PDA

View Full Version : Neighborhood With 'Caucasian' Rule Closes Black Man's Home Business

Teh One Who Knocks
02-05-2015, 11:13 AM
By Michael Allen - Opposing Views

http://i.imgur.com/99N1r3C.png

James Mosbey, an African American, was told by a Houston-area neighborhood group in 2013 to take down signs outside his home that advertised his home businesses.

The Northwood Park Civic Association filed a lawsuit to close down Mosbey's home businesses in August 2013. In response, Mosbey filed a complaint against the neighborhood group with the Texas Workforce Commission (TWC) in 2014.

The TWC investigated the matter and found that the Northwood Park Civic Association doesn't object to three white residents who operate home businesses. One of those white residents reportedly places home business signs in his yard.

The TWC filed a lawsuit last week against the Northwood Park Civic Association for allegedly violating the Texas Fair Housing Act.

"We certainly deny that there's any racial discrimination in what we've attempted to do here in our neighborhood," Northwood Park Civic Association president Terri O'Leary told the Houston Press.

However, RawStory.com notes that the Northwood Park Civic Association website's archives have a racist history.

One the 2004 bylaws of the Northwood Park Civic Association states, "No lot in said Subdivision nor any interest therein shall ever be sold, leased or rented to, or occupied by any person other than the Caucasian race.”

A 2013 newsletter by the Northwood Park Civic Association said the group had been trying to gather signatures to change the rule, but was unable to do so.

(Note: The sign pictured above is from Detroit, Michigan, circa 1942)

Hal-9000
02-05-2015, 09:27 PM
One the 2004 bylaws of the Northwood Park Civic Association states, "No lot in said Subdivision nor any interest therein shall ever be sold, leased or rented to, or occupied by any person other than the Caucasian race.

holy crap.....and a whopping 11 years ago I imagine that they had white only and colored peopled drinking fountains in the same neighborhood as well

PorkChopSandwiches
02-05-2015, 09:32 PM
Well its spelled out in the law, no foul

Hal-9000
02-05-2015, 09:35 PM
Well its spelled out in the law, no foul

don't you have a bonfire to attend in your gated community tonight?

http://i.imgur.com/dtQIYVl.jpg