PDA

View Full Version : "Grease" and "Taxi" actor Jeff Conaway

Joebob034
05-27-2011, 07:35 PM
"Grease" and "Taxi" actor Jeff Conaway is dead at 60, reports Radar Online.

Published: Friday, May 27, 2011, 2:57 PM Updated: Friday, May 27, 2011, 3:13 PM
Anthony Venutolo/The Star-Ledger

Earlier this month, Conaway entered Encino Hospital Medical Center unconscious and with an pneumonia after what was thought to be an accidental overdose of painkillers. He would remain in critical condition and in a coma for the duration of his stay.

Over objections of his longtime girlfriend, Vikki Lizzi, Conaway's family decided Thursday to remove the feeding tube and ventilator that was keeping him alive.

The actor's manager Phil Brock originally claimed that a painkiller overdose was a likely culprit, but "Celebrity Rehab" physician Drew Pinsky disputed the theory. He claimed hat there was no sign of an intentional overdose and instead Conaway was suffering from pneumonia and the blood poisoning known as sepsis.

In early 2010, Conaway fell down a staircase in his California home and suffered a broken hip, a broken arm, a fractured neck and a brain hemorrhage. E! News chatted with Conaway while he was recuperating in March 2010, and he sounded more than optimistic.

"I have made a tremendous amount of progress," he said. "I wasn't about to give up. I didn't come this far to give up. God didn't bring me this far to drop me."

Conaway is probably best remembered for portraying John Travolta's best friend Kenickie in the blockbuster 1978 film adaptation of the musical "Grease." After the film, Conaway went on to co-star in the popular and acclaimed sitcom "Taxi," as Bobby Wheeler, an out of work actor who moonlights as a taxi-driver.

He was also a contestant on the 2006 season of VH1's "Celebrity Fit Club," but left the show for rehab. Confronting his demons, he decided to address his public battle alcohol, cocaine and painkillers two years later on "Celebrity Rehab with Dr. Drew," another VH1 show.

I'm surprised he lasted this long TBH. The dude was a trainwreck.

Hal-9000
05-27-2011, 07:44 PM
I remember seeing him on some talk show after Taxi....he was more than a little skittish, downright strange is the only way to describe it.
Later it came out he was dabbling in drugs and couldn't commit to any projects on TV.

Sad to see him go :(

Teh One Who Knocks
05-27-2011, 08:03 PM
:rip:

AntZ
05-27-2011, 11:10 PM
Shame, I was just reading this morning that the family was considering removing him from life support.

That guy has been a mess for years, he was handsome, talented, and riding high after Taxi. Then it all came crashing down!

Lambchop
05-28-2011, 12:09 AM
He was in quite a state on that Rehab show. His girlfriend kept bringing him drugs during treatment and you just know that having a relationship where both parties are addicts will make it more difficult to stop.

Noilly Pratt
05-29-2011, 06:22 PM
A sad waste of a life. Apparently he was the nicest guy on the set, a friend who was an extra said he was very great to talk with.

Goodbye "Wheeler".

Dr. Girlfriend
05-30-2011, 02:53 AM
I remember when I saw him on the rehab show, my mom told me that he was quite the hottie back in his time. I really never saw him in much of anything except on those old "Taxi" reruns. It's a shame what happened. May he rest in peace.

Midnight_Beacon
06-01-2011, 05:16 AM
He played Zack on Babylon 5 & did a very good job. I'm sorry to hear he's gone.