PDA

View Full Version : California man drowns himself in San Francisco Bay while emergency responders stand by and watch

RBP
06-01-2011, 07:13 PM
Police and firefighters stood on a California beach and watched as a suicidal man waded into the San Francisco Bay and drowned in the surf.

The body of Raymond Zack was finally pulled from the 54-degree water by a passerby as local fire officials blamed budget cuts for their inability to save the man.

"We are absolutely going to do an investigation," Alameda, Calif., Mayor Marie Gilmore promised after the Memorial Day tragedy.

"And we are planning to do it in as transparent a way as possible."

Police and firefighters were brought to Robert Crown Memorial State Beach by a 911 call, authorities said.

Fire officials said the department's water rescue program disappeared with its funding in 2009. And an overtime cutback prevented firefighters from logging sufficient training hours for water rescues.

"The incident was deeply regrettable," said Alameda Fire Chief Mike D'Orazi.

"But I can also see it from our firefighters' perspective. They're standing there wanting to do something, but they are handcuffed by policy."

The policy kept the untrained firefighters from entering the water even as Zack, 52, spent an hour in the bay before he wound up floating face down.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/2011/06/01/2011-06-01_california_man_drowns_himself_in_san_francisco_ bay_while_emergency_responders_st.html

Hal-9000
06-01-2011, 07:16 PM
What was that stat from the movie The Bridge? 26 people died that year in the San Fransisco Bay?

and there's this? - "Fire officials said the department's water rescue program disappeared with its funding in 2009"

I don't understand...

AntZ
06-01-2011, 07:19 PM
Welcome to California! :cheerlead:

Just another story from the thousands of tragedies caused by corruption, mismanagement, and bloated bureaucracies!

AntZ
06-01-2011, 07:22 PM
I don't understand...

Look into who runs the Bay Area, and now the Governors Mansion, then you'll understand! This isn't an isolated incident, the mass corruption in Sacramento over the last 20 years will insure that it will get even worse!

Muddy
06-01-2011, 07:27 PM
Wow...

Loser
06-01-2011, 07:27 PM
What was that stat from the movie The Bridge? 26 people died that year in the San Fransisco Bay?

and there's this? - "Fire officials said the department's water rescue program disappeared with its funding in 2009"

I don't understand...

Meaning they were ill equipped or trained to handle the san fran bay, which is basically one gigantic rip current.

I completely do not blame them, it would of been suicidal on their part if they went in after him.

The politicians on the other hand should be charged with 1st degree murder.

Deepsepia
06-01-2011, 07:43 PM
The notion that if you choose to throw yourself into freezing water and you die, that somehow it's the government's fault for not rescuing you from your own dumb idea doesn't wash with me.

Muddy
06-01-2011, 07:52 PM
The notion that if you choose to throw yourself into freezing water and you die, that somehow it's the government's fault for not rescuing you from your own dumb idea doesn't wash with me.

Yeah... you're right..

Loser
06-01-2011, 08:02 PM

The fact that some stupid politician cuts essential training and equipment of their rescue services is negligence.

They knew, at some point in time, someone would eventually try to off themselves , thinking otherwise is just pure ignorance.

Better yet, look at it this way, what if someone fell into the bay and rescuers just stood there because they were ill equipped or trained.

I'm sure people would be singing a different tune. :roll:

Hal-9000
06-01-2011, 08:23 PM

We had a story yesterday about a guy who asked his girlfriend to shoot him in the chest with a pellet gun.She did, he had to be airlifted to a hospital and have heart surgery as the pellet passed through his heart and was lodged into his back muscles.

So it was the 911 respnoder's time, the airlift, the surgery and the ensuing physio...must have costed a fair whack I would surmise.I would never endorse suicides but I do believe we all have the right to help and treatment when necessary.

If the government has cut funds or mismanaged funds and as a direct result the proper programs aren't in place, I think it's fair to say the government is responsible.

Acid Trip
06-01-2011, 08:51 PM

Hell must be freezing over because I agree with Deep again.

Hal-9000
06-01-2011, 09:14 PM
I agree with Deep quite often :thumbsup:

I try never to commit that sentiment to text tho :lol:

AntZ
06-01-2011, 10:20 PM
The bigger problem is that the sleazy politicians know that they handcuffed the firemen, and they will play the "I as shocked as the public is" card!

"We are absolutely going to do an investigation," Alameda, Calif., Mayor Marie Gilmore promised after the Memorial Day tragedy.

This bullshit! Now they will do an investigation and try to punish someone/anyone to deflect any blame on the people that control municipal finances!

deebakes
06-01-2011, 11:20 PM
Another one bites the dust :tup: