about the recent shooting at the Charlie Hebdo offices in Paris.

“First off, my thoughts and prayers and my heart are with the deceased, and certainly with all of France, yesterday. I’ve got a lot of dear friends in Paris,” Neeson said during an interview in Dubai this week. "There's too many fucking guns out there. Especially in America. I think the population is like, 320 million? There's over 300 million guns. Privately owned, in America. I think it's a fucking disgrace. Every week now we're picking up a newspaper and seeing, 'Yet another few kids have been killed in schools.'"

Neeson went on to deny that movies featuring firearms, such as his own "Taken" series, encourage people to buy guns, saying: "I grew up watching cowboy movies, loved doing that [gun gesture] with my fingers, 'Bang, bang, you're dead!' I didn't end up a killer. I think that's something the power of cinema can be."

According to estimates, there are between 270 million and 310 million guns in the U.S., the Pew Research Center has noted. With a population of about 300 million, that's one for every man, woman and child. In a 2013 Pew survey, 37 percent of Americans said someone in their household owned a gun.

The 62-year-old star, who was born in Ireland, echoed similar sentiments about gun control during a September interview with the Independent.

"I am totally for gun control in the U.S.," he said. "The population of America is roughly 300 million and there are 300 million guns in this country, which is terrifying."

Goofy
01-16-2015, 01:07 PM
According to estimates, there are between 270 million and 310 million guns in the U.S., the Pew Research Center has noted. With a population of about 300 million, that's one for every man, woman and child. In a 2013 Pew survey, 37 percent of Americans said someone in their household owned a gun.

http://i.imgur.com/TuLummO.jpg

PorkChopSandwiches
01-16-2015, 03:29 PM
Please leave our country now, you are unwanted. After we give you the opportunity to be rich and famous playing with guns you're going to talk shit

Teh One Who Knocks
01-16-2015, 03:33 PM
Please leave our country now, you are unwanted. After we give you the opportunity to be rich and famous playing with guns you're going to talk shit

:qft:

Goofy
01-16-2015, 03:51 PM

:qft:
:empathy: x2

DemonGeminiX
01-16-2015, 06:58 PM
You could always stay home if you don't like it here, Liam.

:idk:

Griffin
01-16-2015, 07:12 PM
So we should be like Europe where only the terrorist and criminals have guns, street cops can't even defend themselves.

I don't think so, I believe I'll build another one just because I can.

Hikari Kisugi
01-16-2015, 08:02 PM
I disagree with the general sentiment in the responses.
It seems to be a right in the US to own a gun.
I believe it might have been initially meant to allow the formation of militias, but since was expanded to allow everyone to own their own weapons.
Fine.

With rights come responsibilities, or at least they should.
To paraphrase something completely different, think of the average person, think of how stupid that person can be.
Then remember, half the people are more stupid than that average person.
They can't be responsible, should they still have the right?

I am quite I live where there are reasonably strict gun laws. I am licenced to own a weapon. I do so.
I am glad most people have to jump through some hoops to get that licence, because I don't want Mr Average Tard Brain dandering around with one.
Each to their own.
Out of interest, all who replied to tell Liam to go home, do you all own weapons also? If so what sort, and why do you own them? Sport, protection, vermin control?
He is entitled to free speech and his own views :)

Goofy
01-16-2015, 08:10 PM
I believe it might have been initially meant to allow the formation of militias, but since was expanded to allow everyone to own their own weapons.
Fine.

To paraphrase something completely different, think of the average person, think of how stupid that person can be.

I am quite I live where there are reasonably strict gun laws. I am licenced to own a weapon. I do so.
I am glad most people have to jump through some hoops to get that licence, because I don't want Mr Average Tard Brain dandering around with one.
Each to their own.
Out of interest, all who replied to tell Liam to go home, do you all own weapons also? If so what sort, and why do you own them? Sport, protection, vermin control?

Nice knowing you :sadwavey:

PorkChopSandwiches
01-16-2015, 08:32 PM

Protection from the government :tup: :pewpew:

DemonGeminiX
01-16-2015, 09:01 PM
Fine.

Each to their own.

It is a right for a law-abiding citizen to own a gun, or multiple guns, in the USA, as guaranteed by the second amendment of the United States Constitution.

Your assertion regarding militias is mistaken but that's ok because most everybody gets it wrong. The original intent of the second amendment and the clause about militias has been misinterpreted since the Constitution's inception. Militias did not exist during the drafting and adoption of the Constitution. There were just people with guns that were collectively willing to fight against tyranny whether it came from within or from outside. The Framers and Founding Fathers sought to preserve that. In journals and letters, virtually all important figures from that time period have stated openly that it was their intent for the entire people of the United States to keep and bear arms in the event that they would have need to defend themselves, their families, and their properties from an invading force that sought to oppress their freedoms. That is the entire populace of the United States. Because it's the entire populace of the United States that will have to defend their freedoms and lands against an invading force. The US military and statewide militias wouldn't be enough on our own soil. They can't be everywhere defending everyone all at once. It's up to the individual to be personally responsible for their own safety and security, just like it's up to the individual to be personally responsible for their own successes and failures in this country. That's what it means to be a citizen of the United States, a person succeeds or fails, lives and dies, by one's own hand, not to rely on anyone else to take care of it for them, because they fight for themselves. It's personal responsibility and we're all very proud about that.

And that's why every possible opposing force is terrified of bringing war to our soil. Because they know they won't just be fighting an Army, Air Force, Marines, Navy, and Coast Guard... they're going to be fighting every red-blooded United States citizen with a firearm on every god damned front.

Neeson can say anything he wants and so can we. You can criticize but so can we. I say again, if Neeson doesn't like that we have guns, then he can stay the fuck home.

PorkChopSandwiches
01-16-2015, 10:37 PM
Well stated

PorkChopSandwiches
01-16-2015, 10:38 PM
That's what I was trying to convey :lol:

Griffin
01-16-2015, 11:10 PM
:-s...well there's always that, but I just like building them. :dance:

redred
01-17-2015, 12:11 AM
yeap sorry we as brits don't like outsiders telling us what to do , so someone who's made good money shooting bad folk in films shouldn't say stuff like this

RBP
01-17-2015, 12:30 AM

Nope... half the people are more stupid than the median person.

#DGX

KevinD
01-17-2015, 02:27 AM
DGD got it pretty much correct imho. I had a thread in AS specifically about the 2nd amendment, broken down to what I believe the framers meant, based on other published papers and letters of the time. From my point of view, every citizen was by definition part of a "milita" (based again on actual documents from the time and framers) thus the argument that the 2nd amendment doesn't aplly to citizens now is pure BS.

While Neeson is more than entitled to express his views (1st amendment yo) I also have the right to call him an idiot, and to no longer support his work

Hikari Kisugi
01-17-2015, 12:13 PM
DGD got it pretty much correct imho. I had a thread in AS specifically about the 2nd amendment, broken down to what I believe the framers meant, based on other published papers and letters of the time. From my point of view, every citizen was by definition part of a "milita" (based again on actual documents from the time and framers) thus the argument that the 2nd amendment doesn't aplly to citizens now is pure BS.

While Neeson is more than entitled to express his views (1st amendment yo) I also have the right to call him an idiot, and to no longer support his work

Good to have that militia clause explained, US constitution is something I have never investigated as it is of no relevance here.

That's fair enough.
I can understand the concept of the right to everyone to own a firearm, but do you really not think there some exist some form of control or licencing of such?
I just can't imagine the mess we'd have here, if every dipshit was allowed to own a weapon.
I'd certainly feel less safe rather than more.

I guess the situation is different when everyone else is tooled up, and there are masses of illegal weapons around the place, with various gang activities, and high rates of violent crime.
But for the rest, why do you personally hold a firearm?

I have mine for sporting purposes and vermin control. It has never been about personal safety for me.

Hikari Kisugi
01-17-2015, 12:13 PM

Good to have that militia clause explained, US constitution is something I have never investigated as it is of no relevance here.

That's fair enough.
I can understand the concept of the right to everyone to own a firearm, but do you really not think there some exist some form of control or licencing of such?
I just can't imagine the mess we'd have here, if every dipshit was allowed to own a weapon.

I guess the situation is different when everyone else is tooled up, and there are masses of illegal weapons around the place, with various gang activities, and high rates of violent crime.

I have mine for sporting purposes and vermin control. It has never been about personal safety for me.

deebakes
01-17-2015, 02:50 PM
but you could :shrug:

RBP
01-17-2015, 03:01 PM

That's fair enough.

I am not sure why everyone think we have a high violent crime rate. Even adjusting for differences in record keeping, the UK rate is twice the US.

Griffin
01-17-2015, 03:58 PM
I am not sure why everyone think we have a high violent crime rate. Even adjusting for differences in record keeping, the UK rate is twice the US.

I'm sure that the rest of the planet suffers from the same skewed image of us that we do of them, we only know what the media chooses to show.

PorkChopSandwiches
01-17-2015, 03:58 PM
And this is coming from Chicago :lol:

KevinD
01-17-2015, 06:31 PM
To answer hikari's question,
Over the years I've owned various guns for varied reasons. Some I've inherited, so keep for sentimental reasons. My uncle has the first gun I ever shot, and he's left it to me I his will. It is an 8 gauge shotgun, and was my great grandfathers' brought here to the U.S. from Ireland.
Others I've bought from friends because I don't loan money. Neatest one was a .454 Casul, though I hated shooting it.
I have a .410 shotgun that I keep for my nephew, as he has no where to shoot it where he lives.
I have a .40 cal semi-auto pistol for my wife to use if needed when I'm out of town.
I'm going to buy another hand gun soon, for personal use, just not sure what I want yet.

In theory, I have no problem if there were liscensing for ownership similar to a drivers license, but there are far, far to many people in our government that are on record as wanting to take away all guns. Also, regardless of how I (or others) feel there's still the 2nd amendment.
To those who say the 2nd is outdated, I reply, what about the rest of the constitution and amendments. I personally think the amendments were meant to be fluid, and change over the years, hence the clearly defined means to do so.

Hikari Kisugi
01-17-2015, 06:56 PM
That's good information.
Lovely to have a family heirloom.
Due to licencing laws here, we swapped the family heirloom, passing on an old 12 gauge to a cousin when he got it licenced, as it is perfect for the role he wanted it for and kept it in the family.
I got a 20 gauge as it suits what I use it for more suitably. Goes with the rifle.

I know what you mean regarding the various amendments, lack of fluidity is the issue, I certainly wouldn't suggest that people have their guns taken from them, but a system, as with people being allowed to drive a car, or teach sky diving, that involves some instruction might be a good idea. Take the thread we have for 'Things you see when you don't have a gun' none of those fuckers can even dress themselves, hideous trolls, yet they are allowed to get tooled up. ;)

I think I have to make it clear, I don't think people shouldn't own guns. That was never my point when I asked the question.

Hikari Kisugi
01-17-2015, 06:56 PM
That's good information.
Lovely to have a family heirloom.
Due to licencing laws here, we swapped the family heirloom, passing on an old 12 gauge to a cousin when he got it licenced, as it is perfect for the role he wanted it for and kept it in the family.
I got a 20 gauge as it suits what I use it for more suitably. Goes with the rifle.

I know what you mean regarding the various amendments, lack of fluidity is the issue, I certainly wouldn't suggest that people have their guns taken from them, but a system, as with people being allowed to drive a car, or teach sky diving, that involves some instruction might be a good idea. Take the thread we have for 'Things you see when you don't have a gun' none of those fuckers can even dress themselves, hideous trolls, yet they are allowed to get tooled up. ;)

I think I have to make it clear, I don't think people shouldn't own guns. That was never my point when I asked the question.

PorkChopSandwiches
01-17-2015, 07:33 PM
Im all for people being properly trained. When we got our 9mm I had my wife take a handgun safety course so she and I would be comfortable with her using it. In theory I could have went over it with her, but sometimes its just easier to outsource those types of things :lol:

deebakes
01-17-2015, 07:59 PM
especially when it comes to making it clear so that they don't later say, "you never told me that!" and so forth... :lol:

women :shrug:

PorkChopSandwiches
01-17-2015, 08:32 PM
:lol:

Yt Trash
01-18-2015, 02:26 PM
My wife and I both have hand guns. We both have concealed permits. We both carry 75% of the time, she more than me since she has a purse. I can't always carry cause of what I'm wearing and living in FL, (Shorts and all). It's second nature to me to carry and I feel I'm missing something when I don't. I'm thankful I'm afforded the right to do so.

FBD
01-20-2015, 05:50 PM
Liam Neeson has too large of a vagina

PorkChopSandwiches
01-20-2015, 06:11 PM
I would like some regulations on it

FBD
01-20-2015, 06:16 PM
when they get to a certain size, you cant regulate them any longer :hand: