PDA

View Full Version : Justice Department working on national car-tracking database

Teh One Who Knocks
01-27-2015, 11:55 AM
FOX News

http://i.imgur.com/bqp9ihX.jpg

The Justice Department has acknowledged constructing a database to track the movements of millions of vehicles across the U.S. in real time.

The program, whose existence was first reported by The Wall Street Journal, is primarily overseen by the Drug Enforcement Agency (DEA) to combat drug trafficking near the U.S.-Mexico border. However, government emails indicate that the agency has been working to expand the database throughout the United States over the past several years.

A Justice Department spokesman told Fox News that the tracking program is compliant with federal, claiming it "includes protocols that limit who can access the database and all of the license plate information is deleted after 90 days." In 2012, a DEA agent testified before a House subcommittee that the program was inaugurated in December 2008 and information gathered by it was available to federal, state, and local law enforcement organizations.

It is not clear whether the tracking is overseen or approved by any court.

According to the Journal, the DEA program uses high-tech cameras placed on major highways to collect information on vehicle movements, including location and direction. Many of the devices are able to record images of drivers and passengers, some of which are clear enough identify individuals. Documents seen by the Journal also show that the DEA uses information from federal, state, and local license plate readers to burnish their own program.

FBD
01-27-2015, 02:23 PM
we have nothing to worry about, this will clearly be only used for its intended purpose with the strictest of oversights

Teh One Who Knocks
01-27-2015, 03:23 PM
"includes protocols that limit who can access the database and all of the license plate information is deleted after 90 days."

Sure it does :tup:

KevinD
01-27-2015, 04:44 PM
My wife stills yells at me when I flip the bird at these cameras.

PorkChopSandwiches
01-27-2015, 05:09 PM
One thing I can tell you from experience, is the government is honest and always works in the best interest f the people

FBD
01-27-2015, 05:44 PM
This reminds me of when my gramp was out of his mind on the drugs before he died of cancer. His bed rail was not quite even. So he says to my brother, Bri, get me a hacksaw, we need to cut this pipe off here and re-weld it back on straight. My bro tried convincing him that it was stainless and we didnt have the right sticks to weld it, but gramp said no they're in the back of the garage by the welder :lol: He knew technical things still but there were just aspects of reality that just had flatlined signal.

The government seems to approach reality in rather the same way, they cant really tell what's actually constitutional or not, so they just pass whatever they feel like passing, and call it legal.

...now for the non naive, after we've finished chuckling...yeah that dysfunction is clearly just accidental :lol: