PDA

View Full Version : It’s Official: If You Question Authority, You Are Mentally Ill

FBD
01-21-2015, 09:40 PM
http://www.acting-man.com/?p=35319

It’s Official: If You Question Authority, You Are Mentally Ill

Only the Sheeple Are Sane

This post is about an issue that is by now a bit dated (though the topic as such certainly isn’t), but we have only just become aware of it and it seemed to us worth rescuing it from the memory hole. In late 2013, the then newest issue of the American Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM for short) defined a new mental illness, the so-called “oppositional defiant disorder” or ODD.

As TheMindUnleashed.org informs us (http://themindunleashed.org/2013/11/nonconformity-and-freethinking-now.html), the definition of this new mental illness essentially amounts to declaring any non-conformity and questioning of authority as a form of insanity. According to the manual, ODD is defined as:

[…] an “ongoing pattern of disobedient, hostile and defiant behavior,” symptoms include questioning authority, negativity, defiance, argumentativeness, and being easily annoyed.

In short, as Natural News (http://www.naturalnews.com/044862_psychiatrists_mental_illness_oppositional_d efiant_disorder.html) put it (http://www.naturalnews.com/044862_psychiatrists_mental_illness_oppositional_d efiant_disorder.html): According to US psychiatrists, only the sheeple are sane.

Every time a new issue of the DSM appears, the number of mental disorders grows – and this growth is exponential. A century ago there were essentially 7 disorders, 80 years ago there were 59, 50 years ago there were 130, and by 2010 there were 374 (77 of which were “found” in just seven years). A prominent critic of this over-diagnosing (and the associated over-medication trend) is psychologist Dr. Paula Caplan. Here is an interview with her:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKbybLM12yc&x-yt-cl=84359240&x-yt-ts=1421782837

(skip skip)

So why have so many former “personality traits” been transformed into symptoms of mental illness? One major reason is money. Here are a few data points that shed light on the monetary side of the psychiatry business; the data are by now slightly dated, but they suffice to get the point across. As of 2010:

Global sales of anti-depressants, stimulants, anti-anxiety and anti-psychotic drugs had reached more than $76 billion per year.

Globally, 54 million people were taking anti-depressants that are known to cause addiction, and often violent and homicidal behavior.

In the US, 20% of all women were taking mental health medication in 2010. Essentially every fourth female is prozac’d into quietude.

20 million children worldwide had been diagnosed with mental disorders and were prescribed stimulants and/or powerful anti-depressants.

In 2002, more than 100 million prescriptions were written for anti-depressants alone (cost: $19.5 billion nominal)

In France, one in seven prescriptions is for a psychotropic drug and more than 50% of the employed were taking such drugs (as of 2010, 1.8 million people).

Between 1986 and 2004, combined spending on anti-psychotic drugs and anti-depressants jumped from $500 million to $20 billion.

In the US, the mental health budget, adjusted for inflation, has soared from $33 billion in 1994 to $ 80 billion in 2010 (similar increases have occurred elsewhere).

(data via Stefan Molyneux)

Stefan Molyneux whom we got the above data from also reports that according to the US National Institute of Mental Health (in 2010) “26% of Americans suffer from mental illness” and “nearly 58 million Americans will suffer from an episode of mental illness in any given year”. There you have it – we’re literally surrounded by lunatics. As Molyneux rightly points out: if there is a disease for which we have effective cures, then application of this cure should reduce the prevalence of the disease.

http://www.acting-man.com/blog/media/2015/01/Mentally-disabled-in-the-US.png

“In short, the whole business of creating psychiatric categories of ‘disease,’ formalizing them with consensus, and subsequently ascribing diagnostic codes to them, which in turn leads to their use for insurance billing, is nothing but an extended racket furnishing psychiatry a pseudo-scientific aura. The perpetrators are, of course, feeding at the public trough.”

“Anti-authoritarians question whether an authority is a legitimate one before taking that authority seriously. Evaluating the legitimacy of authorities includes assessing whether or not authorities actually know what they are talking about, are honest, and care about those people who are respecting their authority. And when anti-authoritarians assess an authority to be illegitimate, they challenge and resist that authority—sometimes aggressively and sometimes passive-aggressively, sometimes wisely and sometimes not.

Some activists lament how few anti-authoritarians there appear to be in the United States. One reason could be that many natural anti-authoritarians are now psycho-pathologized and medicated before they achieve political consciousness of society’s most oppressive authorities.”

“The selection and socialization of mental health professionals tends to breed out many anti-authoritarians. Having steered the higher-education terrain for a decade of my life, I know that degrees and credentials are primarily badges of compliance.

In connection with ODD diagnoses, Dr. Levine not unreasonably asks “Do we really want to diagnose and medicate everyone with “deficits in rule-governed behavior”?”

“What better way to maintain the status quo than to view inattention, anger, anxiety, and depression as biochemical problems of those who are mentally ill rather than normal reactions to an increasingly authoritarian society.

[…]

So authoritarians financially marginalize those who buck the system, they criminalize anti-authoritarianism, they psychopathologize anti-authoritarians, and they market drugs for their “cure.”

(truncated a bunch to shorten it up, whole article at the link. yall know damned well "what the government wants," it subsidizes.)

Noilly Pratt
01-21-2015, 11:08 PM
My dad always taught me the intelligent mind questions. When I got to school they put me in detention for asking too many questions, and my father went up one side and down the other at them...

Now that I'm older I know now what was happening...the teacher was a book teacher. Opened the book and read it out like a parrot with 0 understanding. He got all bent out of shape because he couldn't answer the questions.

In this life you have to be a bit damaged to cope I think...

RBP
01-21-2015, 11:37 PM
We have an ignore list. :woot:

deebakes
01-21-2015, 11:53 PM
Now that I'm older I know now what was happening...the teacher was a book teacher. Opened the book and read it out like a parrot with 0 understanding. He got all bent out of shape because he couldn't answer the questions.

i was dropping my kid off at school the other day and his teacher was getting the math lesson for the day taught to her by another teacher at the school. it's 5th grade math ffs, it's not rocket science. made me think, "this is who they feel is qualified to teach my kid?" :shrug:

DemonGeminiX
01-22-2015, 12:54 AM
i was dropping my kid off at school the other day and his teacher was getting the math lesson for the day taught to her by another teacher at the school. it's 5th grade math ffs, it's not rocket science. made me think, "this is who they feel is qualified to teach my kid?" :shrug:

I would raise all kinds of hell if I witnessed that. They'd put my ass on the evening news.

deebakes
01-22-2015, 12:57 AM
i'm a sheep :sad2:

DemonGeminiX
01-22-2015, 01:01 AM
:empathy:

Maybe they'll know how to teach math over in the Netherlands.

deebakes
01-22-2015, 02:09 AM
she "taught" him that day :shrug:

FBD
01-22-2015, 03:02 PM
Arent ignore lists wonderful? Fuckwad :lol:

FBD
01-22-2015, 03:20 PM
http://www.zerohedge.com/sites/default/files/images/user3303/imageroot/2015/01/20150121_4th.jpg

redred
01-22-2015, 03:32 PM
We have an ignore list. :woot:

i'm going to take screen grabs and pm you with them :lol:

FBD
01-22-2015, 03:44 PM
:woot:

RBP
01-22-2015, 06:16 PM
i'm going to take screen grabs and pm you with them :lol:
I saw 2. One was me being called a fuckwad and the other was implied as me being a jerkoff. Glad to see that's what we have been reduced to on this board. I need not see more.

redred
01-22-2015, 06:41 PM
i tend not to read his posts and i guess if the response is name calling then it shows you've won the argument :tup:

Hal-9000
01-22-2015, 06:54 PM
My dad always taught me the intelligent mind questions. When I got to school they put me in detention for asking too many questions, and my father went up one side and down the other at them...

In this life you have to be a bit damaged to cope I think...

I was taught the same. I questioned a handful of teachers over the years....in particular a female phys ed teacher named Ms. Dyke (I shit you not) and a social studies teacher who tended to bring his own feelings and suppositions to our class, rather than course content.

I remember him throwing a fit after a handful of questions from me, becoming enraged in front of the class and sending me to "SEE THE PRINCIPAL!" ...I calmly asked - Reason? His response - Arrrrrghhhhhhharafghh!!!!

and that's exactly what I told them when they asked :lol:

FBD
01-22-2015, 07:03 PM
i tend not to read his posts and i guess if the response is name calling then it shows you've won the argument :tup:
if that's what's needed to make oneself comfortable :tup: perhaps a cup of warm milk and a biscuit on the side?

RBP
01-22-2015, 08:15 PM
Now I'm an overly sensitive pussy! The hits just keep on coming.

redred
01-22-2015, 08:30 PM
No I think the milk was for me :shrug:

FBD
01-22-2015, 09:07 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8ukak8P2vY

Pony
01-22-2015, 10:54 PM
Arent ignore lists wonderful? Fuckwad :lol:

That's enough of that.

deebakes
01-23-2015, 02:47 AM