PDA

View Full Version : The scary new Facebook game that's worrying parents

Teh One Who Knocks
05-13-2015, 11:28 AM
Herb Scribner - KTAR News

http://i.imgur.com/e3H2fVI.jpg

Teens are playing a disappearing act on their parents with a new and nefarious social media challenge called The Game of 72, which dares teens to disappear from and have absolutely no contact with their parents for 12, 24 or 72 hours, NECN reported.

The game, which has inspired the hashtag #GameOf72, originated in France when a 13-year-old girl named Emma disappeared for three days. When she was found, she wouldn't tell authories where she went, but only said she had played the Game of 72. The game has now slowly crept into parts of England and the United States.

The Game of 72 starts when someone receives a private message on social media asking them to play the game, NECN reported. The person who receives the message then has to completely disappear — both online and offline — for, in most cases, three straight days.

As you might imagine, this game hasn’t gone over well with local authorities and parents. After all, there’s an average of 90,000 people missing in the United States at any time. This new challenge would only add to the burden of authorities.

"It is beyond foolish," Constable Brian Montague told The Huffington Post B.C. "Each year we have between 3,000 to 4,000 missing persons cases in Vancouver alone. This would add to the already overburdened workload of our officers, not to mention all the grief and torment it would cause parents."

This challenge has been a reminder for parents that they need to keep track of what their teen does on social media. That’s why police and local authorities have sent out warnings to parents to take a preemptive strike against The Game of 72, as many American teens haven’t started playing yet.

Expert Jesse Miller of Mediated Reality, a media safety organization, told The Vancouver Province that parents should monitor their child’s social media habits to make sure their teens aren’t participating in this new fad.

This game is not unlike a Facebook challenge in France last year called "To the water or a restaurant," where social media users were challenged to either pay for someone’s meal or throw themselves into a river, according to The Huffington Post. The challenge caused the death of one teen, who drowned after he jumped into the water, HuffPost reported.

And then there was the cinnamon challenge, where youngsters were dared to swallow scoops of cinnamon. The challenge left some teens sick, poisoned and even with collapsed lungs, according to The New York Times.

The concern over these challenges has led parents to take more consideration into what their teens are doing on social media. The Wall Street Journal’s Anton Troianovski suggests parents familiarize themselves with social media websites so they can better understand what their teen may be doing online.

He also says parents should look at who their children are friending online, what specific pages teens are visiting and who might be following their child on social media.

This is something parents are already doing to a certain extent. I wrote about a Pew study back in March that found the majority of parents are already friends with their teens on Facebook. Parents have also started following their children on Twitter and other social media pages, like Instagram and Snapchat.

It also might be important for parents to help their teens understand the risks of social media. Our own Chandra Johnson talked to experts who said it’s important for parents to use social media alongisde their children so that teens feel comfortable talking to their parents about the problems they run into online.

"You have to walk the road with them. It’s like putting the oxygen mask on yourself first,” parenting blogger Kay Wyma told the National. "If they’re telling me about their day, I’ll ask them how something made them feel. And if they’re holding their phone I’ll say, 'How does that make you feel?'"

PorkChopSandwiches
05-13-2015, 12:15 PM
Lovely

perrhaps
05-13-2015, 01:42 PM
if your kids are inspired to do something like this that's on Facebook, you've already failed as a parent.

Muddy
05-13-2015, 02:00 PM
if your kids are inspired to do something like this that's on Facebook, you've already failed as a parent.

Walk a day in a modern parents shoes.. How much technology and instant gratification did your kids have at their finger tips back in the 50's ?

perrhaps
05-13-2015, 02:44 PM
Walk a day in a modern parents shoes.. How much technology and instant gratification did your kids have at their finger tips back in the 50's ?

Despite the technological advances since then, when I was a child in the late 50s and early 60s I had exactly the same amount as your kids should - what my parents allowed me to have.

PorkChopSandwiches
05-13-2015, 03:51 PM
Despite the technological advances since then, when I was a child in the late 50s and early 60s I had exactly the same amount as your kids should - what my parents allowed me to have.

Its not that easy, its available everywhere, including school

DemonGeminiX
05-13-2015, 05:36 PM
That's no excuse, Porky. Schools can regulate what the kids can access while at school.

Muddy
05-13-2015, 06:38 PM
That's no excuse, Porky. Schools can regulate what the kids can access while at school.

