PDA

View Full Version : Zach Braff apologizes after 'racist' tweet comparing Pharrell's Grammy outfit to the flying monkey in The Wizard of Oz

Teh One Who Knocks
02-11-2015, 12:17 PM
By David Mccormack and Wills Robinson For Dailymail.com

http://i.imgur.com/EYJKlA9.jpg

Scrubs actor Zach Braff has apologized after a tweet he sent on Sunday night comparing Pharrell’s bellboy outfit at the Grammys to the flying monkey in The Wizard of Oz got him into trouble.

For the performance of his award-winning song Happy, singer/producer Pharrell wore a bellboy-type hat and jacket that provoked much online debate.

While many viewers tweeted about Pharrell’s likeness to the bellhop in the movie The Grand Budapest Hotel, others wondered if – given his political-charged performance – the outfit was a reference to black bellhops.

Braff joined the online debate when he jokingly shared a side-by-side picture of Pharrell and the flying monkey from the 2013 The Wizard of Oz-remake – Oz The Great and Powerful.

'Grammys are time-delayed in LA (?!) but someone just sent me this: #IWoreItBetter,’ he tweeted.

His post sparked much intense debate online and he was called out for not realizing that comparing African Americans to monkeys could be construed as an offensive racial slur.

On Monday Braff posted an apology, claiming that his reference was inspired by his voiceover role as a monkey in Oz.

'I love Pharrell. I thought the outfit he wore was similar to that of my bell hop in Oz. I apologize,’ he tweeted.

http://i.imgur.com/ncYBqMZ.png

Pharrell took home two Grammys - Best Solo Performance and Best Video - for his song Happy on the night.

His performance during the award show also provoked a reaction as it included dancers in black hoodies who struck a 'hands up, don't shoot' pose - a reference to the slogan used by protesters after the Michael Brown shooting.

The gesture is the same that has recently been used by demonstrators protesting the death of other unarmed black men at the hands of police - including Eric Garner in New York City.

The use of hoods was a reference to the death of Trayvon Martin, who was shot and killed by George Zimmerman in 2012.

http://i.imgur.com/B8SJXRc.png

However the 'hands up'' refers to Michael Brown, who was gunned down by police officer Darren Wilson in Ferguson, Missouri, last year.

Some accounts of the deadly incident claimed the unarmed black teenager had his hands up when the cop shot him.

A movement which followed adopted the slogan 'Black Lives Matter' and has been used by various celebrities during high profile events and awards ceremonies.

Prince was one of the stars who used the phrase during the ceremony.

Before presenting the award for best album, he said: 'Albums... remember those? Albums still matter. Like books and black lives, albums still matter.'

Muddy
02-11-2015, 01:10 PM
"racist" huh? smh..

Teh One Who Knocks
02-11-2015, 01:13 PM
Racism! Racsim everywhere! :freakout:

Muddy
02-11-2015, 01:16 PM
We had a planned public forum last night in Richmond where the police came out to discuss all this malarkey they are accused of.. The major group around here that has been laying in the middle of busy streets and getting all the news attention? They didn't show up...

Richmond police meet with community; rights group Justice RVA a no-show

http://www.richmond.com/news/article_1e59e2df-35dc-588b-b2c1-3cba0121a646.html

Goofy
02-11-2015, 01:36 PM
We had a planned public forum last night in Richmond where the police came out to discuss all this malarkey they are accused of.. The major group around here that has been laying in the middle of busy streets and getting all the news attention? They didn't show up...

Of course they didnt turn up, common sense and discussion is way beyond their tiny brains :)

Teh One Who Knocks
02-11-2015, 01:38 PM
Of course they didnt turn up, common sense and discussion is way beyond their tiny brains :)

So black people have tiny brains? :-s

:racist:

Goofy
02-11-2015, 01:42 PM
So black people have tiny brains? :-s

:racist:
The ones that lay in the road most certainly do :ok:

Hal-9000
02-11-2015, 05:20 PM
it was a legit comparison for the outfit..

ffs I remember when Howard Cosell got in a buttload of shit for saying - And that little monkey made the catch! (it was a great catch)

Cosell wasn't a racist man, some of his black friends defended him yet he still had to apologize

PorkChopSandwiches
02-11-2015, 05:44 PM
:facepalm:

Hikari Kisugi
02-11-2015, 07:34 PM
Weird, the picture made it look like he was comparing the outfits, not comparing the two people wearing them.
I guess I completely misunderstood the intended racism ;)

Hal-9000
02-11-2015, 07:48 PM
game, set, match for Ms. Hikari :)

Goofy
02-11-2015, 08:05 PM
Weird, the picture made it look like he was comparing the outfits, not comparing the two people wearing them.
I guess I completely misunderstood the intended racism ;)

You damn racist [-(

Goofy
02-11-2015, 08:06 PM
What a load of bollocks though, fuckin' everything is fuckin' racist these days......... some fuckers need to get a fuckin' life!

Hal-9000
02-11-2015, 08:15 PM
Did you know : That Scottish people's brains are on average, 1.8 kilograms lighter than the average brain. And the average Scottish IQ is 20 points lower than the norm?

read that in the Irish Almanac :lol:

Goofy
02-11-2015, 08:18 PM
Did you know : That Scottish people's brains are on average, 1.8 kilograms lighter than the average brain. And the average Scottish IQ is 20 points lower than the norm?

read that in the Irish Almanac :lol:

I have a 135 IQ :)

What is a good IQ score? What is a high IQ score? What is a low IQ score? These are common questions, particularly after someone finds out their score from an IQ test.

Lewis Terman (1916) developed the original notion of IQ and proposed this scale for classifying IQ scores:

Over 140 - Genius or near genius

120 - 140 - Very superior intelligence

110 - 119 - Superior intelligence

90 - 109 - Normal or average intelligence

80 - 89 - Dullness

70 - 79 - Borderline deficiency

Under 70 - Definite feeble-mindedness

Not dumb but i like to play the part every now and again :lol:

Hal-9000
02-11-2015, 08:21 PM
I was trying to be racist

give me a break, I'm new :lol:

*and if you knew my IQ some eyebrows would be raised

Hal-9000
02-11-2015, 08:21 PM
*it's somewhere north of 85 :tup:

Goofy
02-11-2015, 08:24 PM
I was trying to be racist

give me a break, I'm new :lol:

*and if you knew my IQ some eyebrows would be raised

People can say anything they like to me and i couldn't give a shit, being offended is for idiots :tup: I think i've heard every derogatory term for a Scotsman......... not bothered in the slightest :lol: I have better things to worry about.

*it's somewhere north of 85 :tup:

86? :-s

FBD
02-11-2015, 09:33 PM

at least he said people have the right to videotape officers

and yes, comply with arrest......when actually being arrested. how's about when you're not being arrested? how's about when an officer is not "in the middle of an investigation?" Those are things that arent mentioned, because there is no requirement to comply in such situations. if an officer wants to act like people are lawfully compelled to comply where that is not lawfully applicable, then we have a policing problem.

(that of course does not include lawful arrests and detainments, keeping people out of lying in the middle of the street, etc.)

if the protestors thought this event was tainted, did they even attempt to set up such a dialogue with the new incoming police chief? doesnt sound very likely they did, sounds like these fools are just out for al sharpton justice and dont want to actually communicate with the police. but then again, given how certain police forces are around here, I can somewhat sympathize with their position. if the old guy's a bastard and so is the new guy, what are you going to accomplish?

but then again, what are these people trying to accomplish in the first place? have Obama issue an executive order saying black lives matter? :lol:

cripes if you're going to protest make it coherent and dont be dumbasses.

there's a cave somewhere with my name on it :lol:

deebakes
02-12-2015, 01:55 AM
I have a 135 IQ :)

with all of the drinking, it's probably more accurate to say "had" :shrug: