PDA

View Full Version : Brian Williams lied about his copter being shot down in Iraq

Teh One Who Knocks
02-05-2015, 11:01 AM
By Howard Kurtz - FOX News

http://i.imgur.com/hpTntkx.jpg

Brian Williams, the nation’s top-rated news anchor, has admitted fabricating a tale of being shot down in a helicopter over Iraq a dozen years ago.

Williams apologized on the air Wednesday evening, saying: “I made a mistake in recalling the events of 12 years ago.”

Earlier, the NBC anchor told Stars & Stripes, which broke the story: “I would not have chosen to make this mistake. I don’t know what screwed up in my mind that caused me to conflate one aircraft with another.”

Williams did not make the claim in reporting on the incident in 2003. But he told the false story on the air in 2013, and lied about it again last Friday.

The admission raises serious questions about his credibility in a business that values that quality above all else. Williams is the longest-serving network anchor, his “NBC Nightly News” has been No. 1 in the ratings for nearly all of the last decade, and his comedic skills have led him to guest-host “Saturday Night Live” and become a regular on the “Daily Show.”

For such a high-profile journalist to acknowledge that he essentially invented a story that dramatized his bravery in a war zone is hard to fathom. Williams said he had misremembered the story and was sorry.

In a 2013 interview with CBS’s David Letterman, Williams said: "We were in some helicopters. What we didn’t know was, we were north of the invasion. We were the northernmost Americans in Iraq. We were going to drop some bridge portions across the Euphrates so the Third Infantry could cross on them. Two of the four helicopters were hit, by ground fire, including the one I was in, RPG and AK-47." That interview was first noted by the Washington Post.

Williams repeated the tale last week as he was paying tribute at a New York Rangers hockey game to retired soldier who provided security for grounded helicopters while Williams was in Iraq in 2003.

“The story actually started with a terrible moment a dozen years back during the invasion of Iraq when the helicopter we were traveling in was forced down after being hit by an RPG,” the anchor told viewers. “Our traveling NBC News team was rescued, surrounded and kept alive by an armor mechanized platoon from the U.S. Army 3rd Infantry.”

But his account was contradicted by crew members of the 159th Aviation Regiment on board a Chinook copter that was hit by two rockets and small arms fire. They told Stars & Stripes that Williams was nowhere near that helicopter and two other Chinooks in the formation that took fire.

The anchor and his NBC crew arrived in the area west of Baghdad on another helicopter about an hour later, they told the newspaper. The chopper landed because of an Iraqi sandstorm and was grounded by weather for two days.

“No, we never came under direct enemy fire to the aircraft,” Sgt. 1st Class Joseph Miller, the flight engineer on Williams’ helicopter, was quoted as saying.

Some of the crew members on the Chinook that was hit were clearly upset with the anchor’s now-discredited claim. Lance Reynolds, the flight engineer, told Stars & Stripes it had been a “life-changing” trauma and “felt like a personal experience that someone else wanted to participate in and didn’t deserve to participate in.”

NBC trumpeted the Williams saga, airing a story on March 26, 2003, with the headline: “Target Iraq: Helicopter NBC’s Brian Williams Was Riding In Comes Under Fire.” But he did not claim to be in the downed chopper, saying: “On the ground, we learn the Chinook ahead of us was almost blown out of the sky.”

In a 2008 blog post, he again wrote that the “Chinook helicopter flying in front of ours (from the 101st Airborne) took an RPG to the rear rotor.”

That makes it even more difficult to understand why Williams would repeat the claim last week, only to have it shot down by those who were there.

In a Facebook comment, Williams said: “I spent much of the weekend thinking I'd gone crazy. I feel terrible about making this mistake, especially since I found my OWN WRITING about the incident from back in '08, and I was indeed on the Chinook behind the bird that took the RPG in the tail housing just above the ramp. Because I have no desire to fictionalize my experience (we all saw it happened the first time) and no need to dramatize events as they actually happened, I think the constant viewing of the video showing us inspecting the impact area -- and the fog of memory over 12 years -- made me conflate the two, and I apologize.”

perrhaps
02-05-2015, 02:12 PM
Lying sack of shit.

PorkChopSandwiches
02-05-2015, 04:34 PM
Making a mistake and misremembering, Im pretty sure if ti happened it would be burned into your brain. #faggot

Teh One Who Knocks
02-05-2015, 04:57 PM
It's easy to get confused....being in a chopper taking enemy fire....being in one not taking enemy fire. It's pretty much the same :hand:

PorkChopSandwiches
02-05-2015, 05:06 PM
The sand storm must have confused him

Hal-9000
02-05-2015, 07:33 PM
he probably fell out of his Ford Bronco one night and confused the events

FBD
02-05-2015, 07:52 PM
he was just copying Hitlery talking about getting shot at in a steep descent....whereas everyone else on board said there was no fire and it was the typical green zone approach :lol: dumb asses.... both of them would cower so hard in a real war zone...

Goofy
02-05-2015, 08:20 PM
A journalist lied? :shock: That's almost as unbelievable as a politician lying........

DemonGeminiX
02-05-2015, 10:50 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCLizTg9nWo

Muddy
02-05-2015, 11:57 PM
This is a real shame, Mr. Williams...

Teh One Who Knocks
02-06-2015, 11:43 AM
#BrianWilliamsMisremembers imagines other events ‘conflated’ by NBC newsman
By Dylan Stableford - Yahoo! News

Brian Williams was mercilessly mocked on Twitter after the “NBC Nightly News” anchor admitted he was not aboard a U.S. Air Force helicopter that was hit by two rockets and grounded during the 2003 invasion of Iraq, as he had previously claimed.

In an interview with Stars & Stripes, Williams apologized, saying he had “misremembered” what happened.

Twitter users jumped at the rare opportunity to mock the longtime newsman, many using the hashtag #BrianWilliamsMisremembers.

http://i.imgur.com/YnosuLk.png

Williams reiterated his skewed version of events on the air last week during a report about a tribute for retired Command Sgt. Maj. Tim Terpak at a New York Rangers game, where the NBC anchor was reunited with the soldier who “saved” his life.

But in a comment on NBC Nightly News' Facebook page, members of the crew called Williams out.

“Sorry dude, I don't remember you being on my aircraft,” Flight Engineer Lance Reynolds wrote. “I do remember you walking up about an hour after we had landed to ask me what had happened. Then I remember you guys taking back off in a different flight of Chinooks from another unit and heading to Kuwait to report your 'war story' to the Nightly News. The whole time we were still stuck in Iraq trying to repair the aircraft and pulling our own Security.”

Williams later apologized in a Facebook comment.

“To Joseph, Lance, Jonathan, Pate, Michael and all those who have posted: You are absolutely right and I was wrong,” Williams wrote. “In fact, I spent much of the weekend thinking I'd gone crazy. I feel terrible about making this mistake.”

He formally recanted the story Wednesday.

“I would not have chosen to make this mistake,” Williams told Stars & Stripes. “I don’t know what screwed up in my mind that caused me to conflate one aircraft with another.”

For some, though, that explanation wasn't enough.

http://i.imgur.com/gLgyehI.png

In December, NBC signed Williams, who had recently celebrated his 10th anniversary as “Nightly News” anchor, to a new five-year contract worth a reported $10 million per year.

“Brian is one of the most trusted journalists of our time,” NBC News president Deborah Turness wrote in a memo to staffers announcing the new deal. “He has led this organization through every major news event for the last decade, from Hurricane Katrina in his first year in the anchor chair to his exclusive interview with Edward Snowden this year, through elections, wars, natural disasters, tragedies and triumphs. In all of those cases he’s taken ‘Nightly News’s’ viewers to the heart of the stories that matter most in a way that’s uniquely his.”

FBD
02-06-2015, 03:40 PM
:haha: so is he getting fired or is everyone in journalist land going to go oh, that was so funny!, what was that that ever happened again? brain williams is such a great guy :cheerlead:

Teh One Who Knocks
02-06-2015, 03:51 PM
Hudson Hongo - Gawker

http://i.imgur.com/6n1HGlA.jpg

According to the New York Post's Page Six, an NBC source says that Tom Brokaw wants Brian Williams' "head on a platter" after the anchor recanted his story about taking incoming fire in Iraq on Wednesday.

"He is making a lot of noise at NBC that a lesser journalist or producer would have been immediately fired or suspended for a false report," said the source.

The Post reports that Williams' fabrication was long-known at NBC, but at least one employee thinks the Nightly News anchor is unlikely to be punished.

"He is not going to be suspended or reprimanded in any way," a network source told the paper. "He has the full support of NBC News."

FBD
02-06-2015, 04:01 PM
exactly, suspended or immediately fired

Teh One Who Knocks
02-11-2015, 11:45 AM
By Dylan Stableford - Yahoo! News

Brian Williams has been suspended from "NBC Nightly News" without pay for six months, the network announced Tuesday.

The announcement comes amid an ongoing internal investigation into whether Williams exaggerated stories during his public appearances as managing editor of the top-rated evening news program, both on NBC and elsewhere.

Last week, the embattled anchor apologized after it was discovered he embellished events that occurred in 2003 while he was covering the war in Iraq. Subsequently, other stories, including his reporting from New Orleans during Hurricane Katrina, have come under intense scrutiny.

"Brian has a responsibility to be truthful and to uphold the high standards of the news division at all times," NBC News president Deborah Turness wrote in a memo to staffers.

Turness also defended not suspending Williams permanently.

"We felt it would have been wrong to disregard the good work Brian has done and the special relationship he has forged with our viewers over 22 years," she wrote. "Millions of Americans have turned to him every day, and he has been an important and well-respected part of our organization."

Williams announced Saturday that he was taking a temporary leave of absence from the “Nightly News” broadcast for “several days.”

“In the midst of a career spent covering and consuming news, it has become painfully apparent to me that I am presently too much a part of the news, due to my actions,” Williams said in a memo to NBC staffers. “Upon my return, I will continue my career-long effort to be worthy of the trust of those who place their trust in us.”

Lester Holt, who has been filling in for Williams this week, will continue as the substitute anchor in Williams' absence.

In December, NBC signed Williams — who had recently celebrated his 10th anniversary as “Nightly News” anchor — to a new five-year contract worth a reported $10 million per year.

In a statement announcing his new contract, Turness called Williams "one of the most trusted journalists of our time."

Not anymore. According to the Celebrity DBI — an index cited by the New York Times — Williams was the 23rd-most-trusted person in the country before his apology. On Monday, Williams was ranked No. 835.

By comparison, "Daily Show" host Jon Stewart, who announced Tuesday he will leave the show later this year, was ranked No. 692. Fox News' Bill O'Reilly was ranked No. 3,021.

Below, Turness' full memo:

Sent: Tuesday, February 10, 2015 7:47 PM
To: @NBC Uni NBC News All
Subject: Brian Williams

All,

We have decided today to suspend Brian Williams as Managing Editor and Anchor of NBC Nightly News for six months. The suspension will be without pay and is effective immediately. We let Brian know of our decision earlier today. Lester Holt will continue to substitute Anchor the NBC Nightly News.

Our review, which is being led by Richard Esposito working closely with NBCUniversal General Counsel Kim Harris, is ongoing, but I think it is important to take you through our thought process in coming to this decision.

While on Nightly News on Friday, January 30, 2015, Brian misrepresented events which occurred while he was covering the Iraq War in 2003. It then became clear that on other occasions Brian had done the same while telling that story in other venues. This was wrong and completely inappropriate for someone in Brian’s position.

In addition, we have concerns about comments that occurred outside NBC News while Brian was talking about his experiences in the field.

As Managing Editor and Anchor of Nightly News, Brian has a responsibility to be truthful and to uphold the high standards of the news division at all times.

Steve Burke, Pat Fili and I came to this decision together. We felt it would have been wrong to disregard the good work Brian has done and the special relationship he has forged with our viewers over 22 years. Millions of Americans have turned to him every day, and he has been an important and well-respected part of our organization.

As I’m sure you understand, this was a very hard decision. Certainly there will be those who disagree. But we believe this suspension is the appropriate and proportionate action.

This has been a difficult time. But NBC News is bigger than this moment. You work so hard and dedicate yourselves each and every day to the important work of bringing trusted, credible news to our audience. Because of you, your loyalty, your dedication, NBC News is an organization we can — and should — all be proud of. We will get through this together.

Steve Burke asked me to share the following message.

“This has been a painful period for all concerned and we appreciate your patience while we gathered the available facts. By his actions, Brian has jeopardized the trust millions of Americans place in NBC News. His actions are inexcusable and this suspension is severe and appropriate. Brian’s life’s work is delivering the news. I know Brian loves his country, NBC News and his colleagues. He deserves a second chance and we are rooting for him. Brian has shared his deep remorse with me and he is committed to winning back everyone’s trust.”

Deborah

FBD
02-11-2015, 03:30 PM
:roll: slap on the wrist and he can well afford a 6 month vacation

DemonGeminiX
02-11-2015, 09:23 PM
NBC's got their accounting department investigating him now. He's done. He's out. When they sick the accounting department on you, they're looking for a reason to get rid of you and save money while doing it.

FBD
02-11-2015, 09:36 PM
and he did have Tom Brokaw come out and say he should have been immediately fired.

I do hope I lose my bet w Hal, but I dont think they're going to whack him unless he's got some bad stuff in his books.

DemonGeminiX
02-11-2015, 10:06 PM
He's already made NBC look really bad. There's no saving face with him. I'm predicting he's done.

FBD
02-11-2015, 10:19 PM
pony up at the betting table then :lol:

DemonGeminiX
02-11-2015, 10:21 PM
Already did.

FBD
02-11-2015, 10:39 PM
thought of that just after I hit reply :lol:

Hal-9000
02-12-2015, 05:05 AM
That's my footprint