PDA

View Full Version : Girl Scout selling cookies in west Denver handed phony $100 bill

Teh One Who Knocks
02-13-2015, 11:45 AM
Eric Kahnert - 7 News Denver

http://i.imgur.com/BRtxWxw.jpg

DENVER - A Girl Scout in the Denver area learned a very hard lesson about scam artists this week when a man bought a few boxes of cookies and handed her a phony $100 bill.

The bogus bill was given to Amber Applegate on Sunday afternoon, outside a west Denver Dollar Tree store.

"It kind of made me upset because that money was going to an important cause," Amber said.

For young girls such as Amber, the Girl Scouts offer more than just a chance to sell savory sweets. It helps them build courage, confidence and character -- the mission statement of the Girl Scouts.

The cookie sales not only help the Girl Scouts, but others in the community.

"I felt like we won't be able to help these homeless women and children," said Amber.

Amber's mother, Kara, said the guy had a few hundreds in his wallet and tried to hurry the sale along. Plus he got a lot of cash back.

"He seemed like a nice guy and I thought he was being generous buying a lot of Girl Scout cookies," said Amber.

However, when all the money from the sale was brought to First Bank, Amber and her mom learned the $100 bill was a fake.

"He should be ashamed of himself for targeting young girls and their troops," said Kara.

7NEWS checked with the Dollar Tree store and learned there are no surveillance cameras covering the outside area.

Kara said she will be filing a police report.

"I felt like I was to blame -- that I shouldn't have taken the hundred dollars," the mom said.

As for Amber, she ended up learning a much more important and positive lesson after all this: For one bad apple, there are a lot of good ones out there!

First Bank, which confiscated the counterfeit money, promised 7NEWS that it will be donating a crisp $100 bill to Amber's Girl Scout troop as a replacement for the lost funds.

Amber will be selling cookies once again this Saturday at the Claire's store at Belmar shopping center in Lakewood if you’d like to stop by and brighter her day.

PorkChopSandwiches
02-13-2015, 04:48 PM
Wow, thats low.

Really, they shouldnt be accepting hundreds anyway

Teh One Who Knocks
02-13-2015, 04:50 PM
Wow, thats low.

Really, they shouldnt be accepting hundreds anyway

Yeah, who the fuck steals from girl scouts? :|

And I agree, you can't get a lot of stores to even accept hundreds, so I'm surprised they would have

PorkChopSandwiches
02-13-2015, 05:05 PM
The dick probably got around $80 in change too

Teh One Who Knocks
02-13-2015, 05:07 PM
Good on the bank for giving the girl scout $100 to make up for the counterfeit one :thumbsup:

PorkChopSandwiches
02-13-2015, 05:12 PM
Yeah, usually they just like to confiscate that shit, when I want to pass it off at Taco Bell

Hal-9000
02-13-2015, 06:30 PM
what's with the funky peace love cookies sign...do they encourage the girl scouts to smoke weed out there also? :lol:

Hal-9000
02-13-2015, 06:30 PM
Yeah, usually they just like to confiscate that shit, when I want to pass it off at Taco Bell

My local meth whore has a keen eye too :sad2:

deebakes
02-14-2015, 04:06 AM
fucking brownies :x