PDA

View Full Version : Seattle boss raises entire company's minimum wage to $70,000

Teh One Who Knocks
04-15-2015, 10:41 AM
FOX News

http://i.imgur.com/7Wsa3Dh.jpg

After hearing about a study that claimed income-- to a certain level-- directly affects one's emotional well-being, the founder of a Seattle-based credit card processing company announced Monday that he will take a large salary cut so he can increase the pay for each employee to at least $70,000 a year.

The New York Times reported that Dan Price, the head of Gravity Payments, told his 120-person staff about the plan after talking to friends about the difficulties of making $40,000 a year.

"As much as I'm a capitalist, there is nothing in the market that is making me do it," he told the paper.

Price said he will cut his nearly $1 million salary to $70,000 and use about 80 percent of the business’ anticipated profit to increase the salary of about 70 employees. About 30 employees, including the lowest-paid clerk, will see their salaries increase to the $70,000 threshold.

The workers reportedly clapped and cheered when he made the announcement at the Seattle office.

"I’m completely blown away right now," Hayley Vogt, 24, who earned $45,000 a year at the company, told the paper. "Everyone is talking about this $15 minimum wage in Seattle and it's nice to work someplace where someone is actually doing something about it and not just talking about it."

perrhaps
04-15-2015, 12:32 PM
Great plan! A supervisor who makes the same as subordinates is stupid for assuming the additional responsibilities.

Pony
04-15-2015, 02:03 PM
I want to go work there. At least until the company goes under.

PorkChopSandwiches
04-15-2015, 03:29 PM
The guys has banked enough money to live for the rest of his life Im sure.

Muddy
04-15-2015, 03:39 PM
Great plan! A supervisor who makes the same as subordinates is stupid for assuming the additional responsibilities.

He's still keeping 20% of the profits at the end of the year.. I think its a pretty cool gesture.. Obviously it's not ideal across the board, but the guys heart seems to be in the right place..