PDA

View Full Version : Which U.S. State Is Most Corrupt?

Teh One Who Knocks
01-27-2015, 03:39 PM
By Karen Eisenberg - Opposing Views

http://i.imgur.com/MCXxT14.jpg

Have you ever wondered how politically corrupt the state you live in actually is? Data Lab from fivethirtyeight.com ranked each state for government corruption using four measures: corruption convictions, convictions per capita, reporter ratings, and lack of stringent laws.

New York scores at number 1 for most officials convicted in federal court on corruption (2,522 convictions during 1976 to 2010). California comes in 2nd with Illinois, Florida, and Pennsylvania trailing behind. Because these states have some of the largest populations, and therefore have more politicians, Data Lab took it one step further and measured convictions per capita.

The findings per capita rank Louisiana as the number 1 most corrupt state. Mississippi is number 2. Interestingly, California moves to 34 and New York to 11.

http://i.imgur.com/lBvA1Od.jpg

Data Lab only measured corruption in terms of federal crimes. Most times, corruption is committed under the radar and those participating are never caught. To obtain more accurate results, Data Lab relies on a survey conducted by Oguzhan Dincer and Michael Johnston of Harvard University’s Center for Ethics.

Dincer and Johnston contacted 280 state political reporters and asked each questions pertaining to illegal and legal corruption in their state governments. Their findings suggest that Kentucky is the most corrupt state for both legal and illegal corruption. Mississippi moves to number 7 and California goes down to number 9.

Lastly Data Lab relied on a study which ranked each state by measuring lack of stringent laws. According to fivethirtyeight.com, no striking connection was found between states which have anti-corruption laws and actual corruption.

Ranking in the top 15, New York holds the record for highest corruption in each category. Ijreview.com reports that based on Data Lab’s study, the least corrupt states are Nebraska and Oregon (tied at 43.5) Vermont and then Iowa.

FBD
01-27-2015, 03:50 PM
:lol: they are going by these statistics, which speak of corruption convictions? and then go by bits from political reporters :lol:

:rofl: cute.

another example of garbage statistics, but nice attempt anyway

Loser
01-27-2015, 04:17 PM
Bullshit illinois isn't the most corrupt :lol:

Cook county illinois and Lake county indiana are the most corrupt political bodies on the entire earth. Especially the shithole known as chicago.

PorkChopSandwiches
01-27-2015, 04:37 PM
We are less corrupt because we dont press charges :dance:

Teh One Who Knocks
01-27-2015, 04:54 PM
Bullshit illinois isn't the most corrupt :lol:

Cook county illinois and Lake county indiana are the most corrupt political bodies on the entire earth. Especially the shithole known as chicago.

You're still #3 :empathy:

FBD
01-27-2015, 05:37 PM
CT's got yall beat because people dont even complain when there's electoral fraud and nothing further's mentioned. They do it so well, we only hit 28 on the list, fuggin stealth :headbang:

Hal-9000
01-27-2015, 09:41 PM
I saw the same as FBD.....how much corruption is never reported/recognized?

ffs I'm one of the people who still thinks the Florida election results between Bush and Gore were massaged with money

FBD
01-28-2015, 02:00 PM
I have no doubt they were also, but on both sides there was electoral fraud - but the thing is, if Al was *that* confident, what was the problem recounting the whole state? Scotus said all or nothing, and Al only wanted his specified collection of counties recounted.