PDA

View Full Version : MP3 compression software and ideas

RBP
05-07-2015, 12:07 AM
I was given an audiobook from Audible.com. I was amazed that it was on just 1 CD verses the book thickness multiple CD sets that are normally sold.

I downloaded an audiobook of a similar length from a different seller and had to burn 7 CDs for the book. :|

So what gives? I assume that Amazon through Audible uses some sort of effective mp3 compression to fit the entire book on one CD.

I want to find a way to do this. But it needs to still be playable in the car for my commute.

Anyone have any ideas?

RBP
05-07-2015, 01:29 AM
reading more, i think the audible products are not mp3 but still playable in a car. :-k

RBP
05-07-2015, 01:35 AM
Something to do with bit rate conversions. :-k

RBP
05-07-2015, 01:40 AM
The book I have is 96k bitrate, so not much room to go lower. Each file is only 7+MB but I can only burn 7 tracks per CD? :-k

DemonGeminiX
05-07-2015, 02:50 PM
Apologies if I insult your intelligence here. If I recall correctly, a CD-R/RW is limited by the amount of data it can hold (700MB), or by the length of the audio files (all files in total can't be longer than 80 minutes, but most burning software will cry if you go above 74 minutes, and it used to be that you would get some errors in playback if you went above 74 minutes... at least that was my experience back when I was burning CD comps for my old car stereo. Things might be improved today). If you burn as a playable cd (CD-DA), you're gonna be limited by time length, 74 minutes. The playable cd will go track by track, just like you're playing a music cd. The data cd will be file-oriented like your hard drive, and it'll be the size limit you have to worry about.

You're more than likely being limited by the time constraint. At least, that's what it sounds like to me.

RBP
05-07-2015, 03:07 PM
No insult at all. I have considered that, but that seems defied by the original point which was Audible gets an entire book on 1 CD.

I found a work around this morning. The car has a USB port and I found a way to make it play with the entire book on a flash drive.

Teh One Who Knocks
05-07-2015, 03:15 PM
Anyone have any ideas?

Get the print version and pay someone to ride with you and read it to you while you're driving? :-k

DemonGeminiX
05-07-2015, 03:26 PM
Hahahahaha.... :lol:

PorkChopSandwiches
05-07-2015, 03:51 PM
If you are burning CD's to play in a car that doesnt support MP3 then the file will be converted to Audio format, and that is bigger

FBD
05-07-2015, 04:38 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joliet_%28file_system%29

RBP
05-07-2015, 05:07 PM
Get the print version and pay someone to ride with you and read it to you while you're driving? :-k
You're such a dick. :rofl:

redred
05-07-2015, 08:14 PM

:lol: i would offer but reading storys of RBP's home town I'll pass

Teh One Who Knocks
05-08-2015, 10:35 AM
Hahahahaha.... :lol:

You're such a dick. :rofl:

:dance:

:lol: i would offer but reading storys of RBP's home town I'll pass

Come on, take a walk on the wild side :tup:

Goofy
05-08-2015, 10:48 AM
No insult at all. I have considered that, but that seems defied by the original point which was Audible gets an entire book on 1 CD.

I found a work around this morning. The car has a USB port and I found a way to make it play with the entire book on a flash drive.

If you are burning CD's to play in a car that doesnt support MP3 then the file will be converted to Audio format, and that is bigger

Yeah, my old car stereo could play mp3 cds, you could literally have hundreds of tracks on one cd, channces are thats the format of the audible one :)

RBP
05-08-2015, 11:07 AM

:confused: How would Windows media Player know where I intend to use the CD?

RBP
05-08-2015, 11:11 AM

Yeah, my old car stereo could play mp3 cds, you could literally have hundreds of tracks on one cd, channces are thats the format of the audible one :)

Wait, so are you guys are saying that the issue is burning an "audio" CD versus a "data" CD? WMP is automatically burning an audio CD, so I need a different burning option that burns a data CD and it should play?

The flash drive works, so the data CD should work also?

FBD
05-08-2015, 11:48 AM
If its new enough to have a USB port, its more than likely new enough to play data audio CDs :tup:

Goofy
05-08-2015, 12:23 PM
Wait, so are you guys are saying that the issue is burning an "audio" CD versus a "data" CD? WMP is automatically burning an audio CD, so I need a different burning option that burns a data CD and it should play?

Yeah, thats likely the case mate......... ill have a look when i get home from work but im sure you can do it with WMP [emoji106]

Goofy
05-08-2015, 12:44 PM
http://mp3.about.com/od/Windows-Media-Player-CDs-DVDs/qt/How-To-Create-An-Mp3-Cd-In-Windows-Media-Player-11.htm

PorkChopSandwiches
05-08-2015, 02:57 PM

That's exactly what I'm saying :tup:

RBP
05-08-2015, 03:24 PM
Thanks guys!

PorkChopSandwiches
05-08-2015, 07:11 PM
Yeah, thats likely the case mate......... ill have a look when i get home from work but im sure you can do it with WMP [emoji106]

You can

Hal-9000
05-11-2015, 05:09 PM

Gawd this is so old school even I could have helped with it :lol:

:thumbsup: old school data CD was 700mb like everyone knows, and most burning programs would have an audio burn setting for cd's that would compress and allow more to be put on them...ie a whole bunch of songs to play in your car or home stereo

Hal-9000
05-11-2015, 05:11 PM

this :thumbsup:

made some sort of audio file that only could be read by the car stereo and that made the file size much bigger