PDA

View Full Version : The Dark Ages and the setback to mankind

Teh One Who Knocks
02-23-2015, 12:10 PM
The Dark Ages lasted somewhere around 800 to 1000 years (somewhere between the 5th and 15th centuries) and during that whole time, science was considered heresy and was more or less forbidden. Just where would humanity be today scientifically if the Dark Ages never happened and science was allowed and encouraged to flourish?

:-k

deebakes
02-23-2015, 02:17 PM
new solar systems :sad2:

Hal-9000
02-23-2015, 05:42 PM
http://i.imgur.com/zEg9uHC.jpg

Hal-9000
02-23-2015, 05:42 PM
http://i.imgur.com/4mG1iYQ.jpg

PorkChopSandwiches
02-23-2015, 05:47 PM
Interesting question, especially since the rate of discovery grows exponentially

http://i.imgur.com/Ry33rH7.jpg

Teh One Who Knocks
02-23-2015, 05:49 PM
Exactly....I would think if we didn't lose that 800-1000 years back in the middle ages, we would be maybe 2,000 years more advanced than we are right now.

PorkChopSandwiches
02-23-2015, 05:55 PM
I think it would all depend on when they harnessed electricity

FBD
02-23-2015, 09:12 PM
what? imagining the "greatest" civilizations on earth not having powerlust? :lol: surely you jest.

MAYBE if the romans hadnt have used lead pipe. nah, they would have done the same thing anyway.

strange, the fall of rome, christianity, and the dark ages.

PorkChopSandwiches
02-23-2015, 09:18 PM
what? imagining the "greatest" civilizations on earth not having powerlust? :lol: surely you jest.

MAYBE if the romans hadnt have used lead pipe. nah, they would have done the same thing anyway.

Feel free to pen a full thought :twisted:

FBD
02-23-2015, 09:46 PM
but I like watching everyone wriggle trying to figure out the interim details :lol:

when overt political control failed, the level was moved over to the "moral" position. but control nonetheless. funny, people see it like they're different things.

I know, I know, this is, but what if?

well, what if we took all the money the banks invented and did something useful for the country with it instead of listening to people like jeb fucking bush telling us NSA spying is good for us, now shuddup plebes.

no different.

these resources have all been stolen, usurped, and abused and pissed away by selfish assholes.

the banking-government-corporate marauder racket needs to be broken and defeated, killed until its dead, d-e-d and buried,

then I can imagine all the wonderful things humanity would do with all those resources.

same as it ever was.
same as it ever was.
same as it ever was.
same as it ever was.
same as it ever was.
same as it ever was.
SAME as it ever was.
same as it ever was.
same as it ever was.
same as it ever was.
same as it ever was.same as it ever was.
same as it ever was.
same as it ever was.

DemonGeminiX
02-23-2015, 11:03 PM
:-s

http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view/308873/talking-heads-o.gif

Goofy
02-23-2015, 11:19 PM
Interesting question, especially since the rate of discovery grows exponentially

Porky used a big word....... in a sentence :shock:

DemonGeminiX
02-23-2015, 11:29 PM
Correctly, too.

Satan
02-23-2015, 11:31 PM
Don't worry. Hell ain't frozen over yet.

deebakes
02-24-2015, 12:34 AM
i don't think you've been there lately :shrug:

DemonGeminiX
02-24-2015, 01:45 AM
Are you calling Minnesota Hell, Dee?

:lol:

deebakes
02-24-2015, 02:01 AM
:-k ... :idk:

Teh One Who Knocks
02-24-2015, 01:29 PM

Interesting, never thought about the use of lead back during the days of the Roman Empire. That could have caused some of it, but that doesn't account for the nearly 1000 years the Dark Ages lasted.

FBD
02-24-2015, 02:31 PM
the main large pipe for the aquaduct was made from lead! brass and tin were not strong enough and they didnt know of the toxicity back then I guess.

the thousand years the dark ages lasted was outflow of the collapse of the roman empire and the following moral crusade-battery against the populace, and things like the plague helped religions cement their influence over people by telling them the pestilence is merely payback (now your tithes havent been quite up to par lately, you sure you want to stay out of purgatory?)

all powerlust, followed by bloodlust.

that's precisely what the spanish inquisition was

in order to control information you make certain information a crime.

aint no different today, some truths are crimes punishable by death if you happen to be close enough to one of the Smiths.

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8595/16631808562_26ecef1a39_b.jpg

http://www.washingtonsblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/CIA-conspiracy.jpg

http://www.washingtonsblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/CIA-conspiracy2.jpg

Summarizing the tactics which the CIA dispatch recommended:

Claim that it would be impossible for so many people would keep quiet about such a big conspiracy

Have people friendly to the CIA attack the claims, and point back to “official” reports

Claim that eyewitness testimony is unreliable

Claim that this is all old news, as “no significant new evidence has emerged”

Ignore conspiracy claims unless discussion about them is already too active

Claim that it’s irresponsible to speculate

Accuse theorists of being wedded to and infatuated with their theories

Accuse theorists of being politically motivated

Accuse theorists of having financial interests in promoting conspiracy theories

In other words, the CIA’s clandestine services unit created the arguments for attacking conspiracy theories as unreliable in the 1960s as part of its psychological warfare operations.

Hal-9000
02-24-2015, 04:00 PM
The church and state were responsible for any scientific repression, usually upon threat of death. If they would have been encouraged and funded, rather than hiding in dark alleys...the science would have progressed at 100x the speed.

Teh One Who Knocks
02-24-2015, 04:06 PM
Exactly....and where would that put us scientifically and technologically? Where would our space program, for example, be? Would we have began colonizing nearby planets and moons? Would we have solved our slow-ass propulsion issues to begin interstellar travel?

I mean where we are now, interplanetary travel isn't even really a viable option right now.

Hal-9000
02-24-2015, 04:15 PM
I'm not sure it would have excelled in comparative leaps and bounds....remember, medicine was encouraged and they were still treating plague symptoms with rosewater and leeching people :lol:

PorkChopSandwiches
02-24-2015, 04:45 PM
Porky used a big word....... in a sentence :shock:

Correctly, too.

:fu:

FBD
02-24-2015, 05:07 PM
I'm not sure it would have excelled in comparative leaps and bounds....remember, medicine was encouraged and they were still treating plague symptoms with rosewater and leeching people :lol:

yeah, and contrast that to 5000 years of traditional chinese medicine...I think "bleeding the humours out" was done to just kill mofos.

there is a method of bleeding in TCM, but it involves a small lancing at certain specific points. something liiiiike... let's say your spleen/lymph system is currently working overdrive, an "assist" for that would be to bleed the spleen 1 point on the medial aspect of the big toe, next to the medial square of the nail, the net effect being it takes just a bit of pressure off the system. the bleed would be on the order of a drop or three, really. so like a great many other things they take some ancillary detail and focus on it to the exclusion of all others and have the treatment be entirely ineffective if not downright harmful for the patient.

there is evidence of cranial surgery thousands of years ago also.

the abrahamic religions are a poison on humanity, so many people have been killed in the names of those 3 religions its not even funny.