PDA

View Full Version : Percy Sledge Dead: "When a Man Loves a Woman" Singer Dies at 73 After Long Cancer Battle

Teh One Who Knocks
04-15-2015, 11:44 AM
By Rachel McRady - Us Weekly

http://i.imgur.com/1iqOtQA.jpg

Another music great gone too soon. Legendary R&B singer Percy Sledge died on Tuesday, April 14, at age 73 in his Baton Rouge, Louisiana home, his agent confirmed to ABC News. Sledge had been battling cancer for a long time, according to his rep.

He’s best known for his no. 1 1966 hit “When a Man Loves a Woman,” but his music career spans 50 years. His most recent release was 2013’s album The Gospel of Percy Sledge.

Some of his other top singles include, “Warm and Tender Love,” “It Tears Me Up,” “Out of Left Field,” and “Take Time to Know Her.”

In 2005 he was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. “I hummed it all my life, even when I was picking and chopping cotton in the fields,” Sledge said of his classic hit “When a Man Loves a Woman” in his Hall of Fame bio. The song was originally written after a girlfriend left Sledge for another man.

Hal-9000
04-15-2015, 07:03 PM
Great song and great name

thanks Percy :(

Hal-9000
04-15-2015, 07:05 PM
"I hummed it all my life, even when I was picking and chopping cotton in the fields"

:-s