PDA

View Full Version : Man Publicly Shames Asshole Cousin Who Left "Find Sour Cream" as a Tip

Teh One Who Knocks
04-30-2015, 11:32 AM
Jay Hathaway - Gawker

http://i.imgur.com/XH2K0Kx.jpg

It’s often said that you can’t pick your family, and the 2015 corollary is “and you can’t pick the insane bullshit they post on Facebook.” Like your idiot cousin’s receipt for $71 from Joe’s Crab Shack with the hilarious joke “find sour cream” scrawled in the tip line.

That is unfortunately not a hypothetical example. Last week, Oklahoma City resident Dustin Clark caught his cousin Jon bragging that he and his wife had stiffed a waitress because the restaurant was out of their favorite condiment. This was apparently such a proud achievement that it warranted posting a photo of the receipt.

When Dustin confronted Jon to ask why he had acted like such a dick, he found out there was a perfectly reasonable explanation. Just kidding! It was, “They had sour cream last time we ate there.”

Nice, nice. By the way, Oklahoma is a tipped minimum wage state, so their server was being paid $2.13 an hour to put up with their shit.

Dustin decided to teach his cousin a lesson with a good-old fashioned public shaming, posting the receipt on the Joe’s Crab Shack Facebook page and apologizing to the waitress for his family’s disgraceful behavior. He announced he would stop by the restaurant to leave her the appropriate tip, plus a little extra for her trouble, and encouraged anyone reading to do the same.

In a later comment, he reported he’d followed through:

Just left joes crabshack and got to meet Samantha (the waitress) and was able to give her a nice card and her $20 well deserved tip. And she seemed like the nicest person in the world, like one of those super nice waitresses that are nice,bubbly and energetic and makes sure everything is perfect, idk how anyone could have been so rude to her. She remembered her interaction with the rude people , and was very thankful and appreciative of the tip that we gave her. Since it was dinner rush and she had a few tables we didn’t stay very long. I think we made her day.

The story has since made the local news and gone viral in OKC, so the couple of shitty tippers can be considered duly shamed.

Goofy
04-30-2015, 11:37 AM
Good guy Dustin :tup: I still find the tipping thing ridiculous over there though, waiters/waitresses should be well paid by their bosses instead of having to rely on customer handouts........

deebakes
04-30-2015, 01:05 PM
:fbd:

Teh One Who Knocks
04-30-2015, 01:07 PM
Good guy Dustin :tup: I still find the tipping thing ridiculous over there though, waiters/waitresses should be well paid by their bosses instead of having to rely on customer handouts........

I personally like tipping, it's about the only way to give the servers any incentive to be good at their jobs. The better you are, more often than not, the better your tips. For good service I always tip more the the 15-20% which is loosely considered the industry 'standard'.

Goofy
04-30-2015, 01:42 PM
I personally like tipping, it's about the only way to give the servers any incentive to be good at their jobs. The better you are, more often than not, the better your tips. For good service I always tip more the the 15-20% which is loosely considered the industry 'standard'.

Thats fair enough mate and i can see your point....... but not everyone is like you. What happens when you serve nothing but assholes in a day and get zero tips no matter how good a job you do? Its not far off slave labour imho.

Teh One Who Knocks
04-30-2015, 02:01 PM
Thats fair enough mate and i can see your point....... but not everyone is like you. What happens when you serve nothing but assholes in a day and get zero tips no matter how good a job you do? Its not far off slave labour imho.

Regardless of stories like this, most people are decent tippers and a good share of them tip at least 20% for good service. Sure, there are the people like in the above story, but they are the exception rather than the rule. A good server in this country can make pretty decent money if they try.

Goofy
04-30-2015, 02:03 PM
Fair enough :)

PorkChopSandwiches
04-30-2015, 04:11 PM
My daughter was so happy with our waitress last night, she requested I tip her more. Which we did, best waitress I have had in a BJ's

Hal-9000
04-30-2015, 05:51 PM

I agree...we've had this argument before and I don't believe anyone should feel indebted to tip because the waitress's wage is so low. It's their function to bring you the right food in a timely and polite manner...they shouldn't be rewarded for following the baseline of their job description.

and yes I tip and usually heavily...but I have also not tipped because of crappy or belligerent service...

Used to go to this bar where the waitresses ran a scam. They would serve you for about an hour, then claim they were getting off their shift and could we settle the bill? Meaning pay up and tip her, then another waitress takes over.

We discovered they would go to a section upstairs and serve there, where we couldn't see them from our section. So the last time I went there the waitress tried the scam, I paid her the exact amount for our drinks and she snarled her lip and said - No tip?? Really???

and I responded - Oh hell yeah, here's a tip. If it's raining out tonight wear some rubber boots on the way home :tup:

MrsM
04-30-2015, 06:32 PM
I agree...we've had this argument before and I don't believe anyone should feel indebted to tip because the waitress's wage is so low. It's their function to bring you the right food in a timely and polite manner...they shouldn't be rewarded for following the baseline of their job description.

and yes I tip and usually heavily...but I have also not tipped because of crappy or belligerent service...

Used to go to this bar where the waitresses ran a scam. They would serve you for about an hour, then claim they were getting off their shift and could we settle the bill? Meaning pay up and tip her, then another waitress takes over.

We discovered they would go to a section upstairs and serve there, where we couldn't see them from our section. So the last time I went there the waitress tried the scam, I paid her the exact amount for our drinks and she snarled her lip and said - No tip?? Really???

and I responded - Oh hell yeah, here's a tip. If it's raining out tonight wear some rubber boots on the way home :tup:

How is that a scam?

say your first round costs $10 - she wants to settle up you give her $12 ($2 tip) and she goes off to another section. She gets the tip for the service she provided which was to bring you the first round...

New staff comes and takes your orders for the second round... again this is $10 and when you leave you give her $12 (again $2 tip).

if the first waitress did not settle up before she left (either for the day or to move to another section) you would have a $20 bill - that you would probably have tipped $4 on ...

The difference is that each staff member received the tip for the service they provided versus the second person getting all the tip.

Am i missing something?

PorkChopSandwiches
04-30-2015, 06:36 PM
You're missing Hal is a cheap fuck and likes to stiff service people on their tips :twisted:

MrsM
04-30-2015, 06:39 PM
You're missing Hal is a cheap fuck and likes to stiff service people on their tips :twisted:

Ah - right ... missed that :)

Hal-9000
04-30-2015, 06:43 PM
How is that a scam?

say your first round costs $10 - she wants to settle up you give her $12 ($2 tip) and she goes off to another section. She gets the tip for the service she provided which was to bring you the first round...

New staff comes and takes your orders for the second round... again this is $10 and when you leave you give her $12 (again $2 tip).

if the first waitress did not settle up before she left (either for the day or to move to another section) you would have a $20 bill - that you would probably have tipped $4 on ...

The difference is that each staff member received the tip for the service they provided versus the second person getting all the tip.

Am i missing something?

Yes you are...it was a method to gain multiple tips from drunk customers under the premise that the waitress was leaving the premises for the night.

I understand the math angle you're speaking about, but people rarely tip the exact correct amount on each bill, especially when drinking. (4 dollars on a 20 dollar tab is the same as 12 dollars on a 60 dollar tab, quite true..) ...but it rarely worked out that way when dealing with multiple servers over the course of the night.

It would be different if they were actually going off shift rather than hiding and working in another part of the bar.

Hal-9000
04-30-2015, 06:46 PM

[-( I tip well and often for good service...but they don't automatically get 20% because they feel that's what I should pay....a tip is a gratuity for exemplary service, not my responsibility to supplement their crappy base wage. That's their employer's responsibility :thumbsup:

Hal-9000
04-30-2015, 06:46 PM
Ah - right ... missed that :)

here, miss this :beatdown:

Goofy
04-30-2015, 06:48 PM
[-( I tip well and often for good service...but they don't automatically get 20% because they feel that's what I should pay....a tip is a gratuity for exemplary service, not my responsibility to supplement their crappy base wage. That's their employer's responsibility :thumbsup:

:agreed:

Damn Yanks and their tipping [-( Glad to see you Canadians are tight arsed bastards like us Scotsmen :tup:

jk :lol:

PorkChopSandwiches
04-30-2015, 06:53 PM

Well here we know that they make their living off tips, it is the fact of the matter. So knowing that, if you dont feel you should tip, then you shouldnt use the service IMO.

