PDA

View Full Version : 'Now My Life Is Much Better': 8-Year-Old Writes Touching Thank-You Letter To Social Workers

Teh One Who Knocks
04-21-2015, 12:11 PM
By Lisa Fogarty - Opposing Views

http://i.imgur.com/APujgwl.jpg

An 8-year-old girl who was abused as a baby wrote a heart-warming letter to social workers and detectives thanking them for saving her and for making it possible for her to have a good life.

Marie Surprenant was a victim of abuse when she was an infant. Her injuries were so serious that she sustained a spinal cord injury that left her unable to walk, reports Yahoo! News. She now suffers from scoliosis and requires rods in her back and surgery every six months.

But her open letter, written for social workers and detectives, paints the picture of a girl who is nothing but grateful for her life: "I couldn't walk because my spinal cord was broken and couldn't be fixed. So they asked how I got hurt in the ER. But he lied and said that I fell out the bed. So then that's when you got involved and solved my case and not letting the bad guy hurting me or anyone else."

She also thanks them for "making me happy by giving me a new warm and safe environment."

Marie was adopted by Michele Surprenant from foster care after she was released from the hospital. Surprenant is a social worker who says Marie wanted to write the letter after she explained to her that many people are afraid of social workers because they think they'll take their babies away. She told her that most are "good people trying to change the world."

Her sweet letter quickly went viral after it was posted on Children's Healthcare of Atlanta blog and became one of their all-time most read posts:

http://i.imgur.com/z8IvtMr.jpg

Despite weighing just 14 pounds when she was brought to the hospital at 8 months old, Marie has reportedly grown into a happy child who is a straight A student at school and dreams of becoming an orthopedic surgeon. She has learned how to swim and attends art and theater camps. She has even been accepted into one of Atlanta's top private schools.

Her biological mother and her boyfriend were arrested after the abuse was uncovered and Suprenant says her daughter rarely mentions the "man who hurt" her.

"You can move on. Anybody can have a tragedy, but you work through it and life can be beautiful," Suprenant said. "She is a happy kid. People assume because she has a physical disability she will be unhappy or maybe she has a hard time making friends. Nothing could be further from the truth."

Goofy
04-21-2015, 12:49 PM
Must be dusty in here *dabs eyes*

deebakes
04-21-2015, 01:01 PM
:clap:

Hal-9000
04-21-2015, 04:49 PM
great penmanship for an 8 yr old and she spelled vacuum correctly :thumbsup:

half of North Americans in their 20's and 30's on Twitter etc can't manage that :lol: