PDA

View Full Version : 2 American tourists caught carving names into Rome's Colosseum

Teh One Who Knocks
03-09-2015, 10:47 AM
FOX News

http://i.imgur.com/g3775rG.jpg

Two American tourists now have a criminal record in Italy after they were caught carving their names into Rome's Colosseum, according to The Guardian.

The visiting Californians snuck away from their tour group on Saturday and began scratching their initials into the amphitheater walls using a coin, The Guardian reported.

Police caught the pair but not before they managed to carve a "J" and an "N" around 3 inches high into the Colosseum wall. The paper also reports that the women took a selfie with their carvings.

The young women, aged 21 and 25, were cited for "aggravated damage to a building of historical and artistic interest," according to The New York Post.

"We did not imagine it was something so serious," they reportedly said to Italian media, adding that they will remember the rules "for a lifetime."

Defacing the Colosseum's walls is strictly forbidden, but some visitors think little of breaking the rules, a spokesman for the Special Superintendency for the Archaeological Heritage of Rome told The Guardian.

"There's a difference in perception. Museums are treated like churches, sacred places where there are things of great value," he said."Whereas the Colosseum is an incomplete building which has already been robbed."

The arena was completed in the first century, but fell into disrepair after the fall of the Roman Empire and its stone was routinely quarried and used in other buildings.

The paper reports that three months earlier, a 42-year-old Russian tourist was caught carving a 10-inch-high letter into the Colosseum's walls. He was given a four-month suspended prison sentence and fined 20,000 euros (around $21,700).

Hal-9000
03-09-2015, 06:20 PM
"We did not imagine it was something so serious,"

:facepalm:

DemonGeminiX
03-09-2015, 06:26 PM
Not to excuse the idiocy of defacing a historic monument in a foreign country, but from what I've heard, it's a common practice to do what they did. I guess it's a matter of whether or not you get caught.

Hal-9000
03-09-2015, 06:29 PM
I wonder what the signage is like there regarding vandalism, theft etc...

I imagine the rules are pretty prominent :lol:

Teh One Who Knocks
03-09-2015, 06:30 PM
It's like when I was at the Louve when I went to Paris. You get to the Mona Lisa and there are very obvious signs stating "NO FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY" yet 95% of the people there can't read or something because there they are with their cameras flashing away :|

Hal-9000
03-09-2015, 06:55 PM
What's the reason behind the no flash pic taking?

Hal-9000
03-09-2015, 06:56 PM
the one guy in the story was fined almost 22000 for his 15 minutes...bet he'll think twice before doing that again

PorkChopSandwiches
03-09-2015, 06:59 PM

It gets in her eyes

Hal-9000
03-09-2015, 07:01 PM
It's like when I was at the Louve when I went to Paris. You get to the Mona Lisa and there are very obvious signs stating "NO FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY" yet 95% of the people there can't read or something because there they are with their cameras flashing away :|

wait...you've been to the Louve?????? :shock:

holy Robert Langdon

Hal-9000
03-09-2015, 07:01 PM
It gets in her eyes

usually does when I'm there..:naughty:

Hugh_Janus
03-09-2015, 07:45 PM

was that a knock-off museum in Paris, America? :-k

Teh One Who Knocks
03-09-2015, 09:58 PM

I'm thinking that the flashes affect the paint in some way, fading it prematurely I would imagine

wait...you've been to the Louve?????? :shock:

holy Robert Langdon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ov4epAJRPMw

was that a knock-off museum in Paris, America? :-k

I wager I've been to Europe more times than you've been to the United States ;)

Teh One Who Knocks
03-09-2015, 10:01 PM

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/1783/why-isnt-flash-photography-permitted-in-museums

deebakes
03-10-2015, 12:15 AM
fucking americans :x

Hugh_Janus
03-10-2015, 08:34 PM
I wager I've been to Europe more times than you've been to the United States ;)

That's because there's only only two things worth seeing in america.... and one of those things you can see in canada :nana:

Muddy
03-10-2015, 08:34 PM
That's because there's only only two things worth seeing in america.... and one of those things you can see in canada :nana:

You are delusional, my non-chicken wing eating friend.

Hugh_Janus
03-10-2015, 08:49 PM
ok.... 3 things.... I want to see you, muddy

Muddy
03-10-2015, 08:50 PM
:beerchug:

Goofy
03-10-2015, 09:08 PM
That's because there's only only two things worth seeing in america....

Britney Spears and Kim Kardashian? :-k

DemonGeminiX
03-10-2015, 09:52 PM
There's tons of crap to see in the USA. Loads of stuff on the east coast by itself... if you know where to look.

deebakes
03-11-2015, 12:16 AM
mall of america, it's the most visited destination in the us :dance:

suck on that porky, you beaner :woot: