PDA

View Full Version : 1 Dead in Copenhagen Cafe Shooting in 'Likely' Terror Attack

RBP
02-14-2015, 08:50 PM
At least one gunman opened fire Saturday on a Copenhagen cafe, killing one man in what authorities called a likely terror attack during a free speech event organized by an artist who had caricatured the Prophet Muhammad.

The shooting, which also wounded three police officers, came a month after extremists killed 12 people at a satirical newspaper in Paris that had also sparked Muslim outrage with its depictions of Muhammad.

Swedish artist Lars Vilks, who has been repeatedly threatened after depicting Muhammad as a dog in 2007, organized and attended Saturday's event but was not hit by gunfire, police said.

"I saw a masked man running past," said Helle Merete Brix, one of the event's organizers. "I clearly consider this as an attack on Lars Vilks."

She and Vilks were quickly ushered away by the security detail that accompanies the artist whenever he is in Denmark.

There was no immediate claim of responsibility for the shooting, which took place shortly before 4 p.m. (1500 GMT, 10 a.m. EST). Denmark's security service, PET, said the circumstances surrounding the shooting "indicate that we are talking about a terror attack."

Danish police said the gunman used an automatic weapon to shoot through the windows of the Krudttoenden cafe, which TV footage showed were riddled with bullet holes. The gunman then fled in a carjacked Volkswagen Polo that was found later a few kilometers (miles) away, police said.

"I heard someone firing with an automatic weapons and someone shouting. Police returned the fire and I hid behind the bar. I felt surreal, like in a movie," Niels Ivar Larsen, one of the speakers at the event, told the TV2 channel.

Police initially said there were two gunmen but later said they believed there was only one shooter, and described him as 25-30 years old with an athletic build, and carrying a black automatic weapon. They released a blurred photograph of the suspect wearing dark clothes and a scarf covering part of his face.

The Copenhagen event, titled "Art, blasphemy and freedom of expression" featured a panel discussion about freedom of speech in the wake of the Jan. 7 massacre at the Charlie Hebdo paper in Paris.

Danish police said the victim Saturday was a 40-year-old man who was inside the cafe attending the event. He has not yet been identified.

Police spokesman Joergen Skov said it was possible the gunman had planned the "same scenario" as in the Charlie Hebdo massacre.

Visiting the scene of the shooting, Danish Prime Minister Helle Thorning-Schmidt said "our highest priority is to get the perpetrator arrested."

François Zimeray, the French ambassador to Denmark who was at the event to speak about the Charlie Hebdo attack, tweeted that he was "still alive." Police said he was not wounded.

French President Francois Hollande called the Copenhagen shooting "deplorable" and said Thorning-Schmidt would have the "full solidarity of France in this trial." French Interior Minister Bernard Cazeneuve was travelling to Copenhagen as soon as possible, Hollande said in the statement.

Sweden's security service said they were sharing information about the case with their Danish counterparts but declined to give details.

Vilks, a 68-year-old Swedish artist, has faced several attempted attacks and death threats after he depicted the Prophet Muhammad as a dog in 2007.

A Pennsylvania woman last year got a 10-year prison term for a plot to kill Vilks. In 2010, two brothers tried to burn down his house in southern Sweden and were imprisoned for attempted arson.

Vilks told The Associated Press after the Paris terror attacks that, due to increased security concerns, even fewer organizations were inviting him to give lectures. He also said he thought Sweden's SAPO security service, which deploys bodyguards to protect him, would step up his security.

"This will create fear among people on a whole different level than we're used to," he said. "Charlie Hebdo was a small oasis. Not many dared do what they did."

The depiction of the prophet is deemed insulting to many followers of Islam. According to mainstream Islamic tradition, any physical depiction of the Prophet Muhammad — even a respectful one — is considered blasphemous.

While many Muslims have expressed disgust at the deadly assault on Charlie Hebdo employees, many were also deeply offended by its cartoons lampooning Muhammad. The newspaper also lampoons other religions, as well as governments and politicians.

FBD
02-14-2015, 09:14 PM
yeah, make sure you check the mossad's employee list :roll:

Loser
02-15-2015, 12:56 AM
Notice it was stopped by ARMED GUARDS... ;)

Hal-9000
02-15-2015, 02:53 AM
Things like this make me feel sad about the majority...peace loving Muslim followers (I'm acquainted with a few).

Yes there are radicals within any faction/religion, but unfortunately people of the Muslim faith in our time, will be painted as evil homicidal zealots.

Loser
02-15-2015, 04:02 AM
Hal, while I understand what you're saying, those same people could just as easily report suspicious behavior to the authorities and stop half this bullshit.

Instead, they choose to do nothing.

Furthermore, notice these attacks are happening in places that have some of the strictest gun control laws.

There's a reason for that. Cowards prefer unarmed victims.

This time they didn't think there would be armed guards.

Hal-9000
02-15-2015, 04:40 AM
I worked with a 65 yr old Muslim guy, probably the most gentle person I've met. We joked lots (me) and at times the conversation became serious. When you say 'those people could easily report', you assume that they're aware of a plot, the people involved and timing.

According to my friend, the people in his Mosque find out through the news what has happened, and are equally in shock when it does. He said that Muslims as a group become afraid for two reasons. One, because of how the world perceives them after an attack, and two because their teachings at temple go against everything that the radicals do. He said they don't understand it.

This all came from a joke I made about him having a secret subbasement, beneath his normal basement...where he made vests with select friends from his church group. :lol: He explained that he's never encountered anyone mentioning thoughts about terrorism, much less seeing any evidence that someone was moving towards that goal.

Throughout Asia, the middle east, Africa and the rest of the world, I believe that the number of Muslim worshipers number in the high millions, maybe billions. It's unrealistic to think a terror cell of 10 or even 100 people would bring a lot of people into the fold for fear of being discovered, caught and stopped from completing their intended action. Part of their primal brain knows what they are about to do will not be accepted, thus the secrecy. (cowardice)

So when you say they choose to do nothing, I think you're painting a large group of people with a rather broad brush. For example I am a Christian, yet I have no idea from day to day what those Westboro fuckwits are going to do. Do you somehow hold me accountable when they picket a military funeral?

RBP
02-15-2015, 04:46 AM
Victim Shot Outside Copenhagen Synagogue Dies, Police Say

One of the three people shot outside a synagogue in Copenhagen early Sunday local time has died, Danish police said.

The shooting, which also wounded two police officers, occurred hours after a gunman killed one person at a shooting at a freedom of speech event hosted by the controversial Swedish cartoonist Lars Vilks, although police said it was too early to tell if the two shootings were linked.

It is unclear whether the location of the second shooting was of any significance or a coincidence. The victim was a civilian shot outside the synagogue. Two police officers were shot in the arm and leg, police said. The suspect fled on foot.

Police are investigating these incidents as terror attacks, but cannot confirm if the two incidents from today are related. The victim was not identified.

Sebastian Zepeda, a 19-year-old visitor from London, told The Associated Press that he didn't want to leave his hotel room after hearing of the first shooting and was text messaging with his mother when the second shooting happened on the street below.

"I was on my bed and I heard gunshots. And my heart raced," Zepeda said. "All of a sudden the road was packed with police.

The earlier shooting occurred at 4 p.m. Saturday (10 a.m. E.T.) at Krudttonden cafe in the Osterbro district, where the 68-year-old Vilks was hosting an event that according to his website was titled, "Arts, Blasphemy and Freedom of Expression." One person was killed and three police officers were wounded.

As a manhunt continued for the lone shooter, Danish Prime Minister Helle Thorning-Schmidt put the entire nation on high alert and condemned the violence as a "terrorist attack."

The TV2 channel said there were some 30 bullet holes in the window of the cafe and at least two people were taken away on stretchers. Two of the three police officers injured are members of Denmark's national security intelligence agency, PET. Police told NBC News that one person was killed but it was unclear whether the victim, described as a civilian, died at the scene.

The suspect fled after the gunfire at the cafe, Copenhagen police said in a statement. Surveillance photos showed him wearing dark clothing and a scarf.

Vilks has faced numerous death threats for caricaturing the Prophet Muhammad in 2007. A Pennsylvania woman last year got a 10-year prison term for a plot to kill Vilks. In 2010, two brothers tried to burn down his house in southern Sweden and were imprisoned for attempted arson.

Hal-9000
02-15-2015, 04:56 AM
Reading both stories, while horrible, give off an air of amateurism. Don't mean to offend but isn't the prime target a 68 yr old man? Seems to me if you have a group of people wanting to kill someone in the name of whatever, there would be more efficient ways than trying a shot, full well knowing the man would be under some form of protection due to his past.

Hal-9000
02-15-2015, 05:00 AM
and all because of an editorial cartoon...our world has become so sad, in so many ways :(

Loser
02-15-2015, 05:05 AM
I worked with a 65 yr old Muslim guy, probably the most gentle person I've met. We joked lots (me) and at times the conversation became serious. When you say 'those people could easily report', you assume that they're aware of a plot, the people involved and timing.

According to my friend, the people in his Mosque find out through the news what has happened, and are equally in shock when it does. He said that Muslims as a group become afraid for two reasons. One, because of how the world perceives them after an attack, and two because their teachings at temple go against everything that the radicals do. He said they don't understand it.

This all came from a joke I made about him having a secret subbasement, beneath his normal basement...where he made vests with select friends from his church group. :lol: He explained that he's never encountered anyone mentioning thoughts about terrorism, much less seeing any evidence that someone was moving towards that goal.

Throughout Asia, the middle east, Africa and the rest of the world, I believe that the number of Muslim worshipers number in the high millions, maybe billions. It's unrealistic to think a terror cell of 10 or even 100 people would bring a lot of people into the fold for fear of being discovered, caught and stopped from completing their intended action. Part of their primal brain knows what they are about to do will not be accepted, thus the secrecy. (cowardice)

So when you say they choose to do nothing, I think you're painting a large group of people with a rather broad brush. For example I am a Christian, yet I have no idea from day to day what those Westboro fuckwits are going to do. Do you somehow hold me accountable when they picket a military funeral?

How exactly do these organizations recruit for their little terror squads? Pick numbers out of a hat?

No, they talk, gossip, chat, spread the word.

I'm not saying all muslims know of these talks, but there are those that have heard of it and turned a blind eye, and it's that blind eye that leads to nothing being done. If they were truly appalled by these events, they would turn to the proper authorities.

Evil prevails when good men do nothing.

Hal-9000
02-15-2015, 05:15 AM
How exactly do these organizations recruit for their little terror squads? Pick numbers out of a hat?

No, they talk, gossip, chat, spread the word.

I'm not saying all muslims know of these talks, but there are those that have heard of it and turned a blind eye, and it's that blind eye that leads to nothing being done. If they were truly appalled by these events, they would turn to the proper authorities.

Evil prevails when good men do nothing.

Since we both don't know how the selection process works, I think it's safe to say it's not idle gossip or chat to recruit for these things :lol: I would imagine the process is a little more secretive than that.

Your post implied a network of everyone Muslim knowing about future plots and we both know it ain't that way.

There was a story here about 10 years ago. A Canadian professor was involved with a terrorist plot featuring fertilizer, a truck and an unnamed target. The guy was in his 50's or 60's and had worked at a university for 16 years. No one in his immediate group involving friends and family knew. Of course those that were probably lied...but point being this guy was so well dug in and so secretive, the RCMP lauded the arrest as a major sting or preventative take down (as well they should).

Hal-9000
02-15-2015, 05:21 AM
Don't get me wrong Loser, I feel that authorities have a right to question and detain everyone they feel may be associated with something like this, but you can't have it both ways.

Grab a group and detain because of their religious ideals, but you can not grab a group of 'ordinary' citizens and do the same? (FBD and Porky will be here shortly..)

That was my only point above...to say that members of a particular faith would automatically be aware of these little backroom plots, based on the church they go to...it's a little redneck :lol:

Loser
02-15-2015, 05:26 AM
Since we both don't know how the selection process works, I think it's safe to say it's not idle gossip or chat to recruit for these things :lol: I would imagine the process is a little more secretive than that.

Your post implied a network of everyone Muslim knowing about future plots and we both know it ain't that way.

There was a story here about 10 years ago. A Canadian professor was involved with a terrorist plot featuring fertilizer, a truck and an unnamed target. The guy was in his 50's or 60's and had worked at a university for 16 years. No one in his immediate group involving friends and family knew. Of course those that were probably lied...but point being this guy was so well dug in and so secretive, the RCMP lauded the arrest as a major sting or preventative take down (as well they should).

I'm not implying that at all.

What I'm saying is that talk travels. They very obviously don't pick random people. There has to be certain precursors before they choose to talk to someone. Generally those precursors are talks of disgust, or talks of need for action, etc...

Amateurs are worse, as they generally are very vocal about the need for action to be taken. Most people blow it off as cheap talk 90% of the time, but it's that 10% of the time you get stupid shit like what happened, and it could have been stopped if someone spoke up.

It's the same as school shooters. There are always signs that no one mentions until after the fact. Why doesn't anyone speak up?

Want shit to stop? Speak up. Vocally point out stupid people. Let others know they are acting dumb as shit. Most cowards shrivel like a cold penis when their stupidity is pointed out.

RBP
02-15-2015, 11:58 AM
Copenhagen shootings: Police shoot dead suspect after two deadly attacks on a cafe and synagogue

Danish police have shot and killed the man they believe was responsible for two shooting attacks that claimed the lives of two civilians in Copenhagen within hours of each other.

Danish officers confronted the shooter as he returned to an address they had been keeping under surveillance in the Norrebro district of the city. The man was then killed in a fire-fight with police.

Investigator Jorgen Skov told reporters that “nothing at this point suggests there were other perpetrators” in the two shootings that had also wounded five police officers.

Denmark’s prime minister Helle Thorning-Schmidt described the first shooting, which bore similarities to the deadly attacks at the newspaper Charlie Hebdo’s offices, as a terrorist attack.

In a press conference on Sunday, Thorning Schmidt said: "Denmark has been hit by terror.

"We do not know the motive for the alleged perpetrator's actions, but we know that there are forces that want to hurt Denmark. They want to rebuke our freedom of speech."

More... http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/copenhagen-shootings-police-shoot-dead-man-they-believe-was-responsible-for-two-deadly-attacks-on-a-cafe-and-synagogue-10046859.html

FBD
02-15-2015, 05:42 PM
Don't get me wrong Loser, I feel that authorities have a right to question and detain everyone they feel may be associated with something like this, but you can't have it both ways.

Grab a group and detain because of their religious ideals, but you can not grab a group of 'ordinary' citizens and do the same? (FBD and Porky will be here shortly..)

That was my only point above...to say that members of a particular faith would automatically be aware of these little backroom plots, based on the church they go to...it's a little redneck :lol:

You probably already know what I think - most likely the case is, this was another attack brought to you in part by your friends at the mossad and CIA. Get a patsy to shoot someone of something for you - depending on the setup it will be a well trained assassin, or a simple schmuck to just fire a gun who believes when he's told he'll make it out alive - since the highly skilled paid ones do wind up having their escape plans more well defined.

This is leveraged against a network of agitators that will do things like turn protests violent when they want them to be violent, if there is something to be gained by someone, like say in the case of the West Florissant Project in Ferguson.

Hal-9000
02-15-2015, 06:12 PM
I was thinking that you would comment on the shakedown tactics of the FBI/policia of Muslim people vs non Muslim folks, not the evil backroom doings behind the act :lol:

There's a fictional character named Saul Berenson who is an old CIA agent on the show Homeland. He had a great line during a particularly tense situation when they found out some members of a terror squad would likely be entering an area..

Saul - I want you to stop and check all brown faced men.
CIA noob - But Saul that's racial profiling!
Saul - No, that is actual profiling.

We have to walk such a fine line when trying to prevent a threat. I'm torn between allowing authorities to cast a huge net and see what shakes out vs my individual rights :-k

If someone watching my emails means that they stop a potential threat elsewhere, I have no problem with it.

RBP
02-15-2015, 06:14 PM
If someone watching my emails means that they stop a potential threat elsewhere, I have no problem with it.

I don't expect that midget shemales are on the watchlist.

FBD
02-15-2015, 06:19 PM
:lol: comment on their complete and total disregard for the law? yeah, what are we going to say about that outside of pointing it out and having absolutely nothing done about it except perhaps have Obama come up with a patriot act 2 or something :lol: here's the thing about the fkn feds - they dont care what the law is, it is whatever they say it is in the moment they say it, and you as a feckin plebe have whatever they say is law foisted upon you in that moment, civil rights do not exist if you are in the same room with an employee of the federal government. plain and simple.

I'm not torn at all. The law is perfectly clear, and the federal government completely disregards it wherever it is convenient for it or its owners.

People arent to find out about the swindle, they are easily distracted by war and reality tv.

Make sure something regularly pops up on the news, continue to spend a trillion plus on warmaking yearly.

sound about right?

Hal-9000
02-15-2015, 06:30 PM
I don't expect that midget shemales are on the watchlist.

There are midget shemales??

I gotta start opening new tabs :doh:

Hal-9000
02-15-2015, 06:35 PM
:lol: comment on their complete and total disregard for the law? yeah, what are we going to say about that outside of pointing it out and having absolutely nothing done about it except perhaps have Obama come up with a patriot act 2 or something :lol: here's the thing about the fkn feds - they dont care what the law is, it is whatever they say it is in the moment they say it, and you as a feckin plebe have whatever they say is law foisted upon you in that moment, civil rights do not exist if you are in the same room with an employee of the federal government. plain and simple.

I'm not torn at all. The law is perfectly clear, and the federal government completely disregards it wherever it is convenient for it or its owners.

People arent to find out about the swindle, they are easily distracted by war and reality tv.

Make sure something regularly pops up on the news, continue to spend a trillion plus on warmaking yearly.

sound about right?

Hypothetical - FBI suspects that a terror cell is operating in your city. They also know that the cell is using email to coordinate an attack against a shopping mall let's say. They don't know when...

So the FBI contacts the ISP's and phone providers that service the area and start monitoring every text/email/skype communication either by phone or by net. Through the process they ascertain a location and potential time of attack and kick down the door/prevent the attack.

Have your rights been violated in this example?

*remember.....yes or no answer or I come over for some waterboarding :x

FBD
02-15-2015, 06:59 PM
The ISP? What ISP, do they know? Will they have enough evidence to obtain a warrant? Will they have had the clearance to have talked to the CIA to have asked if it was something they already had set up and in the works?

In other words, yes, the rights will be violated, because no, they wont meet the standard of evidence required for a warrant, they will declare themselves above and beyond they law, and then they will violate it, repeatedly, unapologetically, with no condom or cigarette afterwards.

I think its just sad that the public at large has been conditioned to accept the government's fucking boot on their necks. Whereas they should notice the boot, they note they are thankful to still have the ability to breathe. So full of facepalm.

redred
02-16-2015, 12:33 AM
Hal, while I understand what you're saying, those same people could just as easily report suspicious behavior to the authorities and stop half this bullshit.

as a Christian did you report what James Eagan Holmes was going to do ?

DemonGeminiX
02-16-2015, 01:53 AM

Loser doesn't live in Aurora, Colorado. There's no way he could have known about Holmes' attack. Loser's talking about Muslims in immediate proximity to the perpetrator. Maybe those the perpetrator tried to recruit but turned him down, or those that may have heard through the neighborhood grapevine a rumor of the perpetrator's intention but said nothing. People within the perpetrator's shared Muslim community that may or may not have known his intentions. The issue is whether or not other Muslims in that community could have known and what kind of civic responsibility they had to report any information regarding the perpetrator's intentions. Generally speaking, given what we know about closely knit homogeneous communities, there's a pretty good chance that someone did know something and said nothing to anyone. They could have warned the authorities and didn't.

Muslims in a small Muslim community generally won't turn on their own, whether they believe the perpetrators' actions are just, or whether they're afraid of retaliation from the more extreme fringe element that's present in their community. But you can say the same about Black communities, Hispanic communities, Asian communities, Redneck communities, etc etc etc. Generally speaking, people take care of their own, frequently to the detriment of the greater good.

Teh One Who Knocks
02-16-2015, 11:45 AM
http://i.imgur.com/J0hFYbN.jpg

Teh One Who Knocks
02-16-2015, 11:46 AM

I'm fairly certain that Holmes didn't murder those people in the movie theater in the name of Jesus Christ.

Hal-9000
02-16-2015, 08:36 PM
What I was trying to get at with Loser is something that I've pondered before. When these acts are planned and committed, just how widespread is the knowledge?

Leaving out 9/11 because it was a monster operation, regardless of the arguments about who was behind it....When a terror cell decides for example that one guy will wear a vest, walk to a target and detonate, how many people are actually involved?

In this case it's a 'simplified' terror attack. One shooter, one target and a gun. No bomb logistics to worry about (Will it work? Will it be discovered under clothing? If it works, how far will the blast radius be?)...so try not to get too hung up on my terminology. For the simplified attack they have to have a gun and proximity to the target.

So devil's advocate...How many people are brought into the fold of the terror cell? While some Muslims may agree with the hate, they also may not agree with the means. Family and friends are likely not told about it, because of two reasons - One, they may not want their brother/son/husband to die...and two, by telling them, the perpetrators place them (family/friends) in danger after the attack.

While these people are hate filled fundamentalists, they are also people. Habib may want to go the greater glory of Allah by giving his life, that doesn't mean everyone in his social circle wants to die as well. I've read they often recruit with a specific stereotype in mind (stereotypes are based in truth), a single male, 18-30.

So back to the formation of the plan...they need to get their agent to the site, so a clean record/passport and travel means are essential. They need to secure a firearm and have reasonable skill using it. After that, what else? This group could literally be two or three people (story above).

Again, since I don't know, I'm not saying that there weren't 200 people involved. Or 200 people that were aware of it...but logic dictates that would not work. Smaller is better when it comes to a secret. And let's face it....this was an attempted assassination, not an attack where random people were killed.(that happened unfortunately, but it wasn't the intent) People involved knew it was going to be big if successful.

FBD
02-16-2015, 10:16 PM
http://i.imgur.com/J0hFYbN.jpg

you want problem solved, go see the end of fight club.

demolition every single too big to fail bank and confiscate their assets, all of them, we already bought and paid for all that about 200 trillion times over.

then end the CIA, the IRS, DHS, TSA, and every single other unconstitutional federal entity.

then we can all live in fucking peace instead of having perpetual war.

FBD
02-16-2015, 10:17 PM
What I was trying to get at with Loser is something that I've pondered before. When these acts are planned and committed, just how widespread is the knowledge?

Leaving out 9/11 because it was a monster operation, regardless of the arguments about who was behind it....When a terror cell decides for example that one guy will wear a vest, walk to a target and detonate, how many people are actually involved?

In this case it's a 'simplified' terror attack. One shooter, one target and a gun. No bomb logistics to worry about (Will it work? Will it be discovered under clothing? If it works, how far will the blast radius be?)...so try not to get too hung up on my terminology. For the simplified attack they have to have a gun and proximity to the target.

So devil's advocate...How many people are brought into the fold of the terror cell? While some Muslims may agree with the hate, they also may not agree with the means. Family and friends are likely not told about it, because of two reasons - One, they may not want their brother/son/husband to die...and two, by telling them, the perpetrators place them (family/friends) in danger after the attack.

While these people are hate filled fundamentalists, they are also people. Habib may want to go the greater glory of Allah by giving his life, that doesn't mean everyone in his social circle wants to die as well. I've read they often recruit with a specific stereotype in mind (stereotypes are based in truth), a single male, 18-30.

So back to the formation of the plan...they need to get their agent to the site, so a clean record/passport and travel means are essential. They need to secure a firearm and have reasonable skill using it. After that, what else? This group could literally be two or three people (story above).

Again, since I don't know, I'm not saying that there weren't 200 people involved. Or 200 people that were aware of it...but logic dictates that would not work. Smaller is better when it comes to a secret. And let's face it....this was an attempted assassination, not an attack where random people were killed.(that happened unfortunately, but it wasn't the intent) People involved knew it was going to be big if successful.

the CIA knew it was going to be successful when they gave the word to have it go down