PDA

View Full Version : Report: US kept secret records of Americans' international phone calls

Teh One Who Knocks
04-08-2015, 11:48 AM
FOX News

The U.S. government kept secret records of Americans’ international telephone calls beginning nearly a decade before the 9/11 terrorist attacks, USA Today reported Tuesday.

The paper, quoting current and former officials involved with the operation, said that for more than two decades, the Justice Department and Drug Enforcement Administration kept logs of virtually all calls between the U.S. and as many as 116 countries linked to drug trafficking.

Department of Justice spokesman Patrick Rodenbush told Fox News, "The program was suspended in September 2013 and ultimately terminated. It has not been active nor searchable since September 2013, and all of the information has been deleted. The agency is no longer collecting bulk telephony metadata from U.S. service providers."

USA Today said the program provided a blueprint for the NSA surveillance that followed and enabled investigators to track drug cartel networks, their trafficking rings and money handlers.

FBD
04-08-2015, 01:27 PM
"The program was suspended in September 2013 and ultimately terminated. It has not been active nor searchable since September 2013, and all of the information has been deleted. The agency is no longer collecting bulk telephony metadata from U.S. service providers."

:rofl:

what other lies would you like to present to us today you DoJ traitor

FBD
04-08-2015, 04:10 PM
^^ of course, he was referring to the DEA's program, not the NSA. (words chosen carefully)

and in fact, the government used to spy on fucking telegraphs...
https://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2005/12/project_shamroc.html

Project SHAMROCK...was an espionage exercise that involved the accumulation of all telegraphic data entering into or exiting from the United States. The Armed Forces Security Agency (AFSA) and its successor NSA were given direct access to daily microfilm copies of all incoming, outgoing, and transiting telegraphs via the Western Union and its associates RCA and ITT. Operation Shamrock lasted well into the 1960s when computerized operations (HARVEST) made it possible to search for keywords rather than read through all communications.

Project SHAMROCK became so successful that in 1966 the NSA and CIA set up a front company in lower Manhattan (where the offices of the telegraph companies were located) under the codename LPMEDLEY. At the height of Project SHAMROCK, 150,000 messages a month were printed and analyzed by NSA agents. In May 1975 however, congressional critics began to investigate and expose the program. As a result, NSA director Lew Allen terminated it. The testimony of both the representatives from the cable companies and of director Allen at the hearings prompted Senate Intelligence Committee chairman Sen. Frank Church to conclude that Project SHAMROCK was "probably the largest government interception program affecting Americans ever undertaken."

sure, terminated just like cointelpro - just give it a new name, and oh btw, this project is ultra classified :roll: see? we terminated the old program :lol: fkn idiots.

FBD
04-08-2015, 04:17 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFXLBovXmAY

I'd vote for Jesse

let me rephrase that, I'd actually go out and vote, for Jesse

FBD
04-13-2015, 02:24 PM
NSA surveillance was birthed from Israel and their successful efforts to compromise our entire domestic phone system in 1997.

I don't know how to say this any louder or clearer: IT WAS NO FUCKING SECRET!

The Communications Assistance for Law Enforcement Act (CALEA (https://www.eff.org/issues/calea)) was signed into law in 1994. Tech types immediately recognized it as a way to exploit the change to digital voice communications and digital switching. It didn't matter if you were still using an old analog phone line - everything changed to digital past your exchange (the switch). CALEA basically forced all the local and long-distance exchange providers to use equipment that allowed AUTOMATIC TAPPING. In 1996 and 1997 the Justice Department, under the guise of the DEA and 'War on Drugs', i.e. 'War on the Constitution', started installing DOMESTIC CALL TRACKING and AUTOMATED LINE TAPPING AND RECORDING EQUIPMENT in every phone company. We were pissed about it - there were plenty of switch techs that described what the hell was going on. Who were the only Americans interested? A few teenage phone hacking enthusiasts and the occasional left-over hippies turned lawyers interested in the Constitution. The Mainstream Media? Nope. The government and politicians? Nope - the Justice Department/Mossad would take care of anyone asking too many questions (or reveal their pedophilia, drug habits or insider trading activity if they were politicians).

It's no secret that - because of CALEA - the Justice Department/DEA/NSA started buying boatloads of Israeli technology and hooking it up directly to U.S. local phone exchanges to make tapping and recording calls as easy as the push of a button. Google Verint and STAR-GATETM. That was the OLD Israeli syping-riddent technology that was replaced by VeriSign after 2002. The Comverse/Verint stuff was the insecure equipment that allowed Israel open access to anything the DEA had tapped or anything Israel wanted to tap. It took the Dutch government to discover Israel's widespread exploitation of their equipment and report this TO THE USA who didn't believe earlier reports FROM THE CIA.

Call metadata for all domestic phones? At least that wasn't available before 9/11, was it? No secret databases, right? That couldn't have been compromised by Israel, could it? The data siphoning equipment wasn't available for all the phone switches, so at least that was safe, right? Well, yeah... as long as you ignore the phone billing systems. One of the largest was AMDOCS, and Israeli company. They were reported to the CIA in 1997 as a potential Mossad information source. The CIA investigation found that AMDOCS 'agents' had the numbers and call records of every last FBI 'black' phone, every FBI and DEA agent, and probably every last politician in Washington. Worse yet, through infiltration at local phone companies, Israel had REAL-TIME TAPPING CAPABILITY OF WHITE HOUSE PHONES. This was reported through a number of sources in 2000. Read that again: the year 2000. This (https://www.wrmea.org/2000-june/despite-coverup-israel-caught-spying-in-washington-again.html) is the fist thing Google coughed up about the incident. The U.S. had to negotiate (threaten) AMDOCS for data. Israel already owned the data - it was basically their damn company!

The mock outrage at the recent USA Today article is disturbing as hell. Gosh, the US government was tracking domestic phone calls for years? Screw that - where the fuck is the outrage that Israel was doing this pretty much at will in 1997? Where is the outrage that Israeli organized crime pretty much took over the cocaine business in L.A. and Las Vegas in 1998 because they knew when the DEA was going to bust their competitors. Israeli drug lords had better access to U.S. domestic phone tapping equipment and billing records than our own damn government in 1998.

And who tried to cover up all this embarrassing breakdown of DEA security and the integrity of our phone system? Why, our own U.S. Justice Department - offing whistle-blowers for 100+ years and counting.

FBD
04-13-2015, 02:26 PM
I must add that the NSA is itself UNCONSTITUTIONAL. It was created by the dictate of a president. Ditto FEMA.

"President Truman created the supersecret National Security Agency (NSA) by secret Executive order on November 4, 1952."
http://www.bibliotecapleyades.net/sociopolitica/sociopol_nsa.htm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEVlyP4_11M

redred
04-13-2015, 04:41 PM
anything else :lol:

Teh One Who Knocks
04-13-2015, 04:43 PM
I must add that the NSA is itself UNCONSTITUTIONAL. It was created by the dictate of a president. Ditto FEMA.

"President Truman created the supersecret National Security Agency (NSA) by secret Executive order on November 4, 1952."
http://www.bibliotecapleyades.net/sociopolitica/sociopol_nsa.htm

It may have been secretive and classified, but it was hardly illegal or unconstitutional:

Presidential Directives, better known as Presidential Decision Directives (or PDDs) are a form of an executive order issued by the President of the United States with the advice and consent of the National Security Council. The directives articulate the executive's national security policy and carry the "full force and effect of law".

Since many of the Presidential Directives pertain to the national security of the United States, many remain classified.

perrhaps
04-13-2015, 05:26 PM
Am I going to jail because of all those goddamn phone solicitations I get from Canadian pharmacies?

redred
04-13-2015, 05:31 PM

perrhaps
04-13-2015, 05:53 PM

No, I legitimately went to a pharmacy in Toronto when I was there on business with several prescriptions for medicines (non dick-hardeners) from my local physicians. While I saved a ton of money for six months worth of medicine, The pharmacy or an employee must have sold my information.

Right after I arrived home, Bangladesh Chuckie and Manila Stevie began their calls. My state's "Do Not Call Act" doesn't protect me, because I've actually purchased something in the past from the pharmacy.

redred
04-13-2015, 06:17 PM
:lol: that sucks

PorkChopSandwiches
04-13-2015, 06:33 PM
Do you still get mail on Saturdays though?

FBD
04-13-2015, 07:28 PM
It may have been secretive and classified, but it was hardly illegal or unconstitutional:

:lol:

:lol:

and you wonder why I say the things I do

This says it all right here:

Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force. — Thomas Jefferson

This Assembly doth explicitly and peremptorily declare, that it views the powers of the federal government, as resulting from the compact, to which the states are parties; as limited by the plain sense and intention of the instrument constituting the compact; as no further valid than they are authorized by the grants enumerated in that compact; and that in case of deliberate, palpable, and dangerous exercise of other powers, not granted by the said compact, the states who are parties thereto, have the right, and are in duty bound, to interpose for arresting the progress of the evil, and for maintaining within their respective limits, the authorities, rights and liberties appertaining to them. — James Madison

If the federal government should overpass the just bounds of its authority and make a tyrannical use of its powers, the people, whose creature it is, must appeal to the standard they have formed, and take such measures to redress the injury done to the Constitution as the exigency may suggest and prudence justify. — Alexander Hamilton, Federalist No. 33

I consider the foundation of the Constitution as laid on this ground that 'all powers not delegated to the United States, by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the states, are reserved to the states or to the people.' To take a single step beyond the boundaries thus specially drawn around the powers of Congress, is to take possession of a boundless field of power, not longer susceptible of any definition." — Thomas Jefferson

instead we have assholes that believe this:

The illegal we do immediately. The unconstitutional takes a little longer.
Henry A. Kissinger

and our redress:

“We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.”
― Abraham Lincoln

Every single illegal, unconstitutional usurpation of law and authority not granted needs to be reversed. I dont give two fucks what some asshole says about his words containing the full force of law, just because he says so....

If it goes against the constitution, DONE right there, is has no force of law behind it whatsoever.

(but that doesnt mean it doesnt have force of thug "law" that carries no constitutional weight.)

my state never ratified the 16th amendment, wtf do I need to pay income taxes for? as constructed, the 16th amendment is unconstitutional.

Unconstitutional things need to be removed from the constitution.

But since all 3 branches of our government are bought and paid for, and are not beholden to the interests of the american people, but to the lobbying money that gets donated to their coffers, we've got a bit of a fkn problem here.

perrhaps
04-13-2015, 07:42 PM
Do you still get mail on Saturdays though?

You betcha! Rite Aid circulars; that nice Alex Trebek offering me and the missus life insurance with no fear of being turned down; an AARP application and my Consumer Cellular bill.

When I retire in June, I'll be able to look out the window SIX DAYS A WEEK with my Rottweiler and look down the street for the mail truck to come!

You know what else, Bub? I'm going to sit at the computer, dressed in my pajamas, and play poker on the internet for hours every blessed day.

When I get tired of doing that, I'll call the police every day to report any vehicles I don't recognize that are parked on the street in front of my neighbors' houses.

For an occasional change of pace, I'll go to the mall and sit by the fountain with all the other old fucks, and talk about my bowel movements since the last time I saw them. I'll bring my own tuna fish sandwiches, and hope the mall cops don't notice and chase me out.

Maybe me and the missus will move to Florida, and eat dinner at 3:45 p.m., to save two bucks at early-bird specials. We'll load goldfish in her purse when nobody's looking and have them for breakfast the next day.

May not sound like much of a life to you "Mr.- Internet- Whiz- Kid-With-A-Negress-In-His-Avatar ", but I'd rather be on the wrong side of the grass than be some chump living in a tract house, commuting to LA every day to start your slaving job to get your pay!

You mind your business, Mr. Businessman (if you can) and me and my wife; our 145 lb. rescued Rottweiler, and our shotguns will take care of our own. God help any misguided thieving minority youths whose car breaks down in front of our house!

P. S. Say "hi' to all of your Beaner neighbors for me!

PorkChopSandwiches
04-13-2015, 07:45 PM

Ill say hi for you