PDA

View Full Version : Antarctica hits 63 degrees, believed to be a record

Teh One Who Knocks
04-03-2015, 11:13 AM
By Katia Hetter, CNN

http://i.imgur.com/C5BOwUL.jpg

(CNN)A high temperature of 63.5 degrees Fahrenheit might sound like a pleasant day in early spring -- unless you're in Antarctica.

The chilly continent recorded the temperature (15.5 degrees Celsius) on March 24, possibly the highest ever recorded on Antarctica, according to the Weather Underground.

The temperature was recorded at Argentina's Esperanza Base on the northern tip of the Antarctica Peninsula, according to CNN affiliate WTNH. (Note to map lovers: The Argentine base is not geographically part of the South American continent.)

The World Meteorological Organization, a specialized United Nations agency, is in the process of setting up an international ad-hoc committee of about 10 blue-ribbon climatologists and meteorologists to begin collecting relevant evidence, said Randy Cerveny, the agency's lead rapporteur of weather and climate extremes and Arizona State University professor of geographical sciences.

The committee will examine the equipment used to measure the temperature, whether it was in good working order, whether the correct monitoring procedures were followed, whether the equipment was placed in the correct location and whether the measurement is matched by corresponding records from surrounding stations, Cerveny said.

The committee will discuss the issues and make a recommendation to Cerveny, who will make an official finding, probably by late summer or early fall.

Researchers who study climate change carefully watch weather changes in the Antarctic region and elsewhere for evidence that the Earth is getting warmer.

FBD
04-03-2015, 11:19 AM
So once again, use data from an entirely different climactic zone, to say something about the zone where you want to skew the data :lol:

Hmmmm ya think its got anything to do with some of the flows changing and the probability for an el nino going from small chance to absolutely definitely, given what happened with a certain warm water channel!?

WEATHER you fraudsters

Pony
04-03-2015, 11:34 AM
How come every time there is a record high ONE DAY in one spot it's "climate change" but when it's an all time record low month (feb/cleveland) it's just natural climate fluctuations?

FBD
04-03-2015, 11:37 AM
its called heads I win tails you lose, my piss poor math doesnt ever need to be checked, especially not by a statistician :lol:

Hal-9000
04-03-2015, 04:40 PM
we didn't have winter this year....and that's NEVER happened before in the 5 decades I've been alive and the 8 decades my Dad has lived.....fluke or trend to warmer temps? :-k

Teh One Who Knocks
04-03-2015, 04:47 PM
we didn't have winter this year....and that's NEVER happened before in the 5 decades I've been alive and the 8 decades my Dad has lived.....fluke or trend to warmer temps? :-k

It snowed here last night/this morning :|

Hal-9000
04-03-2015, 04:51 PM
It snowed here last night/this morning :|

and that's a bad thing???

:lol: wait, don't answer I can't keep up with you anymore

Teh One Who Knocks
04-03-2015, 05:09 PM
and that's a bad thing???

:lol: wait, don't answer I can't keep up with you anymore

It is when I have to drive to work in it :x

Hal-9000
04-03-2015, 05:10 PM
:lol:

FBD
04-03-2015, 05:24 PM

Hal, please look up into the sky find the bright object, and point :lol:

what happened with the shrinking of the polar vortex prevented any el nino conditions manifesting in the atmosphere, despite the sea surface temperature anomalies being very high - this is why you saw them say OOhh! OHH! EL NINO!!! and break out the champagne and news articles a little while back.....and then we sat here and watched none of it gain any traction with the atmosphere, which has to happen for "el nino" to be present...other than that, its just high SST anomaly.

the larger planets lagged the tides enough that we had sunspot funk.

reliable sources I see (who have made the last handful of these el nino predictions correctly) say nothing until 2020, and then it will be strong la nina...

deebakes
04-04-2015, 12:07 AM
:rip:

Hal-9000
04-04-2015, 12:52 AM
Hal, please look up into the sky find the bright object, and point :lol:

what happened with the shrinking of the polar vortex prevented any el nino conditions manifesting in the atmosphere, despite the sea surface temperature anomalies being very high - this is why you saw them say OOhh! OHH! EL NINO!!! and break out the champagne and news articles a little while back.....and then we sat here and watched none of it gain any traction with the atmosphere, which has to happen for "el nino" to be present...other than that, its just high SST anomaly.

the larger planets lagged the tides enough that we had sunspot funk.

reliable sources I see (who have made the last handful of these el nino predictions correctly) say nothing until 2020, and then it will be strong la nina...

The biggest cause for our recent Global warming conditions are the large gusts of hot air that come from Connecticut every time you post [-(

Hal-9000
04-04-2015, 12:52 AM
*points*

:haha:

Pony
04-04-2015, 07:47 AM
:rofl:

FBD
04-04-2015, 03:06 PM
The biggest cause for our recent Global warming conditions are the large gusts of hot air that come from Connecticut every time you post [-(

:lol: hahahahaha that was a good one :lol:

good thing I dont blame other people when they dont understand :lol:

Hal-9000
04-04-2015, 04:39 PM
:lol:

lotsa luv

FBD
04-05-2015, 12:03 PM
:beer: :lol:

Hal-9000
04-05-2015, 04:47 PM
more global warming :bbq: