PDA

View Full Version : Sex offenders are often targets as California prisons see high rate of homicides

PorkChopSandwiches
02-16-2015, 05:05 PM
SACRAMENTO, Calif. – Federal statistics show California prison inmates are killed at a rate that is double the national average and far higher than that of other large states.

What's more, an Associated Press analysis of corrections records shows that sex offenders account for a disproportionate number of California's victims.

Male sex offenders made up about 15 percent of the prison population but accounted for nearly 30 percent of homicide victims since 2007.

The deaths — 23 out of 78 — come despite the state's creation more than a decade ago of special housing units designed to protect the most vulnerable inmates, including sex offenders. They often are marked men because of the nature of their crimes.

Those units also house inmates trying to quit gangs but now have their own gang problem.

Pony
02-16-2015, 05:14 PM
:tup::clap:

Goofy
02-16-2015, 05:53 PM
Excellent news, KUTGW :ok:

RBP
02-16-2015, 07:35 PM
Articles like this make my head explode. No detail, no context...

I looked quickly at 2001-2007 BJS CA data for ease of use to get some more information.

There is 101 murders in CA State prisons from 2001-2007, I presume that means 78 from 2007-2014 is a significant reduction.

There were also 101 prisoners who died of AIDS 2001-2007, and 221 suicides.

The prison murder rate was 9 per 100k prisoners, while the rate in the general population was about 6.6 (other source averaged). The national prison average was 4/100k for murder, but in the 13 states comprising the statistical "west" the average was the same as CA - 9.

The suicide rate was 19 per 100k prisoners, while the general population rate was about 9.4 (CalMHSA). The higher prison suicide rate makes some logical sense since you have a concentration of males 20-59 who, in the general population, account for 71% of all suicides.

As for the sex offender part of this, they didn't receive a death sentence from the courts. I am cheering another murder.

Hal-9000
02-16-2015, 09:34 PM
good stats RBP, thanks...

for some reason, this riles my hackles....
state's creation more than a decade ago of special housing units designed to protect the most vulnerable inmates

you did the crime, now do your time...

RBP
02-16-2015, 09:49 PM
good stats RBP, thanks...

for some reason, this riles my hackles....

you did the crime, now do your time...

but keep in mind that doesn't mean sex offenders only... the timid, effeminate, gay, etc are generally separated.

Hal-9000
02-16-2015, 09:57 PM
but keep in mind that doesn't mean sex offenders only... the timid, effeminate, gay, etc are generally separated.

Sure, and that makes it even more distasteful to me. I believe that when people commit crimes and are found guilty, they should have limited rights. Part of the punishment. And a roof over your head, 3 squares a day, clean clothing and forms of entertainment don't fall into the punishment side of things, in my opinion. I'm a hard liner when it comes to prisoner treatment. And part of that is creating a unique area for timid, shy, gay, whatever classification, because as above, they committed a crime and were likely aware of the possible consequences of being caught.

ie I commit an assault, I get sent to prison but since I have long blonde hair and a lovely ass, I feel I may be in jeopardy during my incarceration. So please house me in a restricted area. Should have considered that before the assault..

PorkChopSandwiches
02-16-2015, 09:59 PM
Sure, and that makes it even more distasteful to me. I believe that when people commit crimes and are found guilty, they should have limited rights. Part of the punishment. And a roof over your head, 3 squares a day, clean clothing and forms of entertainment don't fall into the punishment side of things, in my opinion. I'm a hard liner when it comes to prisoner treatment. And part of that is creating a unique area for timid, shy, gay, whatever classification, because as above, they committed a crime and were likely aware of the possible consequences of being caught.

ie I commit an assault, I get sent to prison but since I have long blonde hair and a lovely ass, I feel I may be in jeopardy during my incarceration. So please house me in a restricted area. Should have considered that before the assault..

While I could give a shit about sex offenders, they are doing "the time" part of that doesn't involve being murdered or beaten.

Hal-9000
02-16-2015, 10:00 PM
For sure....all people should have rights, even those in prison.

But there's a dark part of me and my vision of Haltopia, that has to ask - You got caught and were aware your action was against the law. Just how many rights do you deserve now?

RBP
02-16-2015, 10:03 PM
While I could give a shit about sex offenders, they are doing "the time" part of that doesn't involve being murdered or beaten.

or raped. There's is federal guidelines that they have to meet to affirmatively act to reduce prison rape.

If you include both public and prison populations, more men are raped than women.

Hal-9000
02-16-2015, 10:10 PM
You have to wonder what goes through a long term prison guard's mind. He's probably seen more of the darker side of humanity than any other 1000 people combined in society.

So when the rapes and murders occur, there's an element of his own sense of right and wrong that comes into play.

Or more simply put - Meh, that guy raped a 3 year old...I didn't see anything..

RBP
02-16-2015, 10:12 PM
They want absolutely nothing to happen. They do not want the investigation, the interviews, the documentation, none of it. They want every day to be as uneventful as possible.

Put in their time, get their fat state retirement, and never look back. The end.