PDA

View Full Version : Ratko Mladic arrested: Bosnia war crimes suspect held

redred
05-26-2011, 01:18 PM
Ratko Mladic, wanted by UN prosecutors for war crimes during the Bosnian civil war in the 1990s, has been arrested in Serbia and is being flown to The Hague.
Serbian President Boris Tadic confirmed the arrest of the former Bosnian Serb army chief at a news conference.
Gen Mladic is accused over the massacre of at least 7,500 Bosnian Muslim men and boys at Srebrenica in 1995.
He was the most prominent Bosnian war crimes suspect at large since the arrest of Radovan Karadzic in 2008.
President Tadic said work was under way to extradite Gen Mladic to the international war crimes tribunal in The Hague, and it later emerged that that a plane carrying the suspect had taken off from Belgrade for the Dutch city.
The detention, the Serbian leader said, had closed one chapter in Serbian history, bringing the country and the region closer to reconciliation.
It had also opened the doors to membership of the European Union, he added.
A spokeswoman for families of Srebrenica victims, Hajra Catic, told AFP news agency: "After 16 years of waiting, for us, the victims' families, this is a relief."
Nato chief Anders Fogh Rasmussen hailed the arrest, saying it finally offered "a chance for justice to be done", while Swedish Foreign Minister Carl Bildt said Serbia's EU prospects were "now brighter than ever".
In other reaction:
US deputy national security adviser Ben Rhodes said the US was "delighted"
UK Defence Secretary Liam Fox said it was a chance for Serbians to "close a very unhappy chapter in their history"
Amnesty International legal expert Widney Brown said: "It took more than 15 years but at last the people who suffered have hope that he will be brought to justice"
'Village stake-out'
Gen Mladic was said by Serbian media to have been arrested in Vojvodina, a northern province of Serbia, in the early hours of Thursday morning.
President Tadic would only confirm he had been arrested "on Serbian soil", adding that details of the arrest would be released once an investigation had been completed.
Gen Mladic had reportedly been using the assumed name Milorad Komodic.
Serbian security sources told AFP that three special units had descended on a house in the village of Lazarevo, around 80km (50 miles) south-west of Belgrade and close to the Romanian border.
The house was owned by a relative of Gen Mladic and had been under surveillance for the past two weeks, one of the sources added.
Gen Mladic was indicted by the UN war crimes tribunal in The Hague in 1995 for genocide over the killings that July at Srebrenica - the worst single atrocity in Europe since World War II - and other crimes.
Having lived freely in the Serbian capital, Belgrade, he disappeared after the arrest of former Yugoslav President Slobodan Milosevic in 2001.
Speculation mounted that Gen Mladic would soon be arrested when Mr Karadzic was captured in Belgrade in July 2008.
Larry Hollingworth, a logistics officer with the UN refugee agency who regularly met Gen Mladic during the Bosnian war, said he was "absolutely delighted" by news of the arrest.
"He was a very, very imposing figure and managed to frighten a lot of people - certainly those who worked for him," he told BBC Radio 4.
"He also had, you know, quite a sense of humour. I remember once he said to me: 'You look like [Ernest] Hemingway.' And I said: 'I hope I don't sort of end up my life the way Hemingway ended up his, shooting himself.' And he said: 'Oh, if you keep offending me, you'll have no difficulty there.'"
'Not a calculation'
Just before news of Thursday's arrest, UN war crimes chief prosecutor Serge Brammertz accused Serbia of failing to do enough to find Gen Mladic.
"The capture is the biggest obligation of Serbia," he said in a report sent to the UN Security Council.
"Until now efforts by Serbia to detain fugitives have not been sufficient."
President Tadic rejected criticism that Serbia had only taken action following international pressure.
"It is crystal clear that we did not calculate when we had to arrest Ratko Mladic," he told the news conference on Thursday.
"We have been co-operating with the Hague Tribunal fully from the beginning of the mandate of this government."
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-13561407

Arkady Renko
05-26-2011, 01:34 PM
I wonder what made the serbian government change their mind at last? Did they really think they would have a chance of joining the EU while tacitly sabotaging the work of the international court?