PDA

View Full Version : Mass. principal lashes out at Twitter bullies

Teh One Who Knocks
02-27-2015, 11:58 AM
By John Atwater, CNN

WINCHENDON, Mass. (CNN) – A school principal in Massachusetts is issuing a warning to cyber bullies calling them cowards and promising to find and punish them. This, after about two dozen students became targets of bullies online.

“I went with a strong message partly to be proactive about it,” said Joshua Romano, Murdock Middle High Principal.

The passionate message to students was direct and forceful to the pathetic cowards who chose to start and participate in this, “You are warned. I am coming for you and I am furious.”

“I wanted to make it clear that I wasn’t going to rest until I know who had done this and there were consequences for doing this,” said Romano. Romano says the anonymous tweets were crude and vulgar, “Many of them were of a sexual nature or they referenced body parts, sexual orientation.”

In the original message to the nearly 350 students here. He referenced his time serving in Iraq saying, “I hate sniveling, cowardly behavior like this. I have more respect for insurgents I fought in Iraq than I do for people behind this twitter account.”

“Probably shouldn’t have said that. A little harsh. But you know, just trying to convey the seriousness of the situation,” said Romano.

The police have been brought in as the school investigates and the Principal says consequences for bullies could include in-school suspension and potentially criminal charges.

“Those two dozen kids who were victimized by this. They deserved that. They deserve to come to school, feel safe and feel that they are, that there is somebody going to make sure that they’re safe,” said Romano.

The principal says the majority of parents at his school support his tough stance. He also says that other students are helping him track down the perpetrators.