I agree 20% isnt mandatory, if the service is shitty, I will tip less for sure, I never tip nothing because I dont think that gets the message across like a 5% tip does :Lol:

Hal-9000
04-30-2015, 07:05 PM
question - do you tip at the drive through?

Why not? You're ordering food and it's up to them to bring you what you ordered, while it's hot..and they do it in about 1/16th of the time compared to sitting in a restaurant.

Hamburger is 5 bucks, drink is 2 bucks and fries or salad is 3 bucks. You'd never think of tipping because the cost overhead is already built into the price of the menu items. Moreso for the food items in a sit down restaurant.

But hal, a drive through and a sit down restaurant are different!!!

Really? You're paying for someone else to cook your meal and bring it to you (winky, know it all smiley)

Hal-9000
04-30-2015, 07:07 PM
:agreed:

Damn Yanks and their tipping [-( Glad to see you Canadians are tight arsed bastards like us Scotsmen :tup:

jk :lol:

I've never made 50 or 80 or 100 k per year....I have always had to be careful with my money and that applies to tipping...and the places I choose to eat.

I'm not really as tight as I make out here....I've certainly never embarrassed anyone when I go out to eat :lol:

Hal-9000
04-30-2015, 07:11 PM
Well here we know that they make their living off tips, it is the fact of the matter. So knowing that, if you dont feel you should tip, then you shouldnt use the service IMO.

I agree 20% isnt mandatory, if the service is shitty, I will tip less for sure, I never tip nothing because I dont think that gets the message across like a 5% tip does :Lol:

When I was growing up, gratuities were more of a choice in a lot of situations. There was an unwritten rule that you should tip at a restaurant, but it was never enforced like it is now.

15% or less if the service or person was crap...

We were all in Banff having dinner at a spendy place...Asian waiter looked at us because of the way we were dressed and treated us like shit. Until we ordered 100 bucks worth of booze and over that in food. Near the end of the meal he was a different man, treating us with respect and dignity.

We college tipped him (handfuls of spare change) on a 280 dollar bill, 5 guys :lol:

PorkChopSandwiches
04-30-2015, 08:08 PM
question - do you tip at the drive through?

Why not? You're ordering food and it's up to them to bring you what you ordered, while it's hot..and they do it in about 1/16th of the time compared to sitting in a restaurant.

Hamburger is 5 bucks, drink is 2 bucks and fries or salad is 3 bucks. You'd never think of tipping because the cost overhead is already built into the price of the menu items. Moreso for the food items in a sit down restaurant.

But hal, a drive through and a sit down restaurant are different!!!

Really? You're paying for someone else to cook your meal and bring it to you (winky, know it all smiley)

Fast Food workers make minimum wage, waters and waitresses out here do not. They only have to be paid $2.13 per hour, because they are calculating into their wage......wait for it...... TIPS!!! :lol:

Goofy
04-30-2015, 09:25 PM
Fast Food workers make minimum wage, waters and waitresses out here do not. They only have to be paid $2.13 per hour, because they are calculating into their wage......wait for it...... TIPS!!! :lol:

Restaurants must make a fucking fortune over there!

Hal-9000
04-30-2015, 09:27 PM

sorry, I had to leave and get an oil change done on my car....and I didn't tip the mechanic!! :dance:

Yes I understand what you're saying....and again, I can't help anyone who applies for a job that pays 2.13/hr...no one makes them do that anymore than I could complain about earning a low warehouse wage for the majority of my life....that was my path that I chose...

:-k there's some sort of lesson in there, I'm sure of it..

Hal-9000
04-30-2015, 09:28 PM
Restaurants must make a fucking fortune over there!

no shit eh? considering there's about a 400% markup on the food...coupled with slave wages the owners must make a mint