PDA

View Full Version : Topless page 3 models scrapped in milestone decision for British journalism

Teh One Who Knocks
01-21-2015, 11:33 AM
By Daniela Deane - The Washington Post

http://i.imgur.com/z3DweoV.jpg

LONDON — Stop the presses! Britain’s topless page 3 models, which for almost half a century have featured in The Sun newspaper every weekday here, have quietly put their tops back on.

Monday’s Page 3 in The Sun showed it-girl British model Rosie Huntington-Whiteley in lingerie, breasts covered. Tuesday’s page 3 had two actresses from a popular British television show running on a beach in Dubai in bikinis.

So questions were undoubtedly asked about what was up with the 45-year tradition at media magnate Rupert Murdoch’s newspaper that has long drawn protests from feminists.

A spokesman for The Sun told an inquisitive Times, also owned by Murdoch, on Tuesday that “Page 3 of The Sun is where it’s always been, between pages 2 and 4, and you can find Lucy from Warwick at Page3.com.”

Last Friday’s edition of the paper will apparently then be the last to run a photo of a glamorous model baring large breasts since 1970, when the feature was introduced shortly after Murdoch bought the newspaper and turned it into Britain’s best-selling daily tabloid.

The feature was one of the most controversial — and long-standing — in British journalism.

The Sun will still run photographs of topless women on its Page3.com Web site, and topless models will still be used as “ambassadors” for events and campaigns backed by the newspaper, the Times reported.

The change, introduced without any official statement from the paper, will nevertheless go down as a milestone in the history of British journalism. It was not completely clear if the change was permanent.

The phrase “page 3 girl” became part of popular British lingo over the decades, and some young famous models were catapulted to fame after appearing topless in the paper. Rival tabloids tried to copy the feature.

Feminist claims that it was sexist never died down, however.

A change had seemed likely after Murdoch described page 3 as “old-fashioned” in September. The media magnate apparently signed off on the change, the Times reported.

The Sun’s Irish edition stopped using topless models in 2013. The Sun on Sunday, which recently replaced the News of the World, does not run topless pictures on page 3, and the Saturday Sun has not published them for many years.

redred
01-21-2015, 11:48 AM
:sad2:

PorkChopSandwiches
01-21-2015, 04:35 PM
:screamcry:

deebakes
01-22-2015, 12:27 AM
:rip:

DemonGeminiX
01-22-2015, 12:56 AM
:rip:

deebakes
01-22-2015, 12:58 AM
i thought "page 3" was the magazine/newspaper :facepalm:

DemonGeminiX
01-22-2015, 01:03 AM
:lol:

I'm just thinking, they'll probably change their minds really quick once their newsstand sales plummet.

redred
01-22-2015, 06:37 AM
It's back :woot:

DemonGeminiX
01-22-2015, 07:28 AM
That didn't last very long. :lol:

Goofy
01-22-2015, 08:02 AM
Boobs :cheers:

redred
01-22-2015, 08:19 AM
That didn't last very long. :lol:

you can never keep good boobs hidden for long :lol:

redred
01-22-2015, 08:20 AM
Sun's Page Three 'returns' as paper takes swipe at rivals

The Sun has published a picture of a topless woman on Page Three and mocked media outlets that said the long-running feature had been dropped.

On Tuesday, the Sun's sister paper the Times said the tabloid would no longer feature Page Three girls - but one appears in the Sun's latest edition.

The supposed ending of Page Three was widely reported, despite the Sun neither confirming or denying it.

On the page, the Sun "apologises" on behalf of all those who ran the story.

'Further to reports'
The Sun announces Page Three's return with a trail on the front page that reads: "We've had a mammary lapse."

It heads the image of the woman, who is seen winking into the camera, "Clarifications and corrections".

A caption under the photograph reads: "Further to recent reports in all other media outlets, we would like to clarify that this is Page 3 and this is a picture of Nicole, 22, from Bournemouth.

"We would like to apologise on behalf of the print and broadcast journalists who have spent the last two days talking and writing about us."

Page Three has been a feature of the Sun for 44 years but has been criticised for being sexist and outdated.

The Sun does not always have Page Three pictures - they purposefully do not appear in the paper's weekend editions and, in recent years, there are many weekdays where the paper does not feature a topless image on the page.

The absence of a Page Three girl on Monday and Tuesday coincided with the report in Tuesday's Times, which is a fellow News UK title, that the Sun had decided to quietly drop the feature.

The Times said it understood that News Corp executive chairman Rupert Murdoch had signed off the decision.

In its latest edition, the Times puts the record straight, saying its sister paper had "made a clean breast of it and admitted there's still some nudes to report".

'Sense of mischief'
The Sun's topless images have long drawn protests from campaigners, with an online petition against their use attracting more than 215,000 signatures so far.

Campaign group No More Page Three was founded in 2012 and has since gained support from a number of MPs and anti-sexism charities.

The Irish edition of the Sun stopped topless pictures two years ago.

Media commentator Steve Hewlett told the BBC's Newsnight programme that he believed Page Three still did not have a future.

He said: "It's [the Sun] always had a sense of mischief about it and, I might be wrong, but this smells to me very much like the Sun trying to say 'don't write us off yet, we still have a sense of mischief'.

"Is Page Three on its way back full time? Personally, I very much doubt it."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-30928544

PorkChopSandwiches
01-22-2015, 06:01 PM
:lol:

Hal-9000
01-22-2015, 06:59 PM
what I've never understood over here....we can't show any nudity in our newspapers

yet some starlet gets out of a limo with no panties and showing off her vaginal canal....and it's news everywhere

FBD
01-22-2015, 07:05 PM
:lol: you forget who "settled" these lands and how prevalent they were?

Hal-9000
01-22-2015, 07:07 PM
my kin, the Irish Warriors? :-s

redred
01-22-2015, 07:09 PM
mexicans ?

Hal-9000
01-22-2015, 07:10 PM
The Jews :shock:

Hal-9000
01-22-2015, 07:12 PM
actually...around here folks are constantly talking about native Indians living here for hundreds of years and how they have rights before the white asses who came over from Europe

if you really wanna know....the Inuit/Eskimo/whatever people have lived in North America since the fabled land bridge to the far N.W.......

DemonGeminiX
01-22-2015, 07:56 PM
And it's their own dumb asses for stopping in the damned Arctic Circle. They could've had beach front property on the Mexican shores for chrissakes. Stupid Eskimos.

[-(

Hal-9000
01-22-2015, 08:08 PM
And it's their own dumb asses for stopping in the damned Arctic Circle. They could've had beach front property on the Mexican shores for chrissakes. Stupid Eskimos.

[-(

Exactly :lol:

WTF....did they travel south for about 20 miles, temps rose to -25 and they said - Oooooh, this is nice, let's make a dwelling out of ice! :)

deebakes
01-23-2015, 02:52 AM
thank goodness, i almost thought i wouldn't be able to wank :lol: