PDA

View Full Version : Homeowners association denies playhouse for girl with leukemia

Teh One Who Knocks
03-06-2015, 11:07 AM
FOX News and The Associated Press

http://i.imgur.com/4ejdcLS.jpg

A young leukemia patient's dream of having her own playhouse has been crushed after the family’s homeowners association blocked their request to build one on their Missouri property.

The parents of six-year-old Ella Joe Schultz told The Kansas City Star that her health keeps her from playing with other children.

“She’s earned this – she deserves it,” Pete Schultz told the paper. “She can’t get out and play with other kids. This playhouse is what she would have. Is it really going to hurt someone?”

According to The Kansas City Star, Ella Joe has acute lymphoblastic leukemia and other ailments that have forced her to delay kindergarten. She’s had multiple surgeries and gets five to seven IV treatments a day.

The homeowners group in the Kansas City suburb of Raymore released a statement on its website saying the proposal for a “barn-style” playhouse was denied because it didn’t have enough details to merit an exemption.

“Our hearts are with Ella Schultz and her family as they battle this terrible illness,” the statement said.

Jennifer Schultz, Ella's mother, told the paper that the family twice has contacted hospice and that Ella’s survival chance dropped below 5 percent. The last thing the family wanted was another fight.

The uproar began when Ella’s aunt nominated her to Make-A-Wish Missouri. She said she wanted a playhouse with an upstairs, dishwasher and a land line, The Kansas City Star reported.

Make-A-Wish granted the request and a local construction company agreed to offer free labor and materials.

But the plan came to a screeching halt Monday, when the Stonegate Homeowners Association said the playhouse would violate rules against outside structures and sheds.

Schultz told the paper that he understands the association’s concern and didn’t want the situation to turn ugly. “But why do you buy a house anyway – if not to raise a family?”

The homeowners association said it will work to "figure out a way to make Ella's wish come true" and the group has requested additional information from the Make-A-Wish foundation and the construction company that has committed to building the playhouse.

Meanwhile, Ella has been in the hospital fighting complications from her cancer. University of Kansas Hospital spokesman Bob Hallinan confirmed that she remained in the hospital Thursday afternoon.

The Schultzs' neighbors have rallied around the family before, including last year when after spending several months in the hospital, Ella came home to a neighborhood parade.

Hal-9000
03-06-2015, 07:16 PM
that's some cold shit right there...they have donations and workers in place and the association is citing building violations....on a playhouse for someone who may not reach 7 years old?

:x

Hugh_Janus
03-07-2015, 08:32 AM
#likethatwouldstopme

Hikari Kisugi
03-07-2015, 11:07 AM
I am confused, why does the story state they want a dishwasher in a playhouse?
Is that the part of the regulations that is being breeched?
If so, just build it without a playhouse, or submit an actual plan, rather than sketchy details?
I find this odd.

PorkChopSandwiches
03-07-2015, 03:57 PM
STFU, who gives a shit about her leukemia, you bought a property with a HOA eat a dick

PorkChopSandwiches
03-07-2015, 05:03 PM
Shortly before 5 p.m. Thursday, the Stonegate Homeowners Association announced they will allow the little girl battling cancer to have her wish come true and get the playhouse she wanted. The group reversed its previous decision to block the 6-year-old’s playhouse from being built.

“We say a heartfelt thank you. It means the world to us because it’s all about her and her being happy and healthy,” Ella’s dad Pete Schultz said while smiling ear to ear.

He was thrilled to call Ella and tell her the news.

“She was yelling. She was like ‘Yeah! I’m going to have my own place outside where I can go,'” Schultz said.

Her backyard will be a place for her to just be a kid and take her mind off fighting a deadly form of cancer.

“It’s going to look amazing. I’m only allowed in it when I bake chocolate chip cookies and bring them to her,” Schultz said. “She’s going to love it.”

All the fun almost didn’t happen. The Stonegate HOA originally denied the Make-A-Wish request to build the playhouse, saying it violated covenants. People from all over the world wrote letters and emails to save Ella’s wish.

“The one thing she wanted, they were going to move mountains like I was wanting to, to make it happen,” Schultz said. “She’ll be able to have friends over, which she is really looking forward to that.”

Ella’s family is currently planning how they are going to do the big reveal. JE Dunn will build the playhouse, bring it in on a flat bed and use a crane to put it in the backyard.

The homeowners association declined an interview request, but sent a statement.

“Today, we are happy to share that we have reached a positive resolution to ensure Ella’s playhouse will be constructed.”

“Our board met with JE Dunn Construction and Make-A-Wish to gather additional information, and while we still have a few details and timelines to work out, we collectively reached the conclusion that Ella will get her wish. We couldn’t be more pleased to see that happen.”

“JE Dunn is thrilled to design and build the playhouse.”

Make-A-Wish Missouri also released a statement, saying how happy they were to come to an agreement.

“We are incredibly happy to learn that the Homeowner’s Association will work with Make-A-Wish, and our friends at JE Dunn, to see that Ella’s playhouse is built. At the heart of this matter has always been a young girl fighting leukemia, so we appreciate the willingness of the HOA to reach a compromise that will allow her wish to move forward. Make-A-Wish staff will work to ensure the playhouse meets all agreed upon requirements so that Ella can enjoy the playhouse in the coming weeks.”

There are new concerns that the homeowners association may be operating even though it is not in good standing with the Missouri Secretary of State’s Office.

A national group of activists questions whether or not the board had any authority to deny the little girl’s playhouse in the first place

Hal-9000
03-08-2015, 07:15 PM
I would have started building it and forced the issue if the above didn't happen..

make them try to stop you in person....the world is a public forum these days

Hal-9000
03-08-2015, 07:17 PM
would have been cool if they built it without permission, then the HOA tried to dismantle it

headline:

HOA tears down playhouse for child with Leukemia and destroys her last wish

Hal-9000
03-08-2015, 07:31 PM
saddest Make A Wish request ever......cure my cancer please

:(