PDA

View Full Version : British voters go to polls as tight election battle reaches its end

Teh One Who Knocks
05-07-2015, 11:01 AM
FOX News and The Associated Press

http://i.imgur.com/9nF4egI.jpg

Polls opened across the United Kingdom Thursday as British voters were due to make their choice in an election that is likely to be the closest in decades -- and is unlikely to produce a clear winner.

Prime Minister David Cameron's Conservatives and Ed Miliband's Labour Party are running neck and neck, with most opinion polls showing the parties tied or separated by one or two percentage points. That means neither party is likely to win a majority of Parliament's 650 seats.

That in turn could set up days or even weeks of backroom dealing before a coalition government is crafted. The incumbent Cameron has experience of that. When the dust settled from the last election in 2010, the Conservatives sat 20 seats short of an outright majority. However, within five days, Cameron had brokered a deal with the centrist Liberal Democrats, led by current Deputy Prime Minister Nick Clegg.

Much has changed in five years. Both the Conservatives and Liberal Democrats are projected to lose seats, though just how many is unclear. The past year-and-a-half has also seen the rise of the anti-immigration, anti-European Union United Kingdom Independence Party (UKIP), which currently sits third in opinion polls, though Britain's electoral system means it can win at most a handful of seats. However, those seats will likely come by stealing Conservative voters.

Miliband's Labourites have not had it all their own way, either. Last fall's Scottish independence referendum, which ended in defeat for the separatists, has nonetheless resulted in increased power for the Scottish National Party (SNP), led by Nicola Sturgeon. Some pre-election polls have projected a near-total wipeout for Labour in its traditional stronghold north of the border, with the Daily Record newspaper projecting that the SNP could end up with 52 seats in Parliament. That's an increase of 46 seats over 2010, 34 of which would be taken from Labour Members of Parliament.

If the SNP end up as the third or fourth-largest party in Parliament after this election, that would put pressure on Miliband to agree to a coalition government with Sturgeon in order to become Prime Minister. Miliband has said that such a deal is off the table, but Conservatives have warned that a Labour premiership would inevitably resulted in the Scottish nationalists having undue influence over British politics.

Outside of the ballot box intrigue, three issues have come to dominate the election: the economy, the National Health Service (NHS), and immigration.

On the economy, Cameron has focused on headline numbers after five years of budget cuts designed to shrink the deficit and bolster growth. Inflation is down, employment is up and the economy is growing at one of the fastest rates among large industrialized nations.

The Conservatives argue they need time to cement the gains and ensure the benefits trickle down to everyone and have promised no new income or value-added taxes.

Miliband has argued the topline figures don't tell the whole story. Real wages are below pre-recession levels, employment figures have been inflated by low-skill jobs, and rising numbers of people are turning to food banks to make ends meet. Miliband has focused the debate on inequality, saying the recovery hasn't reached working families and promising to increase taxes on the wealthiest members of society.

Both leaders have spent much of the campaign making promises to save the state-funded NHS, which has struggled with spiraling costs. Miliband has promised to recruit 8,000 more doctors and 20,000 more nurses, paying the bill with a tax on properties worth more than 2 million pounds ($3 million).

The Conservatives have promised to increase spending by at least 8 billion pounds by 2020 and cut down on so-called health tourism, in which migrants travel to the U.K. for medical care paid for by British taxpayers.

Thousands of migrants from the European Union have been attracted by Britain's improving economy, particularly those from the former eastern bloc countries that have recently joined the 28-nation free-trade zone.

The influx is changing Britain and straining schools, hospitals and other public services. UKIP has capitalized on the outrage of unhappy Britons by promising to leave the European Union, "take back control of our borders" and restrict immigration to skilled workers needed by the British economy.

Labour plans to ban recruitment agencies from hiring only from overseas and crack down on employers that abuse workers. The Conservatives say they will reduce migration from other EU states by making it harder for recent immigrants to claim benefits. The party says it has an "ambition" to reduce annual net migration to less than 100,000 from almost 300,000 in the 12 months through September, though it may be necessary to water down those targets in order to forge a second coalition with their most likely partners, the Liberal Democrats.

beowulf
05-07-2015, 11:22 AM
http://i57.tinypic.com/14y3afs.jpg

be glad when its all over, all a bunch of selfserving wankers that dont really give a shit about 'the people'

FBD
05-07-2015, 03:31 PM
yeah here's the outcome, its fuggin rigged just like every other bankster managed election and the right result will be displayed no matter how wrong it is. just like scotland's election, just like obama's selection and reselection

redred
05-07-2015, 04:29 PM
yeah here's the outcome, its fuggin rigged

:fbd: :tinfoil: do you ever give up ? :lol:

FBD
05-07-2015, 04:34 PM
:lol: so you believe that was a true result? :haha:

redred
05-07-2015, 05:49 PM
:tinfoil: yes i'm fine with the results

Lambchop
05-07-2015, 05:50 PM
I'm hoping the conservatives lose but it isn't looking good.

FBD
05-07-2015, 06:03 PM
:tinfoil: yes i'm fine with the results

I know..."the news reported it, so it must be true"...

redred
05-07-2015, 06:46 PM
[emoji38] rigged or not the results is what I'm fine with

Hugh_Janus
05-07-2015, 09:46 PM
I didn't register in time :facepalm:

Goofy
05-07-2015, 10:05 PM
Nothing but a bunch of lying bastards to vote for so i didnt bother wasting my time....... 1st time i havent voted and i dont think ill bother ever again tbh unless an actual real person stands (when i say real, i mean someone who got their hands dirty in the real world prior to being a politician).

Teh One Who Knocks
05-08-2015, 10:42 AM
Nothing but a bunch of lying bastards to vote for so i didnt bother wasting my time....... 1st time i havent voted and i dont think ill bother ever again tbh unless an actual real person stands (when i say real, i mean someone who got their hands dirty in the real world prior to being a politician).

:hater:

Goofy
05-08-2015, 10:44 AM
:hater:

:yep:

Teh One Who Knocks
05-08-2015, 10:46 AM
You do know that politics isn't for the common man anymore? Too expensive for the average person to run for any national type office and you need to be connected. All you can do is go out and vote for the lesser of the evils that are running. Because even though almost all politicians are twats, there are some that are way worse than others.

Teh One Who Knocks
05-08-2015, 10:51 AM
FOX News and The Associated Press

David Cameron was all but certain of remaining Britain's Prime Minister early Friday after a revised exit poll predicted his Conservative party would secure a narrow majority in Britain's 650-member House of Commons.

Shortly after 11 a.m. Friday London time, a revised projection released by the BBC predicted that the Conservative, or Tory party to win 331 seats in the next Parliament. The opposition Labour Party slumped to a projected 232 seats, while the Scottish National Party, which advocates Scottish independence from the United Kingdom won a projected 56 seats, 50 more than it garnered at the last election in 2010.

Cameron's office said that the Prime Minister would go to Buckingham Palace later Friday to inform Queen Elizabeth II that he had enough support to form a government.

Earlier Friday, Cameron described the election as "clearly a very strong night for the Conservative Party" at his constituency in Oxfordshire, northwest of London after being easily re-elected.

The Prime Minister also vowed to counter the rise of Scottish nationalism with more powers for Scotland and Wales, saying "I want my party, and I hope a government that I would like to lead, to reclaim a mantle that we should never have lost -- the mantle of one nation, one United Kingdom."

The rise of the SNP was in many ways the main story of the evening, as an election once billed as the tightest in decades turned into a rout for Labour with the help of a seismic shift in its longtime bulwark north of the border. Of the 50 seats the SNP gained Thursday, 40 would have come at the expense of Labour members, including some of the party's senior politicians.

"What we're seeing tonight is Scotland voting to put its trust in the SNP to make Scotland's voice heard, a clear voice for an end to austerity, better public services and more progressive politics at Westminster," party leader Nicola Sturgeon told the BBC.

"The Scottish lion has roared this morning across the country," said former SNP leader Alex Salmond, who was elected in the seat of Gordon.

Scottish Labour leader Jim Murphy insisted he would not resign despite losing his seat but Labour leader Ed Miliband's grip seemed more tenuous, as the party failed to make predicted gains against the Conservatives across the rest of Britain.

"This has clearly been a very disappointing and difficult night for the Labour Party," said Miliband. "In Scotland we have seen a surge of nationalism overcome our party."

Cameron's coalition partner, the Liberal Democrat party, also faced an electoral disaster, predicted to lose most of its seats as punishment for supporting a Conservative agenda since 2010.

