PDA

View Full Version : Judge rules you cannot sue the NSA for secretly spying on you unless you can prove they are secretly spying on you

PorkChopSandwiches
02-12-2015, 08:28 PM
A California district judge ruled on Tuesday U.S. citizens cannot sue the National Security Agency for invading their privacy covertly unless the citizen can prove, without a doubt, the NSA was spying secretly on the citizen.

District Judge Jeffrey White ruled in Jewel v. NSA, the plaintiff could not sue the NSA because they did not obtain and provide for the courts any evidence showing their personal information was collected by the agency. Because of Jewel’s failure to provide such information, White wrote, according to Mother Jones, “even if Plaintiffs could establish standing, a potential Fourth Amendment Claim would have to be dismissed on the basis that any possible defenses would require impermissible disclosure of state secret information.”

What this means is even though the NSA has said in the past they are responsible for spying on American citizens, the NSA has not disclosed exactly how they spy on citizens. Because they have not disclosed the extent to which, or even how, they spy on citizens, it is therefore illegal to sue them for an invasion of privacy. However, once the methods are known, which the NSA has kept secret under the premise of national security, then citizens will be able to sue the NSA for an invasion of privacy.

The Electronic Frontier Foundation, who represented the plaintiff in court, released a statement after the ruling, which reads the “ruling in Jewel v. NSA was not a declaration that NSA spying is legal. The judge decided instead that ‘state secrets’ prevented him from ruling whether the program is constitutional.”

The full court ruling can be found here (https://www.eff.org/files/2015/02/10/jewel_order.pdf).

The EFF has also said they will continue to fight to bring an end to the mass surveillance or citizen’s data despite this ruling.

Teh One Who Knocks
02-12-2015, 08:43 PM
Pretty much sounds like common sense to me?

PorkChopSandwiches
02-12-2015, 08:46 PM
I guess Snowdens material isnt good enough, or the admission by the NSA

Teh One Who Knocks
02-12-2015, 08:51 PM
Pretty sure you can't sue someone just because you think they may have done something :dunno:

Goofy
02-12-2015, 08:53 PM
Pretty sure you can't sue someone just because you think they may have done something :dunno:

Doesn't that happen daily nowadays? :lol:

RBP
02-12-2015, 10:48 PM
I would think that a citizen, with reasonable suspicions, and barring any bona fide legal investigation, should be able to compel the government to turn over what data they have collected.

The burden of proof requirement that data was collected legally is the governments, not the citizens, correct?

PorkChopSandwiches
02-12-2015, 11:37 PM
preach my brotha

FBD
02-13-2015, 01:34 PM
This is crap, because the matter of bulk data and metadata collection is a well known fact that they just sweep it all up.

Hey judge, there's your "proof"....

What you are asking for, I can ask back - why dont you attempt to prove to me that the NSA ISNT SPYING ON YOU, judge?