PDA

View Full Version : McDonald's turns away horse carriage at drive-through

redred
05-26-2011, 09:36 AM
McDonald's has defended its decision to refuse to serve a couple in a horse and carriage at a drive-through restaurant.
The firm said it could only serve certain types of vehicles for health and safety reasons.
Debbie Murden, 42, from Pinxton in Derbyshire, said she was surprised to be turned away from the Alfreton branch as she had used it before.
McDonald's apologised for any confusion, adding that its policy would be reiterated to employees.
Ms Murden said she was allowed to use the drive-through at a nearby chicken restaurant without any problems.
'Safety a priority'
She tried to use her two-wheeled carriage at McDonald's at the weekend, just days after buying food from the same outlet in the carriage.
"They said it was dangerous," she said. "I'm not sure who they meant it was dangerous for, them or us or other people in the drive-through. But there was no danger there.
"I got in touch with McDonald's head office and asked why, if horses and motorbikes are not allowed through, are there no signs to say so? And why is it different from branch to branch?"
A McDonald's spokesperson said: "We're sorry to have disappointed Ms Debbie Murden and for any confusion caused.
"The health and safety of our customers is our top priority and for this reason we are unable to serve customers in a horse-drawn carriage.
"We will ensure this policy is reiterated to our employees so any inconsistency is avoided."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-derbyshire-13548984

redred
05-26-2011, 09:46 AM
this reminds me of a story i have , when i was banger racing ,there was a group off lads trying to get some food after a hard days racing they had there smashed cars on a back of a truck that wouldn't fit under the drive though canopy so got out and walked up to the window only to be told they can't serve people on foot ,after some heated words one went back to the truck used the crane to get one of the smashed cars off that would have looked very much like this

http://i.imgur.com/pjIcv.jpg

started it up and drove to the window ,by this point lots of people were watching and cheering this on ,any way mac'ds said no they couldn't serve that kind of car the police ended up being called and the out come after the police had a word with staff ,them boys were served big mac's :lol: they were told that it would be easier for them just to serve the food

AntZ
05-26-2011, 10:09 AM
If this happened in the U.S., I bet they would have found a lawyer by now!

When I was 15/16, I would ride a little motorcycle to high school. Once I used the drive thru at Jack-In-The-Box and the woman said that I couldn't do it again because the motorcycle was too small.

Muddy
05-26-2011, 10:25 AM
It's an insurance issue... It's not that McDonald's doesn't want your money.

Teh One Who Knocks
05-26-2011, 11:47 AM
It's an insurance issue... It's not that McDonald's doesn't want your money.

Exactly

beowulf
05-26-2011, 01:01 PM
lol....thats about 20 minutes drive from me

Arkady Renko
05-26-2011, 01:34 PM
I can see a class action suit by the amish in the near future...

Deepsepia
05-26-2011, 02:15 PM
What a missed opportunity. An enterprising manager would have gotten out the video cameras, called the newspapers, posted the story to Youtube-- acres of free publicity of a rather upscale and interesting kind.

lost in melb.
05-26-2011, 02:18 PM
this reminds me of a story i have , when i was banger racing ,there was a group off lads trying to get some food after a hard days racing they had there smashed cars on a back of a truck that wouldn't fit under the drive though canopy so got out and walked up to the window only to be told they can't serve people on foot ,after some heated words one went back to the truck used the crane to get one of the smashed cars off that would have looked very much like this

started it up and drove to the window ,by this point lots of people were watching and cheering this on ,any way mac'ds said no they couldn't serve that kind of car the police ended up being called and the out come after the police had a word with staff ,them boys were served big mac's :lol: they were told that it would be easier for them just to serve the food

Ha. Brilliant story

Godfather
05-26-2011, 04:06 PM
Swear to god I saw an old lady on a Rascal go through once

And one time we were hammered and did it in a shopping kart and they didn't turn us away... that was a good day :lol: Usually they do

Hal-9000
05-26-2011, 04:11 PM
When we were younger, my friend decided to drive through the Wendy's drive-thru backwards...