"It is now painfully clear that this has been a cruel and punishing night for the Liberal Democrats," said leader Nick Clegg, who held onto his own seat. He said he would discuss his future with colleagues later Friday.

Almost 50 million people were registered to vote in Thursday's election, one of the most unpredictable in decades. Opinion polls during the monthlong campaign had suggested the result was too close to call.

But an exit poll released as polls closed projected that the Conservatives would be well ahead, with around 316 seats -- they would need 326 for a majority.

The chief exit pollster, John Curtice of Strathclyde University, said it looked as if Conservative and Labour gains had canceled each other out across England and Wales, and that Labour had lost much of its support in Scotland to the SNP.

The survey was conducted by pollsters GfK and Ipsos MORI for Britain's broadcasters.

The pound surged as much as 2 percent after the exit poll, as investors took that as reassurance that the country will not see days or weeks of uncertainty over the formation of a new government. The currency held onto most of those gains on Friday, trading at $1.5440. Stocks also surged, with the main FTSE 100 up 1.6 percent.

As results rolled in overnight, the Conservative Party appeared to be in a commanding position to form the next government, either alone or by seeking partners from smaller parties. One result could be a re-run of the Conservative-led coalition with the Liberal Democrats that has governed since 2010.

Votes in each constituency were counted by hand and the results followed a familiar ritual. Candidates -- each wearing a bright rosette in the color of their party -- line up onstage like boxers as a returning officer reads out the results.

But if the form was familiar, the results were often shocking.

Among the early Scottish National Party winners was 20-year-old student Mhairi Black, who defeated Douglas Alexander, Labour's 47-year-old foreign policy spokesman and one of its most senior figures. Black is the youngest U.K. lawmaker since 13-year-old Christopher Monck entered Parliament in 1667.

The UK Independence Party ran third in opinion polls, but by early Friday had won only one seat because its support isn't concentrated in specific areas. Leader Nigel Farage lost his seat to the Conservatives, and could resign later.

Britain's economy -- recovering after years of turmoil that followed the 2008 financial crisis -- was at the core of many voters' concerns. The results suggest that many heeded Cameron's entreaties to back the Conservatives as the party of financial stability. Public questions at television debates made plain that many voters distrusted politicians' promises to safeguard the economy, protect the National Health Service from severe cutbacks and control the number of immigrants from eastern Europe.

British voters reacted with surprise as they awoke to the news. Polls have been showing a virtual dead heat in the race, and many expected weeks of wrangling over who would be in power.

"I thought it would be closer," said account manager Nicky Kelly-Lord, 38, who was among those startled by the result.

But some, like project manager Jonathan Heeley, 42, thought it inevitable that a country struggling to rebuild in the wake of the 2008 financial crisis would be anxious to keep the economic recovery going.

"The country's rebuilding itself and people want to stay with that," he said.

FBD
05-08-2015, 11:17 AM
You do know that politics isn't for the common man anymore? Too expensive for the average person to run for any national type office and you need to be connected. All you can do is go out and vote for the lesser of the evils that are running. Because even though almost all politicians are twats, there are some that are way worse than others.

Its been set up so that its not for the common man just like being in line for the crown isnt for the common man, its fkn ridiculous. You have to have the right credentials and the right insider contacts, and say "all the right things" because if you're too truthful about certain things then the press gets together and mocks you like a class full of kindergarteners. Like I said about the upcoming election here, I'll go vote if Jesse runs, but short of that... I thnk I actually will go regardless, just so that I can write in NO CONSENT on all of the boxes for federal and state offices.

beowulf
05-08-2015, 11:17 AM
we're fucked....but to be honest whoever got in we would be fucked

all a bunch of muppets who only care about themselves

redred
05-08-2015, 11:19 AM
i think he was the better of what was on offer tbh

FBD
05-08-2015, 11:27 AM
we're fucked....but to be honest whoever got in we would be fucked

all a bunch of muppets who only care about themselves

well, that's part of the problem....in fact, its a huge part of it.

ANY "return to reality" in the world of financial fuckery (which necessarily includes banksters and governments) means the house of cards falls. and that will NOT be good. but it will eventually produce good results...but not without massive pain.

sorry that's what I advocate for, pain on nearly everyone

but that's cold hard reality, as opposed to just paying all your shit with a credit card and not looking at the bill, ever