PDA

View Full Version : All-women’s school lets students choose between 10 different gender identities

Teh One Who Knocks
03-03-2015, 12:11 PM
Yvonne Dean-Bailey - Campus Reform

http://i.imgur.com/EDge1MV.jpg

Scripps College students will now be able to choose between 10 different gender pronouns in their class portal so professors may address them based on their preferred pronoun.

The school notified the students of the change via a campus-wide email in the middle of February explaining the decision and the new options for gender identity that will be provided for both student and professors.

“This feature has been implemented in response to student recommendations and in consultation with many constituents in the Scripps community,” the email obtained by Campus Reform said. “The pronoun portal feature gives students an opportunity to inform faculty of a pronoun that most closely matches their gendered and lived experiences at Scripps. It has been made available for students and faculty in an effort to build an inclusive environment.”

The new gender identification page in the student portal will allow students to choose from the following pronouns: e/ey, em, eir/eirs, eirself/emse; he, him, his, himself; hu, hum, hus, humself; “just my name please;” none; per, per, per/pers, perself; she, her, hers, herself; they, them, their/theirs, themse; ze, hir, hir/hirs, hirself; and ze, zir, zir/zirs, zirself.

http://i.imgur.com/85yhyBr.jpg

The email also included a link to a pronoun guide by Pomona College also in Claremont, Calif., to explain some of the lesser-known pronouns.

Rachel Neuberg, a sophomore at Scripps, told The Student Life, a weekly student publication encompassing the Claremont Colleges, that she believed the change is a necessary step for the college to make in creating a safer environment for students.

“One’s gender identity should not be something that causes them anxiety in their everyday lives,” Neuberg said. “I hope that Scripps will continue to create a safe and comfortable place for its students, and that other colleges will take note so we can all work together to stop institutionalized violence.”

This change in policy comes after Scripps College, an all-women’s school, started admitting men who identify as women to the college in December. Male pronouns are included in the list of preferred pronouns students may choose from.

Scripps is a liberal arts institution located in Claremont, Calif.

PorkChopSandwiches
03-03-2015, 01:11 PM
Thank heavens, I was feeling so much anxiety

Teh One Who Knocks
03-03-2015, 01:12 PM
So what's your pronoun of choice then from all those choices? :-k

deebakes
03-03-2015, 01:41 PM
:facepalm:

PorkChopSandwiches
03-03-2015, 04:08 PM
I chose my own, "swinging dong"