PDA

View Full Version : Driver gets $200 ticket for putting on lip balm behind the wheel

Teh One Who Knocks
04-03-2015, 10:48 AM
By Sharie Johnson - 8 News Now

http://i.imgur.com/qJniAhA.jpg

LAS VEGAS -- The Nevada Highway Patrol has a campaign to crackdown on distracted drivers, but how far is too far when it comes to cracking the whip? 8 News NOW decided to examine that question after a Las Vegas woman said she received a ticket for putting on lip balm at a red light.

Stephanie Fragoso said she was cited Wednesday during the statewide crackdown. She said she was at a red light at I-15 and Blue Diamond when it happened.

Fragoso said when she asked the officer why he pulled her over, he told her it was for putting on makeup.

"I told him it was Chapstick,” Fragoso said.

Initially, Fragoso thought the entire thing was a joke, especially since it was April Fools Day, but when she received the $200 citation, she quickly realized that wasn't the case.

“He said 'it could have been anything; you could have been drinking water, shaving your legs',” said Fragoso.

Law enforcement officers say drivers can be ticketed for any distraction that takes their focus away from the road and their hands off the wheel. Nevada Highway Patrol trooper Loy Hixson said this is a city and county ordinance most people don't know about.

“It states that when a person is operating a vehicle they must provide full attention to the driving so that it won't render that action to be unsafe,” Hixson said.

When it comes to distracted drivers, Hixson said he has seen it all.

“They may be eating; we've seen women putting on makeup. I have seen men shaving with their electric razors," Hixson said. "One time, when I was driving down U.S. 95, I saw a lady watching a movie on her iPad and the iPad was attached to her steering wheel with Velcro."

Hixson says each ticket is issued on a case by case basis. For example, some drivers that may be an exception to the rule are people with medical conditions. Take a person who may have an episode; those drivers most likely will not receive a citation, according to Hixson.

However, that wasn't the case for Fragoso. The valley woman said she learned a tough lesson that day. Fragoso says she plans to be more conscience.

Along, with the fine, Fragoso's ticket caused her to receive points against her driving record.

FBD
04-03-2015, 11:03 AM
fuck you assholes I used to drive to works years ago with a coffee, bagel, and cigarette, stick shift, and traffic was pretty much perpetually bumper to bumper, never had a single issue. (and that pos maxima had no cupholders either, so coffee was a precarious balance by the e brake if anything)

but of course its completely fine for the protected class (e.g. cops and government workers) to do any measure of this while driving.

saw a goddam cop drive by the other day and his head was looking down below the fuggin steering wheel the whole way up the street. :willie:

I would seriously have ripped the ticket up for this cop and said get your police state crap out of my face, if you want to try and cite me for something legitimate go ahead.

Hugh_Janus
04-05-2015, 09:17 PM
I bet you'd be the first person to kick off is someone drove into your car because they weren't concentrating on the road due to the fact theey spilled boiling hot coffee over themselves

Hal-9000
04-06-2015, 05:13 PM
one thing they never mention are the vehicles nowadays....some of the biggest distractions come from the dashboard with all of the cool, new features...

people get mesmerized by bling, were not made to have 10 different touch functions and warning screens to be flashing in our faces while driving..

Old skule - 9000