PDA

View Full Version : Single Mom Loses Her New Job Over A Facebook Post

Teh One Who Knocks
04-30-2015, 11:23 AM
By Amanda Andrade-Rhoades - Opposing Views

http://i.imgur.com/goXhTrZ.jpg

Kaitlyn Walls, a 27-year-old single mother from The Colony, Texas, recently landed a new job at a local day care center, but she never got the chance to clock in.

After she secured the job, she posted on Facebook: “I start my new job today, but I absolutely hate working at day care. Lol, it’s all good, I just really hate being around a lot of kids.” In response, people started posting hateful comments. "I had all these girls attacking me because I don’t want to be around a lot of kids all the time,” Walls told CBSDFW.

Though a lot of the comments have been removed, some people called her a “dumb *****” or said she had “Bubonic plague.”

http://i.imgur.com/OpXAeHA.jpg

Walls was upset by the response. “I actually cried. It really hurt because I wasn’t trying to offend anybody,” she said.

The insults were the least of Walls’ troubles; when the day care operators heard about her Facebook post, she was told not to come into work.

“I really needed it really bad,” she said. “I’m a single mom... trying to get out on my own.”

http://i.imgur.com/jxk7uLL.jpg

Walls said she’s learned her lesson. “I’m not going to post anything like it ever. No matter how I feel.” Walls later wrote on Facebook, “Oh man I made a big mistake. I’m so sad. I feel like a failure here looking at my daughter crying because I’m afraid that I’m not going to be able to find a job because of my own stupidity.”

deebakes
04-30-2015, 01:06 PM
:facepalm:

Muddy
04-30-2015, 04:28 PM
street justice served.

RBP
04-30-2015, 05:07 PM
Meh. Employment contingent on Facebook should give everyone pause.

deebakes
05-01-2015, 01:56 AM
stupidity evidenced by facebook seems sufficient to judge a persons character :shrug:

Muddy
05-01-2015, 02:07 AM
Exactly.. The days of fucking around on the web are quickly fading...

deebakes
05-01-2015, 03:08 AM
:rip: anothersite

Goofy
05-01-2015, 10:05 AM
Exactly.. The days of fucking around on the web are quickly fading...

If my boss saw the things i post here about work i might be unemployed [emoji38]

Pony
05-01-2015, 11:26 AM
I called all the shops in your area but none of them have "Goofy" working there. :-k

DemonGeminiX
05-01-2015, 11:28 AM
Hope you have Vonage, or that phone bill's gonna be huge.

Muddy
05-01-2015, 01:41 PM

To the sensible it does.

Muddy
05-01-2015, 01:44 PM
If my boss saw the things i post here about work i might be unemployed [emoji38]

Yeah, but this is a private forum with avatars..

Muddy
05-01-2015, 01:44 PM
And yes, I have forgotten there is a multi-quote button.. :razz:

Goofy
05-01-2015, 02:03 PM
Yeah, but this is a private forum with avatars..

Yeah, i think the sensible among us know to tone it down on social media [emoji38] Im not on twitter and only occasionally on facebook and never court controversy :)

Hal-9000
05-01-2015, 04:22 PM
a Twitter feed is nothing more than a pinpoint personalized extension of what we do here...what did you last eat, what did you think of the last movie you saw, what did you buy....except on Twitter your personal info is a hell of lot more localized than hal from Canada or Goofy from Scotland...and people would have to know this URL and understand that someone is here posting in the first place. It would take some patient detective work to 'catch' someone here. As in, reading a lot of threads and hoping for a pic or a reference...

I'm not on Twitter but when you follow someone's feed you can almost recreate their day right down to where they ate lunch... if they practice the accepted Twitter habit of attention whoring every little thought that crosses their mind...

Goofy
05-01-2015, 04:59 PM
I've never understood why the likes of Facebook and Twitter got so big........ i far prefer the relative anonymity of forums :)

DemonGeminiX
05-01-2015, 05:03 PM
I'm gonna create a troll Twitter account and tweet the most offensive things that come to mind regarding current events.

FBD
05-01-2015, 08:19 PM
I've never understood why the likes of Facebook and Twitter got so big........ i far prefer the relative anonymity of forums :)

because some rich fucks decided there was a LOT of money to be made in monetizing IPOs - handful of people make out huge, everyone else loses their shirt on the deal.

if the stock market wasnt a house controlled roulette wheel, FB and Tw would never have even HAD an IPO, either of them.

people would have rightly seen that they have nothing to offer in terms of revenue except for a piddling bit of ad addnoyance that nobody clicks on..

its one big circle jerk, but, herd mentality prevails, people see IPOs "make all kinds of money" and want to jump on the "make all kinds of money" bandwagon.

that's why we have this fuggin joke of a lemming market we have.

(well, that, and the entirety of valuation being floated by central bank asset purchases...)

RBP
05-02-2015, 12:01 AM
because some rich fucks decided there was a LOT of money to be made in monetizing IPOs - handful of people make out huge, everyone else loses their shirt on the deal.

if the stock market wasnt a house controlled roulette wheel, FB and Tw would never have even HAD an IPO, either of them.

people would have rightly seen that they have nothing to offer in terms of revenue except for a piddling bit of ad addnoyance that nobody clicks on..

its one big circle jerk, but, herd mentality prevails, people see IPOs "make all kinds of money" and want to jump on the "make all kinds of money" bandwagon.

that's why we have this fuggin joke of a lemming market we have.

(well, that, and the entirety of valuation being floated by central bank asset purchases...)

Facebook is now on a $10 billion dollar annual revenue projection. That hardly seems a "piddling bit of annoyance that nobody clicks on".

PorkChopSandwiches
05-02-2015, 12:25 AM

If your shit is public or you invite your coworkers then it's fair game. I wouldn't want her around my kids

redred
05-02-2015, 07:25 AM
Facebook is now on a $10 billion dollar annual revenue projection. That hardly seems a "piddling bit of annoyance that nobody clicks on".
Don't fight the system RBP

Teh One Who Knocks
05-02-2015, 11:02 AM
If your shit is public or you invite your coworkers then it's fair game. I wouldn't want her around my kids

Exactly, if you are posting this stuff out there under your real name for anyone to see, you have nobody to blame but yourself for the consequences.

RBP
05-02-2015, 12:37 PM
Exactly, if you are posting this stuff out there under your real name for anyone to see, you have nobody to blame but yourself for the consequences.

I don't know. Nobody is entitled to make personal observations? And when we do, there is no need to understand the person's perspective or the context? It's fair to make life decisions for someone else based solely on how the public interprets an internet post?

Take this case. The employer did not ask for an explanation, nor would the internet trolls have accepted it if they had. So where does the line get drawn?

Justine Sacco.
The developer who made the dongle joke. Hell, Adria Richards even (although I have less sympathy there)

Kep private things off the internet I suppose. But that was supposed to be the whole point of sites like Facebook, wasn't it?

FBD
05-02-2015, 12:58 PM

70% of which is stock market roulette wheel gaming, the rest ad revenue from people that dont click on it. I know a lot of people that refuse to do any advertising or anything with them because they fudge the fuggin click counts and use all kinds of ways to run up the bill on what they say you owe them.

and you missed the point on "why they got so big" as it relates to "why they are valued so preposterously high"

Hal-9000
05-02-2015, 04:21 PM
I don't know. Nobody is entitled to make personal observations? And when we do, there is no need to understand the person's perspective or the context? It's fair to make life decisions for someone else based solely on how the public interprets an internet post?

Take this case. The employer did not ask for an explanation, nor would the internet trolls have accepted it if they had. So where does the line get drawn?

Justine Sacco.
The developer who made the dongle joke. Hell, Adria Richards even (although I have less sympathy there)

Kep private things off the internet I suppose. But that was supposed to be the whole point of sites like Facebook, wasn't it?

Look at that Greek girl who made the Twitter post just before the Olympics. It was a joke about West Nile Virus which was prevalent at the time, and the amount of Africans in proximity of the mosquitoes. A true and witty observation.

She was not allowed to compete, without ever being allowed a defense. That stigma may carry over for other future competitions for the rest of her life. (implying she was a racist)

I feel the same way as you about comments being mined from Facebook by employers. You should be allowed an opinion about your job duties or even coworkers if that's the case. As long as you didn't make the post while at work or using work resources.

Teh One Who Knocks
05-02-2015, 11:42 PM

That's exactly my point...and things like Facebook are only as private as you make them. Don't want your boss to read it, then maybe you should restrict access to it. Personal responsibility.

Hal-9000
05-03-2015, 06:19 AM
My nephew was 18 before he realized that being friends with my sister (his Mom) on Facebook meant that she could see all of his communications.

My Mom always knows when I'm partying and gives me shit Uncle hal....

{facebook entry 5 hours earlier with 187 likes} Hey bitchez lets go down to the lake and smoke reefers n have beers...woot! (8:09 pm)

RBP
05-03-2015, 06:22 AM
That's exactly my point...and things like Facebook are only as private as you make them. Don't want your boss to read it, then maybe you should restrict access to it. Personal responsibility.

I just finished "So You've Been Publicly Shamed" by Jon Ronson. The girl who had to go into hiding for a year (after her irreverent joke picture at Arlington got her fired and vilified by the internet) swears that access controlling tick boxes seem to "randomly" change on Facebook.

Hal-9000
05-03-2015, 06:35 AM
I just finished "So You've Been Publicly Shamed" by Jon Ronson. The girl who had to go into hiding for a year (after her irreverent joke picture at Arlington got her fired and vilified by the internet) swears that access controlling tick boxes seem to "randomly" change on Facebook.

Not only would I agree to that, the GUI has changed at least three times since I joined in 2007. And each time privacy concerns either surfaced or were brought up to me by Facebook, asking if I wanted to adjust categories. I was a good test subject because I would log on for 2 weeks daily, then not log on for 6-12 months. I would never change settings, yet they would change during my absences.

Hal-9000
05-03-2015, 06:41 AM
In my early days you could make a group page with any subject, complete with pictures. I saw a page by obvious high schoolers and they were slut-shaming a buddy. Descriptions and a couple of racy pictures. It stayed up for a while...

There used to be a picture app where people could give out a password to friends and you could put nudie pics in it. Pretty progressive for Facebook at the time. They would vet the nudie pics and allow some, while refusing others. I know, because I had the app :lol: Yet in other areas of FB there was zero tolerance for nudity..

Hal-9000
05-03-2015, 06:47 AM
In the thread story, one of two things happened..

Her new employer (the Day Care Center) or a coworker is her friend on Faceboook.

or

The new employer actively searched the employee out on Facebook and read her feed.

RBP
05-03-2015, 07:11 AM
In the thread story, one of two things happened..

Her new employer (the Day Care Center) or a coworker is her friend on Faceboook.

or

The new employer actively searched the employee out on Facebook and read her feed.

So unless I specifically give my employer access to personal records, do they have the right to use them as a term of employment?

deebakes
05-03-2015, 01:55 PM
i think a lot of employers screen public profiles of their employees :shrug:

RBP
05-03-2015, 02:43 PM
i think a lot of employers screen public profiles of their employees :shrug:

I know they do and base decisions on it. It's been a while now, but my original opinion was it was a lazy way to avoid the fact that they have no idea how to evaluate talent.

deebakes
05-03-2015, 03:04 PM
i see the point you are making about it being a lazy way to go about things, but i see the side of the employer saying to themselves, "we brought __ number of people in for this interview. they all basically said the same thing, put their best foot forward. references will give the answers you want to hear, there is not much insight to be gained there. what else can we find out about these people that might make our decision easier?" :idk:

FBD
05-03-2015, 03:45 PM
with how hard it is to fire people, I dont blame 'em. you hire someone and you're damn near stuck with em unless you can find a way to get rid of them without having to pay their unemployment for having fired them.

this reminds me of a friend who used to have a DJ service, and he was on the phone with the center for....retarded people, I dont know what the PC name is for that shit....but he had the deal closed pretty much, and his dog was bothering the shit out of him as he was on the phone, the thing starts jumping up on him, and he yells at the thing, "get off of me, you retard!" with the lady from the retard center right on the phone :lol: (yeah, she changed her mind about hiring him :lol: )

RBP
05-03-2015, 03:49 PM
i see the point you are making about it being a lazy way to go about things, but i see the side of the employer saying to themselves, "we brought __ number of people in for this interview. they all basically said the same thing, put their best foot forward. references will give the answers you want to hear, there is not much insight to be gained there. what else can we find out about these people that might make our decision easier?" :idk:

Exactly - Lazy and no skills in evaluating talent. That's what happens when your HR people are paper pushing party planners.

FBD
05-03-2015, 03:51 PM
and that would make them different from other HR people how? :lol:

RBP
05-03-2015, 04:02 PM
and that would make them different from other HR people how? :lol:

I met some good ones when I was in that line of work, people that got it and had a seat at the table, but disliked most of them.

FBD
05-03-2015, 04:28 PM
sorry, I just understand the root function of HR, and its not "to help employees"....HR exists to protect the business from its employees...

RBP
05-03-2015, 04:38 PM
sorry, I just understand the root function of HR, and its not "to help employees"....HR exists to protect the business from its employees...

I don't agree with that. I held managers accountable to do their jobs regarding people. That serves both masters.

I also was no nonsense with employees. I was always amazed at how many managers were incapable to discussing performance plans, disciplinary issues, terminations, and positive drug test results.

FBD
05-03-2015, 05:07 PM
the best operations are always the ones that appear to serve a beneficial function (and in many cases, actually serve a beneficial function) but retains that underlying true motive.

I have no doubt dogbert feels he's fulfilling a proper and necessary role :)