PDA

View Full Version : Bottle of Bordeaux wine sells for £135,000 at Christie's

redred
05-28-2011, 06:29 PM
A single bottle of wine has sold for £135,000 in a London auction.
The six-litre bottle of 1961 Chateau Latour was sold to a Chinese bidder at Christie's auction house.
The sum was more than three times the expected price. Wine experts said the bottle was of "perfect provenance".
It would take someone earning the average UK wage more than five years to save up for the bottle. After tax, Prime Minister David Cameron could not afford it with his annual salary.
'Squeeze on supply'
In many parts of the UK it is possible to buy a house for less than the bottle.
Chateau Latour, made in Bordeaux, France, is considered one of the top five wines produced in the region.
Gary Boom, founder of London-based fine wine merchant Bordeaux Index, said: "The prices were encouraging but not surprising and shows how important the provenance is and how essential it is to buy from trusted and immaculate sources.
"Quite simply, when you have perfect provenance and a squeeze on supply then it's no surprise that prices reach these levels."
The fine wine market has been booming in London despite the economic slowdown.
It has been driven partly by an explosion of interest in fine wine from growing economies in the Far East - particularly in China, Hong Kong and Singapore.
'Big appetite'
Those regions have traditionally seen very low interest in wine, partly because grapes cannot grow in a tropical climate.
Mr Boom added: "What was most interesting is that in all vintages, including the younger ones, there was a big appetite for the large bottles such as double magnums and jeroboams.
"Traditionally Asian buyers don't go for big bottles so it's clear that there were many collectors on the phones bidding."
Last year the BBC tracked down what was thought to be the most expensive regular-sized bottle of wine for sale in London - a white Bordeaux made in Napoleonic times on offer at the princely sum of £75,000.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-13584532

Teh One Who Knocks
05-28-2011, 11:35 PM
The biggest question is.....why? :confused:

Loser
05-29-2011, 12:01 AM
http://i54.tinypic.com/140xnb4.jpg

30$....'nuff said...

Teh One Who Knocks
05-29-2011, 12:04 AM
http://i.imgur.com/3aR7V.jpg

$1 at happy hour :banana:

Loser
05-29-2011, 12:31 AM
Prefer whiskey when I'm home :P

Though when I go out drinking with friends I drink beer. Killians, Blue moon, MGD, etc...

Deepsepia
05-29-2011, 06:16 AM
The biggest question is.....why? :confused:

cuz the chinese have money, and this buys status.

Also, if the buyer is a restaurateur (they sometimes are) they get a ton of publicity and mileage from something like this-- you stick it on your wine list at some huge price, not really expecting that anyone will order it, but you get a lot of publicity,

Arkady Renko
05-30-2011, 01:04 PM
deep's got it nailed, I think it's nothing but a status symbol. Just like those ridiculously expensive super luxury blended whiskies for over a grand a bottle. Apparently most of them are bought by corporations in Japan and outh Korea who hand them out as presents to their best employees. Everyone knows at least roughly what they're worth so it's a token gesture of appreciation. Ironically it's considered rude to actually drink the whisky, instead they just put it into a showcase.

Hugh_Janus
05-30-2011, 09:23 PM
cuz the chinese have money, and this buys status.

Also, if the buyer is a restaurateur (they sometimes are) they get a ton of publicity and mileage from something like this-- you stick it on your wine list at some huge price, not really expecting that anyone will order it, but you get a lot of publicity,

deep's got it nailed, I think it's nothing but a status symbol. Just like those ridiculously expensive super luxury blended whiskies for over a grand a bottle. Apparently most of them are bought by corporations in Japan and outh Korea who hand them out as presents to their best employees. Everyone knows at least roughly what they're worth so it's a token gesture of appreciation. Ironically it's considered rude to actually drink the whisky, instead they just put it into a showcase.
fuck that! If I could fford £135k on a bottle of wine, I'd drink it just to piss people off

Hal-9000
05-30-2011, 10:20 PM
right up there with a million dollar diamond ring...what does it do? It sits there on some girl's finger (unless she's washing the dishes) and does very little else