PDA

View Full Version : Freddie Gray's death ruled a homicide; officers charged

Teh One Who Knocks
05-01-2015, 03:23 PM
By Michael Walsh - Yahoo! News

Baltimore's State's Attorney Marilyn Mosby announced Friday morning that several officers involved in the death of Freddie Gray will face homicide charges.

“To the people of Baltimore and the demonstrators across America, I heard your call for ‘no justice, no peace.’ Your peace is sincerely needed as I work to deliver justice on behalf of this young man,” she said.

Six Baltimore police officers have been criminally charged.

Officer Caesar Goodson, Officer William Porter, Lt. Brian Rice, Officer Edward Nero, Officer Garrett Miller and Sgt. Alicia White all face several charges, including second-degree murder, manslaughter, misconduct in office and false imprisonment.

“I hope that as we move forward with this case, everyone will respect due process and refrain from doing anything that will jeopardize out ability to seek justice,” she said.

Mosby emphasized that the allegations against the officers involved in Gray’s arrest are not an indictment against the entire police department.

She shared that both of her parents, several of her aunts and uncles and her late grandfather were all police officers.

Though what Mosby revealed is now a matter of public record, much of the evidence will be withheld to ensure a “fair and impartial process for all parties involved.”

As the public waits for more information, details from the investigation have slowly begun trickling out.

According to multiple reports, the medical examiner found that the 25-year-old man’s head struck a bolt that jutted out in the back of the police van.

A law enforcement official told the Washington Post that this was not Gray’s only injury, and that his wounds were consistent with those generally seen in car crashes.

Multiple police sources told WJLA that the head wound corresponds with a bolt in the back of the vehicle, and that the impact broke Gray’s neck.

It was not immediately clear what caused the blow while he was in custody, according to the sources.

The investigation did not uncover evidence connecting the videotaped portion of his arrest — which helped to spur protest and riots in the streets of Baltimore — with the young man’s death, according to the local ABC affiliate.

Police Commissioner Anthony Batts said at a news conference Thursday that the results were turned over to State’s Attorney Marilyn Mosby one day before a deadline he established.

“I set a date to get this done,” he said. “I was communicating clearly; I wanted a sense of urgency on this case to get the results out there. We dedicated 30 detectives, their full-time job was focused on this case and only this case.”

Based on these findings, the state’s attorney’s office is to determine whether any of the officers will be indicted for crimes in Gray’s death.

Mosby, in turn, issued a statement entreating the public to “remain patient and peaceful and to trust the process of the justice system.”

But many protesters are upset that police still have not shared their findings with the public nearly two weeks after Gray’s death — especially amid claims by his family’s lawyer, Billy Murphy, that his spine had been “80 percent severed.”

The officers picked up a prisoner on April 12 during the roughly 40-minute drive to the police station; Gray was unresponsive upon arrival.

The Washington Post reported that the prisoner, who could not see Gray because they were separated by a metal partition, thought that the young man “was intentionally trying to injure himself” by “banging against the walls."

The D.C. paper found this account in an application for a search warrant that had been sealed by the court. Authorities were reportedly seeking the uniform one of the arresting officers wore the day of Gray’s arrest.

But Donta Allen, who identified himself as the man in the van with Gray, told WJZ-TV that the report is inaccurate and that he just heard “a little banging.”

“And they trying to make it seem like I told them that, I made it like Freddie Gray did that to hisself (sic),” Allen said to the station. “Why the f--- would he do that to hisself (sic)?”

Police revealed that the van made a stop on the way to the station that was not appropriately logged. Gray died in a hospital one week later.

A report from the Carroll County, Md., Sheriff’s Office, obtained by The Associated Press, indicates that one of the officers suspended following Gray’s death has had his mental stability called into question.

Lt. Brian Rice, the officer who initially pursued Gray, had been hospitalized in April 2012 over mental health concerns; at the time, he reportedly said he “could not continue to go on like this” and threatened to commit an act that was censored from the public version of the report.

Batts emphasized that the task force heeded his call and has exhausted every lead at this point in time, but that does not mean their investigation is over.

“The family and the community and the public deserve transparency and truth,” he said.

Hal-9000
05-01-2015, 05:29 PM
" Your peace is sincerely needed as I work to deliver justice on behalf of this young man,” she said.

good luck with that :|

DemonGeminiX
05-01-2015, 05:34 PM
To the people of Baltimore and the demonstrators across America, I heard your call for ‘no justice, no peace.’

:-k

So you're handing down indictments based solely on public opinion?

Goofy
05-01-2015, 05:39 PM
:-k

So you're handing down indictments based solely on public opinion?

Yeah, that line drew my attention right away........ makes it sound like the murder charges are only being brought to stop the riots/looting :|

Hal-9000
05-01-2015, 05:42 PM
So the medical examiner finds that he died because of his head coming in contact with a bolt in the back of the van..

There were reports of the prisoner banging his head in the back of the van..

Donta Allen, who was in the van says the report is inaccurate and there was 'just a little banging'..

And one of the officers pursuing Gray had mental health issues and threatened to commit an act that's been censored...

Holy crap, this trial will be OJ-like in scope and polarization for the public..

FBD
05-01-2015, 07:51 PM
I have no doubts the longtime coke dealer ran his mouth

but that still does not give police the green light to kill motherfuckers, bottom line

deebakes
05-01-2015, 10:42 PM
:rip:

RBP
05-02-2015, 01:15 PM
Milwaukee County Sheriff David Clarke (D) declared the charges brought against six police officers in the death of Freddie Gray “George Zimmerman and the Duke Lacrosse case all over again” and said “these cops are political prisoners,” offered up as human sacrifices, thrown like red meat to an angry mob” on Friday’s “Your World with Neil Cavuto” on the Fox News Channel.

Clarke said of the charges, “it’s a miscarriage of justice. This neophyte prosecutor stood up there and made a political statement, Neil, and I say that because she’s chanting or voicing some of the chants from this angry mob. Her job is to tune that out. She said, I hear the voices. She’s not supposed to hear anything as she reviews this case that is not consistent with the rule of law and our system of justice. Look, I’m an experienced and a veteran homicide detective. I’ve had — I’ve participated in charging conferences. There is no way I have ever gotten a criminal charge within 24 hours after taking over all the reports and evidence to a prosecutor. A prosecutor who is thorough needs several days to sift through hundreds of pages of reports. They usually want to interview some of the witnesses themselves, in person, and they have to sift through all of the evidence, piece by piece, and they have to wait for some of the forensics evidence to conclude, to come back and that’s why I say on a minimum, three to four days. She just got this case yesterday. This is political activism. She’ll never prove this beyond a reasonable doubt, and I’m not going to silently stand by and watch my brother officers, offered up as human sacrifices, thrown like red meat to an angry mob, just to appease this angry mob.” And that “she rushed this thing through.”

After his interview was cut off to carry a Fraternal Order of Police press conference live, he continued, “she knows she’s not going to be able to prove these charges beyond a reasonable doubt. This is George Zimmerman and the Duke Lacrosse case all over again. A politically active district attorney or state’s attorney, you can tell the emotion in her voice, she almost did this with glee. And that’s why I believe, like they [the FOP] do…she needs to remove herself from the case. I hope the state’s attorney general gets involved in this, and sees the error of her ways. The smart thing for her to do is recuse herself and name a special prosecutor.”

He added that “there may be and probably are, some civil torts here, but what little I know, and I don’t know all the facts, but I’m listening to the emotion in their voice, and listening to those political statements that she made at the end of that news conference, that’s political activism, it’s wrong, it’s probably in violation of her code of ethics as a lawyer. And again, I’m going to take my time with this, but I’m not going to sit idly by, and I want to call out to every law enforcement officer in the country to pay attention to this. Because, I see a pattern, at least demands from an angry mob, that we be offered up as human sacrifices. We don’t do that in our system of justice in the United States just to please an angry mob. And I sense from what I heard her say, Neil, that that’s what is going on here.”

Clarke concluded, “there are some things I find in this case — what little I know — that are problematic from a procedural standpoint, but Neil, it doesn’t make it criminal. These cops are political prisoners. I’m calling them political prisoners because this state’s attorney, stood up there and made a political statement at the end, talking about she hears the voices, and no justice and no peace.”

Video: http://launch.newsinc.com/share.html?trackingGroup=91074&siteSection=breitbartprivate&videoId=29003344

I know, it's Breitbart, but it's a video transcript. :lol:

FBD
05-02-2015, 01:31 PM
Asshole, if she's not going to be able to prove them beyond a reasonable doubt, then that necessarily means they walk, but not until after that portion of the show.