Nope. My kids don't have books. They have laptops.. Schools can only filter specific site that are accessed through their wifi.. I love you, but you and Fodster don't know what you're talking about. I'm here to inform you how it IS.. Not what you fundamentally think it should be.. :)

Hal-9000
05-13-2015, 07:08 PM
I think it's the old saw.....you take away a phone of a method of getting online from a kid nowadays, and they will double their efforts to find a way...

when that big EMP comes that I'm warning everyone about...we will have two or three entire generations standing there, literally in shock

Goofy
05-13-2015, 07:29 PM
Nope. My kids don't have books. They have laptops.. Schools can only filter specific site that are accessed through their wifi.. I love you, but you and Fodster don't know what you're talking about. I'm here to inform you how it IS.. Not what you fundamentally think it should be.. :)

What did Fodster have to do with it? :lol:

Muddy
05-13-2015, 08:04 PM
What did Fodster have to do with it? :lol:

:bwaha: Poor Fod... I meant perhapps.. :lol:

DemonGeminiX
05-13-2015, 11:49 PM

No offense, but actually, I do know what I'm talking about. My two nephews don't have books either, they use computers exclusively in their school (and they both know I think that's a heinous crime), and their father, my brother, watches them like a hawk. So this is how it really is: where there's a will, there's a way, and if parents care enough about their children, they will watch their kids' activities like hawks, they will limit their kids' access to the web over all devices they have access to and what they do on there, and they will teach their kids not to be morons like the idiots in this article. Because that's exactly what my brother does, consistently and constantly... and he's a single divorced father with a highly stressful full time job and no one else to rely on.

I love you too, but get on outta here with your ol' rusty seadoo. :nana:

And quit pickin' on Fodster. :meatspin:

Griffin
05-14-2015, 12:00 AM
when that big EMP comes that I'm warning everyone about...we will have two or three entire generations standing there, literally in shock

I get the feeling you've been probed by the same aliens as me since the 60's... :waiting:

Lambchop
05-14-2015, 01:53 AM
I was a kid during the MSN Messenger days. We used to masturbate on webcam with girls our age, and arrange to meet them for sex at shopping centres (if they were local). My favourite was a French Canadian girl. She was freaky on webcam, fingers in every hole.

This was using a PC. Now every kid has a computer in his/her pocket (iPhone/Samsung/etc) with 2 cameras and Internet access everywhere. It's so much easier to do this stuff now.

Basically, I wouldn't trust kids with unsupervised internet access today.

deebakes
05-14-2015, 02:12 AM
:facepalm:

RBP
05-14-2015, 03:19 AM
I was a kid during the MSN Messenger days. We used to masturbate on webcam with girls our age, and arrange to meet them for sex at shopping centres (if they were local). My favourite was a French Canadian girl. She was freaky on webcam, fingers in every hole.

This was using a PC. Now every kid has a computer in his/her pocket (iPhone/Samsung/etc) with 2 cameras and Internet access everywhere. It's so much easier to do this stuff now.

Basically, I wouldn't trust kids with unsupervised internet access today.

I got pussy on Prodigy @ 2400 baud in 1993. :woot:

Muddy
05-14-2015, 12:35 PM
No offense, but actually, I do know what I'm talking about. My two nephews don't have books either, they use computers exclusively in their school (and they both know I think that's a heinous crime), and their father, my brother, watches them like a hawk. So this is how it really is: where there's a will, there's a way, and if parents care enough about their children, they will watch their kids' activities like hawks, they will limit their kids' access to the web over all devices they have access to and what they do on there, and they will teach their kids not to be morons like the idiots in this article. Because that's exactly what my brother does, consistently and constantly... and he's a single divorced father with a highly stressful full time job and no one else to rely on.

I love you too, but get on outta here with your ol' rusty seadoo. :nana:

And quit pickin' on Fodster. :meatspin:

I wish him the best.. :)

Hal-9000
05-14-2015, 05:50 PM
I get the feeling you've been probed by the same aliens as me since the 60's... :waiting:

Despite the dual probing we received, it's more a statement about how each generation gets tied down further to technology. I do feel there will be a point of no return...

Forget the solar flare EMP doomsday scenario. Did you know that small nuke can be set off in high altitude over a country and everything in the reverse line of sight parabola from the nuke goes dark. It's not a theory and I'm surprised it hasn't been attempted before now. That one blast would knock out every electronic device and the way the science works, even surge protectors can't protect equipment. So all phones, pc's and banking goes dark....w.t.f.......

keep a happy thought..

perrhaps
05-15-2015, 01:15 PM

And my parents said the same thing about television; transistor radios; Playboy magazines, FM radio; marijuana, etc.

By your logic, your kids will have no control whatsoever over your grandchildren.

Muddy
05-15-2015, 01:35 PM
And my parents said the same thing about television; transistor radios; Playboy magazines, FM radio; marijuana, etc.

By your logic, your kids will have no control whatsoever over your grandchildren.

The way parents lose more and more control, who knows what the future holds..

PorkChopSandwiches
05-15-2015, 02:27 PM

So you being the good boy you were never got a hold of any of those things, just sat quietly by the window hoping the mail would arrive