PDA

View Full Version : Man lifts girlfriend's car with forklift, then drops while she's in it

Teh One Who Knocks
05-31-2011, 04:41 PM
By Patrick Johnson, The Springfield Republican

http://i.imgur.com/5PxTp.jpg

SPRINGFIELD - A 41-year-old city man who got into an argument with his girlfriend at his job on Saturday was charged with lifting her car up with a forklift and then dropping it to the ground with her in it, police said.

Brian Hurley of 188 Dayton St., was charged with assault and battery with a dangerous weapon, a forklift, assault and battery, and malicious damage to a motor vehicle, police said.

The incident took place at New England Warehousing Inc., 125 Paridon St., in East Forest Park. Police were called to the scene at 9:40 a.m.

The victim, whose name was not released, told police she was dropping Hurley off at work when the two got into an argument over money. She told police Hurley slapped her, got out of the car and started kicking the sides of the vehicle, causing several dents.

She said he then got into a forklift and then drove it into her car while she was still in it. He then hoisted the car up, carried it several feet and then dropped it to the ground, police said.

Hurley ran off before police arrived. He was later located sitting on the back steps of his residence on Dayton Street.

He is scheduled to be arraigned Tuesday in Springfield District Court.

DemonGeminiX
05-31-2011, 04:43 PM
Is this in Connecticut?

:-s

Teh One Who Knocks
05-31-2011, 04:49 PM
Massachusetts

DemonGeminiX
05-31-2011, 04:51 PM
There's Springfield's all over the place!

fricnjay
05-31-2011, 05:18 PM
I drove Fork trucks a good portion of my earlier adult years and you cannot just "drop" something. The forks dont retract or magically disappear.

DemonGeminiX
05-31-2011, 05:19 PM
Can you not reverse in a way that the forks slide out from underneath the car, allowing it to drop?

:-k

Teh One Who Knocks
05-31-2011, 05:24 PM
If you go 'full down' with the forks, especially with that amount of weight, it will come down fast enough where it feels like the vehicle was dropped. I'm sure that's what most likely happened.

DemonGeminiX
05-31-2011, 05:25 PM
I've never even watched anyone operate a forklift up close and personal so I have no idea.

MrsM
05-31-2011, 05:27 PM
couldn't you just tilt the forks down and let it slide off?

Teh One Who Knocks
05-31-2011, 05:28 PM

That could be too....I didn't think of it that way :doh:

I assumed he drove the forks right through the car and picked it up that way :oops:

fricnjay
05-31-2011, 06:44 PM
Can you not reverse in a way that the forks slide out from underneath the car, allowing it to drop?

:-k

It would really depend on the size of the truck and length of the forks.

If you go 'full down' with the forks, especially with that amount of weight, it will come down fast enough where it feels like the vehicle was dropped. I'm sure that's what most likely happened.

Yea but its not like just dropping it. The hydrolics can move pretty fast but the forks on these things are not all "that fast". At least the trucks I drove were not.

With something that heavy probably not but it would depend on how far down the forks could tilt. Usually it not more than 10 to 15 degrees or something.

Muddy
05-31-2011, 07:02 PM
Yea but its not like just dropping it. The hydrolics can move pretty fast but the forks on these things are not all "that fast". At least the trucks I drove were not.

We had Komatsus and you could drop all the pressure on the lines...

Hal-9000
05-31-2011, 08:47 PM
I drive 4 different lifts and drop shit all the time :lol:

I can also pick up a loonie with the forks (about silver dollar size coin)

Hal-9000
05-31-2011, 08:47 PM
so what's this guy getting charged with? Aggravated warehousing?

PorkChopSandwiches
05-31-2011, 08:48 PM
I pickup tranys in Hollywood

DemonGeminiX
05-31-2011, 08:48 PM
so what's this guy getting charged with? Aggravated warehousing?

LMAO!

:lol:

deebakes
06-01-2011, 02:15 AM
:excellent:

Arkady Renko
06-01-2011, 12:02 PM
officer, it's all a misunderstanding, you see, I was going to change her tyres and pushed the wrong lever on that forklift...