PDA

View Full Version : Girl, 15, dies from heart attack brought on by eating disorder that started when classmate said her 'butt looked big' in volleyball shorts

Teh One Who Knocks
03-02-2015, 11:49 AM
By David Mccormack For Dailymail.com

A high school freshman battling an eating disorder has died from a heart attack just a day after celebrating her 15th birthday.

Lacey Smarr of Longview, Texas, died on February 2 after starving her body of the important nutrients needed for her heart to function.

Lacey's eating disorder had begun just months earlier during the eighth-grade when friends had teased her about her curvy physique.

http://i.imgur.com/6WLGTw6.png

'They would tell her that her butt looked big in the volleyball shorts,' mom Candy Miller told News Journal.

'That's all it took for Lacey. She's just that kind of person that takes it seriously.'

Candy says the girls loved Lacey and didn't mean any harm but from that moment on her daughter became fixated about her weight.

To begin with Lacey made a concerted effort to eat healthy and exercise but soon her family started to notice unusual behaviour.

When Lacey would go to the restroom she would lock herself in and turn on the water in the sink.

'I asked her about it, and she said she was locking the door because of her little brother and that she couldn't use the restroom without the water running,' Candy said.

'I bought it. I didn't question it.'

http://i.imgur.com/mr16Dif.png

As her daughter started to lose weight, her mother became worried.

At one point, the teenager was taken to hospital after fainting and hitting her head.

While there, nurses observed Lacey eat then throw up her food.

Candy asked doctors if her daughter had an eating disorder, but instead they diagnosed an ulcer and prescribed an antacid.

The doctors refered Lacey to psychiatrists and counselors, but they also told Candy Miller that they didn't believe her daughter had an eating disorder.

'I blamed myself in the beginning (after Lacey's death), but she fooled doctors,' Candy Miller said.

From weighing 126 pounds at her last athletic physical in eighth grade, Lacey had dropped down to 88 pounds at the time of her death.

http://i.imgur.com/dLmtTsz.png

On the day of her death, Lacey had returned home early from school after complaining of not feeling well.

She was found unresponsive by her stepfather, who tried CPR and called for an ambulance.

On her birthday Lacey had eaten several meals, but her mom now believes that Lacey had thrown the food up afterwards.

'She's a very smart girl,' said Candy. 'She knew how to hide it.'

In honor of her daughter, Candy Miller is in the process of launching the Lacey Foundation.

'I feel like if we can save just one family from the grief we're going through and the pain, then my daughter didn't die in vain,' Miller said.

The foundation will help raise awareness of the signs and symptoms of anorexia, bulimia and other eating disorders as well as offer resources to families in need.

FBD
03-02-2015, 12:09 PM
paunch to stick figure in a year and a half, and you didnt think nothing was wrong, mom? fkn shame on you, pay attention to your kids you asshole.

Teh One Who Knocks
03-02-2015, 12:11 PM
paunch to stick figure in a year and a half, and you didnt think nothing was wrong, mom? fkn shame on you, pay attention to your kids you asshole.

Not only that, but what are the parents doing where their kids have such a low opinion of themselves and no self esteem? FFS, tell your kid that they are pretty/handsome, give them positive affirmations in their life. Don't just ignore them.

FBD
03-02-2015, 12:43 PM
an 8th grader shouldnt have a paunch like that from the getgo, its called an active lifestyle, MA!

deebakes
03-02-2015, 01:44 PM
:rip:

Hal-9000
03-02-2015, 03:53 PM
when will these girls understand that they look better in the before pictures....no matter how paunchy or flabby they may feel that they appear

FBD
03-02-2015, 04:27 PM
right, maybe pedo skeletor would have been interested in her looking like that, scarecrow :lol:

PorkChopSandwiches
03-02-2015, 05:29 PM
Not only that, but what are the parents doing where their kids have such a low opinion of themselves and no self esteem? FFS, tell your kid that they are pretty/handsome, give them positive affirmations in their life. Don't just ignore them.

:hand: You dont lie to fattys

Hal-9000
03-02-2015, 05:31 PM

it still stings doesn't it...that night you were standing beside your tall skinny date at the dance and everyone kept yelling - hey, it's the number 10!

:( kids are mean

PorkChopSandwiches
03-02-2015, 05:49 PM
:lol:

PorkChopSandwiches
03-02-2015, 05:49 PM
Its funny you thought I could get dates

Teh One Who Knocks
03-02-2015, 05:50 PM

She's hardly hideously obese in that top left photo :slap:

Hal-9000