After we paid, they held our food and called the cops.Cops arrived and we used every excuse from - the driver (my friend Jay) couldn't speak english to his Biscayne forward gear was fucked.The cops ended up laughing at one point.

Cop walks over to the pissy drive thru chick and asks - Did these gentlemen pay for their food? Yes? Then damn well give it to them!!!! We got a warning.

Dodged a bullet there as Jay had been drinking and we were on other things.....

Acid Trip
05-26-2011, 04:19 PM
Maybe they should rename the drive thru. Call it " The Cars/SUVs/Trucks/Motorcycles only window".

Pony
05-26-2011, 04:23 PM
If it legal to drive on the street it should be allowed in the drive-thru.

Hal-9000
05-26-2011, 04:31 PM
For once the complainants do have a point...there is no sign that says - No horse and buggys...:rolleyes:

Teh One Who Knocks
05-26-2011, 04:42 PM
If it legal to drive on the street it should be allowed in the drive-thru.

They always fuck you at the drive-thru! :x

Hal-9000
05-26-2011, 04:55 PM

I go about twice a month....and they always forget shit!!!! :x :x

Acid Trip
05-26-2011, 05:00 PM

Lethal Weapon...3?

Teh One Who Knocks
05-26-2011, 05:02 PM
Lethal Weapon...3?

Close....#2 :thumbsup:

Teh One Who Knocks
05-26-2011, 05:03 PM
I go about twice a month....and they always forget shit!!!! :x :x

You know, for all the times I have hit the drive thru at a fast food joint, I can count on 1 hand the number of times they have screwed up one of my orders.

Hal-9000
05-26-2011, 05:21 PM
I usually order a pile of random stuff, I'm a binge eater at drive thru's..so I expect the odd screw up.

But when I order one milkshake and one salad and they forget the straw and get the salad type wrong...I get very pissed :x

Acid Trip
05-26-2011, 06:49 PM
You know, for all the times I have hit the drive thru at a fast food joint, I can count on 1 hand the number of times they have screwed up one of my orders.

Yeah but do you ask for special shit like no pickles, extra onions, or mustard only? I find that regular orders are usually correct but the special ones get all jacked up.

Anyone know if McDonald's still puts that "double checked for accuracy" sticker on the drive thru bags?

Teh One Who Knocks
05-26-2011, 06:54 PM
Yeah but do you ask for special shit like no pickles, extra onions, or mustard only? I find that regular orders are usually correct but the special ones get all jacked up.

Anyone know if McDonald's still puts that "double checked for accuracy" sticker on the drive thru bags?

If someone wants a special order then they should go inside. Don't hold up everyone else just because you don't like pickles and can't pull them out yourself before you eat your food.

If it was my restaurant, anyone that tried to order something special in the drive thru would get a bullet in the head. Guarantee I would be the most popular restaurant in town.

Hal-9000
05-26-2011, 06:55 PM

Mine are never special....I rarely deviate from what normally comes with the item.

In our world they have 3 types of salad.I ordered a large Caesar and got a Garden something or other....:x

bad part was I was halfway home before checking and won't do a Saturday night drive thru line up twice

Hal-9000
05-26-2011, 06:59 PM
If someone wants a special order then they should go inside. Don't hold up everyone else just because you don't like pickles and can't pull them out yourself before you eat your food.

If it was my restaurant, anyone that tried to order something special in the drive thru would get a bullet in the head. Guarantee I would be the most popular restaurant in town.

my friend hates mayonnaise...every place we go, he specifically asks for no mayo.He's ranted about places screwing it up since I've met him.
And about 50% of the time I'm with him, they screw it up :lol:

I told recently told him to check while at the window, then throw it back at them and complain of a mayo allergy or some other bullshit so they remember :lol:

I think it's perfectly fine to ask for no pickles etc....you are paying for the food and if they typically put mustard on it without you asking it for example, I believe you have the right to ask for it to be skipped :thumbsup:

Teh One Who Knocks
05-26-2011, 07:02 PM
my friend hates mayonnaise...every place we go, he specifically asks for no mayo.He's ranted about places screwing it up since I've met him.
And about 50% of the time I'm with him, they screw it up :lol:

I told recently told him to check while at the window, then throw it back at them and complain of a mayo allergy or some other bullshit so they remember :lol:

I think it's perfectly fine to ask for no pickles etc....you are paying for the food and if they typically put mustard on it without you asking it for example, I believe you have the right to ask for it to be skipped :thumbsup:

Yes, you do have the right to ask for special things....inside the restaurant. The drive-thru is supposed to be quick and if you can't just order what's on the menu, then go inside. Problem solved. ;)

It's just like the people at the grocery store that magically don't notice they are in the express lane until they have already started having their items rung up when they have a full fucking cart of food. They'd get the bullet in the head treatment in my world too :)

Acid Trip
05-26-2011, 07:11 PM
Yes, you do have the right to ask for special things....inside the restaurant. The drive-thru is supposed to be quick and if you can't just order what's on the menu, then go inside. Problem solved. ;)

It's just like the people at the grocery store that magically don't notice they are in the express lane until they have already started having their items rung up when they have a full fucking cart of food. They'd get the bullet in the head treatment in my world too :)

I call those people out in front of everyone in hopes they will be so embarrassed they'll think twice about doing it again. "Sir I see you have a full basket in a 12 items or less lane. Are you illiterate or do you think you're more important that everyone else?"

The cashiers love it because they aren't allowed to say thing.

PorkChopSandwiches
05-26-2011, 07:38 PM
I call those people out in front of everyone in hopes they will be so embarrassed they'll think twice about doing it again. "Sir I see you have a full basket in a 12 items or less lane. Are you illiterate or do you think you're more important that everyone else?"

The cashiers love it because they aren't allowed to say thing.
:tup:

I hate that shit, I have 3 items and some asshole has a cart full of shit in front of me. Trying to count 5 cans of soup as 1 item....then pull out a checkbook to pay :mad:

Teh One Who Knocks
05-26-2011, 07:44 PM

I hate that shit, I have 3 items and some asshole has a cart full of shit in front of me. Trying to count 5 cans of soup as 1 item....then pull out a checkbook to pay :mad:

Now all the morons have drifted over to the self-service checkouts. I can be in and done at the self-serve in under 3 minutes when I get to the check-out, but now there are people with overflowing carts taking their sweet old time ringing things up or there are morons that have no idea how to use the fucking self-checkout and they have to call someone over to help them. Go to a regular fucking cashier FFS! :x

Acid Trip
05-26-2011, 07:46 PM

Oh man, do not even get me started on people who write checks! That shit is sooooo fucking annoying! I think I remember reading that England was going to do away with checks completely in the coming years.

PorkChopSandwiches
05-26-2011, 07:50 PM
I dont even carry a checkbook. I can't remember the last time I wrote a check, my wife will write one from time to time for bills, but almost everything is done through the web now anyway, so there is hardly a need for it.

Teh One Who Knocks
05-26-2011, 07:51 PM
Oh man, do not even get me started on people who write checks! That shit is sooooo fucking annoying! I think I remember reading that England was going to do away with checks completely in the coming years.

I dont even carry a checkbook. I can't remember the last time I wrote a check, my wife will write one from time to time for bills, but almost everything is done through the web now anyway, so there is hardly a need for it.

I rarely even have cash on me even anymore...I either use a credit card or a debit card.

PorkChopSandwiches
05-26-2011, 07:53 PM
Me to, and soon I'll just have my google wallet ;)

Muddy
05-26-2011, 08:43 PM
thats gay

Acid Trip
05-26-2011, 08:54 PM
I rarely even have cash on me even anymore...I either use a credit card or a debit card.

I only carry cash when I'm headed to pick up my weed :mrgreen:

Hal-9000
05-26-2011, 09:05 PM

:lol:

oh, I see.That's how it is in your world.So if you're in the drive thru line up and you hear a guy say something like - hold the pickles - Do you get out of your truck and make a citizen's drive thru arrest? :lol: