PDA

View Full Version : Man refuses to give up on trying to pay speeding ticket with wooden check

Teh One Who Knocks
02-17-2015, 12:27 PM
Austin Prickett, Sr. Digital Content Manager - KOKH FOX 25

http://i.imgur.com/R2panAF.jpg

(KUTV) -- To what length would you go to fight a speeding ticket?

A Utah man is going on five years and thousands of dollars.

It all stems from a day in May 2010, when Jared Brokaw got pulled over in Baker County, Oregon, going about 90 mph in a 65 zone. He was slapped with a hefty $472 ticket for speeding.

“I was going fast,” Brokaw said, “but I also thought that that was fairly excessive.”

So, he decided to do something extremely unconventional.

Brokaw decided to protest, not by refusing to pay the fine, but in using an unlikely form of payment. He took a piece of flat wood and wrote on it, as if it was a check payable to the Baker City Justice Court in the amount of $472. He boxed he board up and sent it via FedEx to Baker County.

As you can imagine, the story doesn't end there.

“They called me and they said they couldn't accept it,” Brokaw recalled. “I said, ‘Well, I'm very sorry to hear that.'”

The clerk told Brokaw he'd have to send another form of payment, but he refused. “Actually I don't,” he recalled telling the clerk. “I've met my obligation under the law unless you can prove otherwise.”

Thus began a back-and-forth that has lasted years and cost Brokaw a good deal of cash, much more than the original fine. In November 2010, Brokaw went back to Baker County for a hearing. The judge wasn't amused with his stunt.

“This is stupid. You write a check, a normal check,” Judge Gregory Baxter told Brokaw, adding that his payment on the piece of wood wouldn't fly. “This court's not going to take that.”

At that point, Brokaw said, he has decided to just pay the fine and get it over with. His attorney went to pick up the piece of wood.

“They refused to give it back, instead saying they were keeping it as a trophy,” Brokaw said.

He didn't like that, so he held off on paying the fine and started filing appeals with no success. By the end of 2012, he says he was out of options and resolved to simply not to pay the fine.

“I decided to blow it off and vowed never to set foot in Oregon again,” Brokaw said.

Then, in May of 2014, four years after he was originally pulled over, Brokaw received a notice from the state of Utah that his driver's license was about to expire.

“I made an appointment, gathered up all my paperwork and went in to renew my license,” Brokaw said. “And it was denied.”

That's because Utah knew about Brokaw's unpaid fine in Oregon, thanks to the Driver License Compact. That's essentially an information-sharing agreement between most states, including Utah, about drivers with violations or suspensions.

As a result of what happened in Oregon, Utah wouldn't renew Brokaw's license. It expired in August, and now, he can no longer legally drive.

That's where things stand today. Brokaw has also spent roughly $15,000 in legal fees so far fighting this, he said, and there's no victory in sight.

“This is the first case that I've run into this,” said George Sutton, an attorney for the Utah Bankers Association with more than 30 years of experience. He's not involved in Brokaw's case, but he said it's a double-edged sword.

On the one hand, Sutton said, it's not out of the question for someone to write a check on a piece of wood. “If I walk into my bank with a piece of wood and write out a check and say I want $100 out of my account, they have to give me $100 in cash,” he said.

But that's only at your own bank, Sutton adds. Forcing someone else to accept payment like that is another matter.

“There is no requirement I've ever seen that says any party has to accept a check in payment for anything,” Sutton said. “Think about the number of businesses out there that will not take a check.”

In Brokaw's case, he has since been ordered to pay the fine in cash. That fine remains unpaid, according to the Baker County Circuit Court.

Brokaw admits he could still pay the fine and get this over with. So, 2News asked the obvious question: why doesn't he?

“For me it's a matter of principle, not a matter of money,” Brokaw said, "I feel like I'm being criminalized as a result of just trying to stand up for my rights."

Is there a point he would decide the fight just isn't worth it?

“Maybe, but I honestly can't [see] where that point is right now,” he said. But he knows he's not there yet.

“Not by a long shot,” he said.

Brokaw is now raising money for his legal defense through social funding site IndieGogo.com.

FBD
02-17-2015, 01:14 PM
:hand: 90 in a 65 is not excessive....y ou have to at least double the speed limit before it becomes excessive

Goofy
02-17-2015, 01:15 PM
:shakehead:

Goofy
02-17-2015, 01:16 PM
:hand: 90 in a 65 is not excessive....y ou have to at least double the speed limit before it becomes excessive

It's over the limit though, he broke the law :shrug: Excessive or not, you do the crime then unfortunately you pay the fine.

Teh One Who Knocks
02-17-2015, 01:17 PM
He didn't even put the routing number or account number on his homemade check.

FBD
02-17-2015, 01:22 PM
It's over the limit though, he broke the law :shrug: Excessive or not, you do the crime then unfortunately you pay the fine.

:hand: arbitrary and capricious [-(

PorkChopSandwiches
02-17-2015, 04:12 PM
:lol:

Hal-9000
02-17-2015, 06:19 PM
years ago our province instituted the GST tax....7% on everything. Not excessive compared to other countries and their taxes...

a guy with a busy, well known ice cream shop close to our house was against the government tax as it increased the price to his consumers...

so when it came time to pay his business GST installment (thousands) he got a large wheelbarrow and filled it up with one dollar loonies :lol:

bank/government tried to dissuade and then threaten him....too bad, our one dollar coin is legal tender :dance:

Teh One Who Knocks
02-17-2015, 07:06 PM
years ago our province instituted the GST tax....7% on everything. Not excessive compared to other countries and their taxes...

a guy with a busy, well known ice cream shop close to our house was against the government tax as it increased the price to his consumers...

so when it came time to pay his business GST installment (thousands) he got a large wheelbarrow and filled it up with one dollar loonies :lol:

bank/government tried to dissuade and then threaten him....too bad, our one dollar coin is legal tender :dance:

People try and do that here too, but there are rules/regulations concerning how much cash and in what denominations will be accepted.

Hal-9000
02-17-2015, 07:08 PM
It became such a big news story along with the advent of the tax....he eventually got his way. People were disgruntled and the news papers ran with the story. Never heard anything from him in later years....they probably made him change his payment method

FBD
02-17-2015, 07:42 PM

I would have facepalmed if loonies were real money, but they're just hunks of nickel :lol: