PDA

View Full Version : Homeowners Sued For Parking Truck In Their Own Driveway

Teh One Who Knocks
01-20-2015, 12:34 PM
By Matiss Batarags - Opposing Views

http://i.imgur.com/JpD8yBJ.jpg

David and Arna Orlando are being sued by their homeowners association for parking their pickup truck in their own driveway.

The Kimry Moor Homeowners Association filed the lawsuit in August of 2013, claiming that the truck was not a personal vehicle. The Manlius, New York, development consists of 84 houses.

Kimry Moor’s regulations state that cars parked in driveways must be “private, passenger-type, pleasure automobiles.” Court documents show that Kimry Moor owns the common areas of the development, which include the driveways of all houses. Technically, the Orlandos can park their truck in the garage.

David says that his 2014 Ford 150 is registered as a passenger vehicle and that he does not even have a commercial license. The Orlandos' lawyer, Tom Cerio, said: “This is a silly rule. It's fair to say the association is definitely overreaching. And they are enforcing this rule for a personal-use vehicle, not a commercial vehicle."

David added that he has seen pickup trucks, vans and sport utility vehicles parked outside of many other houses. He has continued to park the truck in the driveway since the case was filed with the Onondaga County Supreme Court.

Paul Curtin, who represents the Kimry Moor Homeowners Association, said the pickup “is not a passenger vehicle by definition.” He added that the homeowners do not own their driveways and must abide by the rules. Other rules adopted by Kimry Moor include no parking of boats and trailers, no tents or shacks and no unusual noise or odors.

David and Arna have also sued the Kimry Moor Homeowners Association for damages, saying that the association has “impeded and interfered with the Orlandos’ quiet use and enjoyment of their property.” They also want to be able to pay Cerio for representing them in the case.

Homeowners associations are meant to keep neighborhoods in good condition and often charge a fee for lawn maintenance, snow plowing and other services.

redred
01-20-2015, 12:41 PM
Rules are rules always read and understand the small print that way you can't bitch when things like this happen

Teh One Who Knocks
01-20-2015, 12:43 PM
Who would move into a development where you don't own your own driveway? And how is that even legal? :huh:

redred
01-20-2015, 12:49 PM
Who would move into a development where you don't own your own driveway?

like i said always read the small print :tup:

PorkChopSandwiches
01-20-2015, 04:40 PM
I fucking HATE associations

2014 Ford 150 is registered as a passenger vehicle
End of story

redred
01-20-2015, 05:15 PM
is that a company logo in the back window ?

FBD
01-20-2015, 05:34 PM
HOAs pull this bullshit as a way to fine and extort money out of you, that's all this is, Red. I will bet you that these people started receiving fines in the mail from the HOA before any of this went to court - because the HOA invented hundreds if not thousands in fines, that's where their lawsuit came from, and is exactly what generated the countersuit.

PorkChopSandwiches
01-20-2015, 06:11 PM
I lived with an HOA once, I would constantly be fined (due to a disgruntled neighbor) They would just mail me fines without ever once picking up a phone to get both sides. Every time I went to the next HOA meeting to dispute the fine, the jackass neighbor would never show and the fine would be dropped.

Turns out this asshole was getting multiple people fined, I said well WTF, who do you think the problem really is. They agreed to stop fines on complaints he generated.

Side note he also placed me under citizens arrest and I had to go to court, only to fined out it was thrown out and they never notified me.

FBD
01-20-2015, 06:14 PM
Or god forbid a resident near you is on the HOA board and acts like a fkn nazi...HOAs are a scam, you have to be an idiot to get involved with one at this point.

redred
01-20-2015, 06:14 PM
Did you park your prius on the drive ? :lol:

DemonGeminiX
01-20-2015, 06:33 PM
Is that a company logo in the back window?

No. It's a sticker. Hillbillies put them on their trucks all the time.

PorkChopSandwiches
01-20-2015, 07:00 PM
Or god forbid a resident near you is on the HOA board and acts like a fkn nazi...HOAs are a scam, you have to be an idiot to get involved with one at this point.

The idea is ok in theory, keep the neighborhood looking good and so on, but the power always gets abused. I do miss the HOA now that down the street the white trash have parked a beat up RV sideways in their driveway and have a family living in it, which meant no room for the truck, so it now sits on the lawn. The owner is old, and all his adult kids have moved back in, he's been there forever so Im sure the house is paid off. :(

FBD
01-20-2015, 07:15 PM
always gets abused

Goofy
01-20-2015, 07:39 PM
Other rules adopted by Kimry Moor include no parking of boats and trailers, no tents or shacks and no unusual noise or odors.

They banned farting? :sad2: