PDA

View Full Version : Naked Man Terrorizing Neighbors from Doorway Is Not Breaking Any Laws, According to Local Police

Teh One Who Knocks
03-19-2015, 11:55 AM
By WBTV Web Staff

http://i.imgur.com/V6rG8qt.jpg

CHARLOTTE, NC (WBTV) -

Residents in a Charlotte neighborhood say they are fed up with a neighbor they say stands at the front door of his home naked, but police say he's not doing anything illegal.

People in the Cardinal Glen neighborhood in north Charlotte say the man has been doing this for nearly ten years and on Friday, they called police again.

"I was out rolling the trash can on Friday and I just happened to look over there and he was standing there buck naked," neighbor Pecolia Threatt said. "It's not good to have people walking around here naked like that a grown man like that with all these kids out here you know,"

Neighbors say the man opens his door in the nude and even talks on his cell phone all in clear view of his neighbors. They're disgusted and fed up.

“Because my daughter grew up in this neighborhood. Even this week, when she was home from spring break, she would call me at work and say 'Mom, I'm getting ready to go outside, but let me check if he's out there first'. That's how bad it is in the neighborhood,” another neighbor Adrienna Harris said.

Harris says she's called police numerous times over the last ten years to complain, but nothing has been done.

A spokeswoman for the Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department confirms that officers were called to the home on Friday.

"Since it is not a criminal incident, it was documented in the 'call for service' but there is no report," the spokeswoman told WBTV.

She added that officers confirmed with the magistrate that the incident did not rise to a level of a charge, since the man was on his own property.

"After consulting with the magistrate and Police Attorney, unless he is outside of his home, he cannot be charged," she said. She says officials are looking into "additional options" to help resolve the issue.

According to North Carolina law, a person can only be charged with indecent exposure if they "willfully expose the private parts of his or her person in any public place and in the presence of any other person or persons."

Parents told WBTV they are worried. They want to come together to help change that law to protect their children.

"I don't let them go outside and play," Harris said. "I have to keep them inside the house because that's really inappropriate for young kids to see stuff like that."

City leaders say neighbors do have the option of filing a complaint with the homeowners association that prohibits nuisance activity on a property.

"Because what's actually happening is this particular neighbor is making it difficult for people and adjoining neighbors to have the quiet enjoyment of their homes," said City Council Member for District Four Greg Phipps.

Since the beginning of 2015, officers have been called to the man's home four times: January 2, January 5. March 3 and Friday, according to police records.

This week, neighbors were able to capture pictures and video of the man standing at his door.

"I saw the video just now so now I know that people around here aren't just making up things," said Clinton Washington.

We tried talking to the man, but he ran away from the camera covering his face. Neighbors are hoping with these images the Homeowners Association can file some type of nuisance complaint.

deebakes
03-19-2015, 12:58 PM
:woot: