PDA

View Full Version : Students remove 'straight pride' week posters at Ohio college campus; say message goes too far

Teh One Who Knocks
04-29-2015, 10:45 AM
The Associated Press

YOUNGSTOWN, Ohio – Posters promoting a "straight pride" week at a northeast Ohio university have been removed after student leaders said the message went beyond free speech.

Youngstown State University student government leaders tell WKBN-TV they decided to remove the posters after consulting with university officials.

The posters were hung around campus earlier this week. They included profanity and promoted the event as a time to not highlight sexual orientation or differences among students. They encouraged students to "go about your day without telling everyone about how 'different' you are."

A university spokesman tells WFMJ-TV that the posters counter the school's mission of diversity. Officials are investigating possible student code violations.

A statement from the student government said while it respects free speech rights, the posters missed the point of activism.

Teh One Who Knocks
04-29-2015, 10:46 AM
Yet it's perfectly okay putting up posters/signs belittling heterosexuals or white people or men or Christians :|

RBP
04-29-2015, 11:15 AM
The offending poster

http://i.imgur.com/orPxRbA.jpg

DemonGeminiX
04-29-2015, 11:17 AM
Ok, I see their point.

:lol:

RBP
04-29-2015, 11:19 AM
Point / Counterpoint from a comments section.

Dear 'Straight Pride' People:
No, you don't get to have straight pride.

Politicians don't fight to have straight marriage banned. Parents don't kick their children out of their homes because they're straight. Friends don't abandon their friends once they realize they're straight. People are not assaulted or murdered by bigots for being straight. People don't commit suicide because everyone around them treated them like sh*t for being straight. No one ever used a "Straight Panic" defense for murder.

You have nothing to be proud of - nothing. You haven't been discriminated against or insulted for being heterosexual. You haven't struggled to feel normal in a society which tells you that being queer is unnatural. You don't get a straight pride because you don't f%^king need one.

Posted by: Rroberts | Apr 27, 2015 2:12:14 PM

This is ridiculous. Obviously, the "straight pride" folks are trolling for a reaction, but it's still free speech. They aren't promoting violence, as far as I can tell. They're just cluelessly satirizing gay pride. Stupid, but still protected speech. If they sue, they will win. In the meantime, we look like proto-fascists for not ignoring them like we should.

Posted by: Merv | Apr 27, 2015 2:51:46 PM

http://www.towleroad.com/2015/04/vulgar-straight-pride-posters-removed-by-ohio-university-video.html

RBP
04-29-2015, 11:20 AM
Ok, I see their point.

They weren't promoting straight pride, they were making fun of gay pride. I don't care though, still valid speech.

Teh One Who Knocks
04-29-2015, 11:21 AM
Ok, I see their point.

Who's point? The people that were 'offended' by the poster?

deebakes
04-29-2015, 01:06 PM
i thought college students could lighten up sometimes :shrug:

perrhaps
04-29-2015, 02:08 PM
i thought college students could lighten up sometimes :shrug:

Back in the early 1970s, we lit up almost every day.

Hal-9000
04-29-2015, 06:45 PM
You haven't been discriminated against or insulted for being heterosexual

This is my opinion as well for the people trying to promote white or straight pride...until you suffer the prejudices that others have (gays, non whites), there's really nothing to complain about.

RBP
04-29-2015, 10:16 PM
This is my opinion as well for the people trying to promote white or straight pride...until you suffer the prejudices that others have (gays, non whites), there's really nothing to complain about.
Critiques of social movements are completely reasonable. I would say necessary to keep them reasonable.

And when whites, males, heterosexuals, are discriminated against, hell yes they can speak up! White kids denied college admission because of affirmative action, for example is legitimate.

If the heterosexual majority is annoyed by being inundated with over the top pro-gay propaganda, do you think they have no right to say "enough"?

PorkChopSandwiches
04-29-2015, 10:26 PM
#WhitePower

DemonGeminiX
04-30-2015, 12:32 AM
Who's point? The people that were 'offended' by the poster?

There was a better way to say what they wanted to say. If they edited it a bit and took the harshness out of it, the powers that be probably would have let it go and left it up.

It's still funny as hell, though.

allsmiles
04-30-2015, 02:11 AM
There was a better way to say what they wanted to say. If they edited it a bit and took the harshness out of it, the powers that be probably would have let it go and left it up.

Well said. I completely agree.

Teh One Who Knocks
04-30-2015, 10:39 AM

Harsh? :-s

Have you ever seen the material the 'other side' puts up (and it's allowed to stay up) when they are belittling everything they don't like? This poster is nursery school level stuff compared to that :lol:

DemonGeminiX
04-30-2015, 11:09 AM
I've seen the feminist's crap, but not the gay posters. Either way, it's no excuse for the tone and (blanked out) language used in this poster. People should rise above.

Muddy
04-30-2015, 04:26 PM
#WhitePower

:lol: you're fuckin nuts..

Hal-9000
04-30-2015, 05:06 PM
Critiques of social movements are completely reasonable. I would say necessary to keep them reasonable.

And when whites, males, heterosexuals, are discriminated against, hell yes they can speak up! White kids denied college admission because of affirmative action, for example is legitimate.

If the heterosexual majority is annoyed by being inundated with over the top pro-gay propaganda, do you think they have no right to say "enough"?

Like I said, when the white hetero community has suffered the same level of intolerance as gays and non whites, then yes they have every right to complain. The limitations white people are experiencing are recent and limited, when compared to decades of abuse and intolerance that gays and let's say..blacks, have suffered already.

RBP
04-30-2015, 05:09 PM
Like I said, when the white hetero community has suffered the same level of intolerance as gays and non whites, then yes they have every right to complain. The limitations white people are experiencing are recent and limited, when compared to decades of abuse and intolerance that gays and let's say..blacks, have suffered already.
I don't see how one has to do with the other. Just because one group has had more injustice doesn't mean the other group has no standing to speak up.

Hal-9000
04-30-2015, 05:19 PM
I don't see how one has to do with the other. Just because one group has had more injustice doesn't mean the other group has no standing to speak up.

I do. Some groups have been discriminated against for decades, even centuries and are just now achieving what we would call something close to equal rights.

I believe that all groups have a right to speak up against intolerance, but some of these groups are trying to make the comparison that their rights have been trampled to the same extent when it's really not true.

RBP
04-30-2015, 07:09 PM
I do. Some groups have been discriminated against for decades, even centuries and are just now achieving what we would call something close to equal rights.

I believe that all groups have a right to speak up against intolerance, but some of these groups are trying to make the comparison that their rights have been trampled to the same extent when it's really not true.
I didn't take it as a comparison in this case. I took as saying "we're sick of your shit. I don't want your sexuality constantly thrown in my face."

PorkChopSandwiches
04-30-2015, 08:00 PM

We gave them 40 acres and a mule

Hal-9000
04-30-2015, 09:30 PM
http://i.imgur.com/Qh0kyxk.jpg

Hal-9000
04-30-2015, 09:34 PM
I didn't take it as a comparison in this case. I took as saying "we're sick of your shit. I don't want your sexuality constantly thrown in my face."

Yes like others mentioned....it's the tone of the message that's offensive at times. Like this one :lol:

Similar to our conversations on gender equality, it has to apply to everyone equally for discrimination to be eliminated. Whites, blacks, gays, heteros....if the world is denying one of these groups equal rights in life, by all means we should expose it.

My point is one of history...there are/were groups that have suffered a lot more than white heteros. So when the white heteros get all uppity about being denied certain things in life, part of me agrees with your point about blanket discrimination and another, more lizard like part of my primeval brain says - it can be a lot worse, shut up..

DemonGeminiX
04-30-2015, 09:36 PM
We gave them 40 acres and a mule

True story: I met a black guy who owns land in this county that's been passed down to him from all the way back when. He doesn't have the original full 40 acres; parcels of the original 40 had been sold off over the years. It was marsh land and nobody in his family could ever figure out what to do with it, so they kept selling it off to developers.

Oh yeah... the mule died a long time ago too.

Hal-9000
04-30-2015, 09:39 PM
*sings*

Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around :dance:

:-s

:coat: