PDA

View Full Version : 'That's Not What I Meant': Michelle Rodriguez Apologies For White Superhero Comments

Teh One Who Knocks
03-02-2015, 08:00 PM
By Sean Kelly - Opposing Views

http://i.imgur.com/8YdMvsv.jpg

Actress Michelle Rodriguez took to social media to apologize for controversial comments she made to TMZ about minorities playing superheroes that were intended to be white.

“That’s the dumbest thing I’ve ever heard,” she told the website when jokingly asked if she’d play the Green Lantern. “I think it’s so stupid because of this whole minorities in Hollywood thing. It’s so stupid. Stop stealing all the white people’s superheroes. Make up your own. What’s up with that?”

Following the comments, Rodriguez posted a video to Facebook that explained the context of her comments and apologized to anyone who was offended by the remarks.

“I stuck my foot in my mouth once again,” the Avatar star said. “I guess it got taken out of context, because a lot of people got offended or whatever. What I really meant was that ultimately at the end of the day, there’s a language. And the language that you speak in Hollywood is successful franchise.

“I think that there are many cultures in Hollywood that are not white that can come up with their own mythology,” she added. “I’m just saying that instead of trying to turn a girl character into a guy, or instead of trying to turn a white character into a black character or Latin character, I think that people should stop being lazy and that people should actually make an effort in Hollywood to develop their own mythology.”

The 36-year-old’s comments come after actor Michael B. Jordan recently became the first African-American Human Torch, set to portray the character in the August 2015 reboot of the Fantastic Four. In addition, there have been rumors of Idris Elba becoming the new James Bond.

“I just think that it’s time to stop trying to take what’s already there and try to fit a culture into it,” Rodriguez said in her video. “I think that it’s time for us to write our own mythology and our own story – every culture.

“That’s what I really meant, and I’m sorry if it came off rude or stupid. That’s not what I meant.”

PorkChopSandwiches
03-02-2015, 08:18 PM
I agree

Teh One Who Knocks
03-02-2015, 08:24 PM
I agree with her too, 100%...she shouldn't have had to apologize.

DemonGeminiX
03-02-2015, 08:28 PM
I don't see how what she initially said was taken out of context. Her elaboration was essentially the same thing.

Teh One Who Knocks
03-02-2015, 08:30 PM
I don't see how what she initially said was taken out of context. Her elaboration was essentially the same thing.

Because the PC Patrol got all butthurt that someone, especially a female non-white person would have the audacity to even hint at something like this.

FBD
03-02-2015, 08:40 PM
"taken out of context"
=
"I'm sorry you're butthurt about my honest emission of vocabulary. since I am a pussy, I shall cower and apologize without retracting my words, but make it seem like I kinda am"

FBD
03-02-2015, 08:41 PM
let me put it this way, what if the Spawn movie came out and they made him a white guy while he was alive? people would fucking cry racism that you changed the race of the character.

(and could you imagine the flip side of him trying to make himself appear to be a normal human and he finds himself turned into a black guy instead? :lol: that'd go over real big, of course, but only because only whites can be racist.)

deebakes
03-03-2015, 12:56 AM
:nom:

redred
03-03-2015, 04:31 PM
http://i.imgur.com/SN5pw8d.jpg

whats happened to little annie :shock:

DemonGeminiX
03-03-2015, 04:40 PM
I wouldn't call Annie a superhero.

redred
03-03-2015, 04:44 PM
you've not heard of Chameleon girl ? :-k

Muddy
03-03-2015, 05:20 PM
http://i.imgur.com/SN5pw8d.jpg

whats happened to little annie :shock:

I dunno, but you can be assured all the villians in the movie stayed white..

DemonGeminiX
03-03-2015, 05:27 PM
In 6 months time, that shitty remake will be in the bargain bins and forgotten.

redred
03-03-2015, 06:06 PM
In 6 months time, that shitty remake will be in the bargain bins and forgotten.

:racist:

Hal-9000
03-03-2015, 06:23 PM
Stop stealing all the white people’s superheroes. Make up your own.

I like that :thumbsup: