PDA

View Full Version : Two officers shot, seriously injured outside Ferguson police department

Teh One Who Knocks
03-12-2015, 10:40 AM
FOX News and The Associated Press

http://i.imgur.com/qGqRxkk.jpg

Two police officers were shot and seriously wounded early Thursday outside the police department in Ferguson, Mo. amid protests that followed the resignation of the town's police chief.

St. Louis County Police Chief Jon Belmar told a news conference that a 41-year-old officer from St. Louis County was shot in the shoulder at around midnight local time, while a 32-year-old officer from suburban Webster Groves was shot in the face. Both victims were taken to a local hospital. Belmar said both men were conscious, but had no further word about their condition except to describe the injuries as "very serious."

Belmar said that at least three shots were fired and were believed to come from a house across the street from the police department.

"I don't know who did the shooting, to be honest with you," Belmar said, adding that he could not provide a description of the suspect or gun.

He said his "assumption" was that, based on where the officers were standing and the trajectory of the bullets, "these shots were directed exactly at my officers."

The shooting was first reported by the St. Louis Post-Dispatch.

Marciay Pitchford, 20, was among the protesters outside the police department. He told The Associated Press the protest had been mostly peaceful until he heard the shots ring out.

"I saw the officer go down and the other police officers drew their guns while other officers dragged the injured officer away," Pitchford said. "All of a sudden everybody started running or dropping to the ground," he said.

Belmar said that some officers had begun to leave the area due to the lack of activity prior to the shooting.

"I've said many times we cannot sustain this [unrest] without problems and that's not a reflection of those expressing their First Amendment rights," Belmar told the Post-Dispatch. "But this is a very dangerous environment for our officers to work in."

KTVI reported that as many as 200 people had gathered to demand more changes in the city's government after the resignation of Police Chief Tom Jackson Wednesday afternoon. The station reported that at least one person had been arrested and that protesters blocked traffic on nearby Florissant Road.

Jackson was the sixth Ferguson employee to resign or be fired after a Justice Department report cleared white former officer Darren Wilson of civil rights charges in the shooting of black 18-year-old Michael Brown this past August, but found a profit-driven court system and widespread racial bias in the city police department.

Mayor James Knowles III announced Wednesday that the city had reached a mutual separation agreement with Jackson that will pay Jackson one year of his nearly $96,000 annual salary and health coverage. Jackson's resignation becomes effective March 19, at which point Lt. Col. Al Eickhoff will become acting chief while the city searches for a replacement.

Jackson oversaw the Ferguson force for nearly five years before the shooting that stirred months of unrest across the St. Louis region and drew global attention to the predominantly black city of 21,000.

Jackson had previously resisted calls by protesters and some of Missouri's top elected leaders to step down over his handling of Brown's shooting and the weeks of sometimes-violent protests that followed. He was widely criticized from the outset, both for an aggressive police response to protesters and for his agency's erratic and infrequent releases of key information.

In addition to Jackson, Ferguson's court. clerk was fired last week and two police officers resigned. The judge who oversaw the court system also resigned, and the City Council on Tuesday agreed to a separation agreement with the city manager.

Teh One Who Knocks
03-12-2015, 10:41 AM
I wonder what the odds are that the shooter is black? :-k

Goofy
03-12-2015, 12:04 PM
Thats what they deserve! We all know all cops are arseholes just looking for an excuse to shoot people, karma bitch! :fbd:

Pony
03-12-2015, 12:21 PM
I wonder how many law abiding citizens that saw and can identify the shooter will come forward to help catch the shooter?

deebakes
03-12-2015, 01:25 PM
:sad2:

Pony
03-12-2015, 04:37 PM
Here's a quote from another article

"I don't know who did the shooting, ... but somehow they were embedded in that group of folks," Belmar said.

Protesters at the scene said on social media, however, that the shots did not come from where they were standing.

"The shooter was not with the protesters. The shooter was atop the hill," activist DeRay McKesson said on Twitter.
"I was here. I saw the officer fall. The shot came from at least 500 feet away from the officers," he said.

Really? 500 feet away with a handgun and he hit 2 cops firing 3 shots?

redred
03-12-2015, 04:42 PM
team :tinfoil: says it was the CIA

Teh One Who Knocks
03-12-2015, 04:42 PM

Yeah, I call BS on that one

DemonGeminiX
03-12-2015, 04:45 PM
The cops were released from the hospital. And it looks like they've taken some people in for questioning.

PorkChopSandwiches
03-12-2015, 04:54 PM

Where does it say anything about it being a handgun

FBD
03-12-2015, 08:41 PM
Thats what they deserve! We all know all cops are arseholes just looking for an excuse to shoot people, karma bitch! :fbd:

which is why it wouldnt surprise me if it turns out to be a government agitator to begin with

Pony
03-12-2015, 09:35 PM
Where does it say anything about it being a handgun

It may not say in this article. In others I read they had found the shell casings and identified it as a handgun.

PorkChopSandwiches
03-12-2015, 10:16 PM
Ahh, seems like a tough couple shots for sure with a handgun

Pony
03-12-2015, 10:19 PM
Ahh, seems like a tough couple shots for sure with a handgun

I did see someone said the cops were all lined up shoulder to shoulder, I suppose that could make it easier to hit them from 500 yards. Still more likely the shooter was in the crowd or somewhere else closer than the "witness" claims..

Teh One Who Knocks
03-12-2015, 10:22 PM
I did see someone said the cops were all lined up shoulder to shoulder, I suppose that could make it easier to hit them from 500 yards. Still more likely the shooter was in the crowd or somewhere else closer than the "witness" claims..

500 feet is the better part of 200 yards (which is a pretty damn good shot for an average Joe with a well sighted in rifle, nevermind a handgun), even if they were all standing shoulder to shoulder, the amount of drop that would happen on a larger handgun round would be quite a bit, it would be blind freaking luck for some gang banger wannabe to hit someone that far away with a pistol.

Pony
03-12-2015, 10:29 PM
You mean the witness's statement might not be true or accurate? blasphemy.

PorkChopSandwiches
03-13-2015, 12:10 AM
500 feet is the better part of 200 yards (which is a pretty damn good shot for an average Joe with a well sighted in rifle, nevermind a handgun), even if they were all standing shoulder to shoulder, the amount of drop that would happen on a larger handgun round would be quite a bit, it would be blind freaking luck for some gang banger wannabe to hit someone that far away with a pistol.

Let alone 2

Teh One Who Knocks
03-16-2015, 10:19 AM
By Richard Valdmanis

http://i.imgur.com/MRvCSXy.jpg

FERGUSON, Mo. (Reuters) - A 20-year-old man was charged on Sunday with first-degree assault in last week's shooting of two policemen during a protest rally in Ferguson, Missouri, a crime that shocked a city that has been devastated by months of racial strife.

The suspect, Jeffrey L. Williams, has admitted to firing the shots that wounded the officers early on Thursday, said St. Louis County Prosecuting Attorney Robert McCulloch.

The gunfire rang out just after midnight at the end of a rally to call for sweeping reforms in Ferguson, where an unarmed black 18-year-old was shot to death by a white officer last summer.

Michael Brown's death touched off months of protests against law enforcement's treatment of minority groups, in Ferguson and around the country, and led to a U.S. Justice Department probe that found pervasive racial bias on the part of the city's mostly white police force.

Williams was arrested after a massive manhunt, with the help of tips from the public and video evidence, McCulloch told a news conference.

An African American who had been on probation for possession of stolen property, Williams told investigators that he was not targeting police but was shooting at someone else, McCulloch said.

A 41-year-old county police officer suffered a shoulder wound and a 32-year-old from a nearby police department sustained a facial wound in Thursday's shooting. Both were treated and released by a local hospital.

Williams, whose bond was set at $300,000, appears to have fired a .40-caliber handgun from a car, McCulloch said.

A lawyer for Williams could not immediately be reached.

A handgun was recovered in his residence and matched shell casings found at the scene, according to McCulloch, who said that although Williams appeared to be the only shooter, other people may be charged as the investigation continues.

"This arrest sends a clear message that acts of violence against our law enforcement personnel will never be tolerated," U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder said in a statement.

The shootings took place just hours after Ferguson's police chief resigned in the wake of the scathing U.S. Justice Department report. Chief Tom Jackson's resignation followed the departures of the city manager and a municipal judge.

PRE-SHOOTING ROBBERY

The extent to which Williams may have been involved in street demonstrations remains unclear. McCullough said Williams may have participated in protests. Several long-time activists said they did not recognize or know Williams.

One frequent protester, Bishop Derrick Robinson, told local media that he had spoken to Williams early on Sunday and said the shooting had nothing to do with the protests.

Robinson said Williams had told him that he had been robbed earlier that night, and had returned to the area and shot his gun in the air out of frustration.

"He told me that he shouldn't have done it," Robinson told the St. Louis Post-Dispatch. "He was embarrassed. He showed deep remorse. He wishes he could retract things."

News of Sunday's arrest was greeted on the streets of Ferguson with a mix of relief and a sense that the protests would not fade away.

"I just hope they got the right guy, and that he gets what he deserves," said Gussie Klorer, a 60-year-old professor at St Louis University, adding she thought the arrest would have no bearing on the street demonstrations.

"The protests seem to have a life of their own," she said.

But the news also prompted a show of support for Ferguson's beleaguered police force. Dozens of people gathered in front of police headquarters, many of them holding signs reading "We Support the Badge" and "Thank You Police."

There was a brief clash on Sunday between the pro-police demonstrators and about 15 people who converged on them shouting "you support baby killers", while one among them trampled and ripped an American flag.

The two groups met in the middle of the street, face to face, and began shouting at each other, though tensions cooled after the pro-police group disbanded.

The Justice Department report said Ferguson police overwhelmingly arrested and issued traffic citations to black residents to boost city coffers through fines. That helped create a culture of distrust that exploded in August when city police officer Darren Wilson fatally shot Brown.

deebakes
03-16-2015, 01:01 PM
he's black :shock:

Goofy
03-16-2015, 01:14 PM
A black guy, who'd ever have guessed that? :shock:

Teh One Who Knocks
03-16-2015, 01:18 PM
he's black :shock:

:racist:

A black guy, who'd ever have guessed that? :shock:

:racist:

perrhaps
03-16-2015, 01:23 PM
Let's all burn down some stores; loot ,and shit, in the name of reverse racism.

Hal-9000
03-16-2015, 04:48 PM
"He told me that he shouldn't have done it," Robinson told the St. Louis Post-Dispatch. "He was embarrassed. He showed deep remorse. He wishes he could retract things."

He gonna be black and blue...the remorse etc comes from being caught. The cops don't really care what his motivations were behind the shootings, he shot at police.