PDA

View Full Version : New Jersey Judge Rules That Pledge of Allegiance Doesn't Violate Rights Of Atheist Students

Teh One Who Knocks
05-13-2015, 11:31 AM
By Corinne Gaston - Opposing Views

http://i.imgur.com/65mP6X9.jpg

A New Jersey state judge ruled that hearing the Pledge of Allegiance every day at school—including the words “under God”—does not violate the constitutional rights of atheist students.

In 2014, a student filed a lawsuit against the Matawan-Aberdeen school district in Monmouth County, because he believed that the phrase “under God” in the Pledge of Allegiance discriminated against atheists and those of non-Christian faiths, in violation of New Jersey's constitution. The student believed that having to hear the phrase “under God” every day in school fostered a marginalizing environment and made non-Christians feel like “second class citizens.”

The American Humanist Association, a national atheist group, filed a suit along with the students and his parents, who are not identified by name in court papers. Currently, New Jersey law requires daily recitation of the pledge in the state's public schools, according to app.com.

State Superior Court Judge David F. Bauman dismissed the case in February, citing a New Jersey law that states students are not required to recite the Pledge of Allegiance if they have “conscientious scruples” against doing so.

Bauman stated that Christianity and references to God have been woven into the customs and traditions of the United States, but they do not endorse any faith. The references, Bauman said, are only an acknowledgement of the role religion played in the founding of the country.

“The pledge of allegiance, in this historical context, is not to be viewed, and has never been viewed, as a religious exercise,” wrote Bauman in his decision. The pledge was meant to promote the “core values of duty, honor, pride and fidelity to country on which the social contract between the United States and its citizens is ultimately based.”

The Monmouth County student said that he actually wanted to engage in the Pledge of Allegiance as a patriotic act, but that he didn’t want to do so if it compromised his principles.

In April 2015 the 45-day time frame for the American Humanist Association to file an appeal of the judge’s decision expired without an appeal being filed.

“Protecting students from viewpoints and ideas that may offend or upset them is not and has never been the role of public schools in America,” wrote Bauman.

Hal-9000
05-13-2015, 06:21 PM
:-k

This is how I see it.....a cross on a grave does not have to be a symbol of Christianity, rather a symbol of respect and reverence for the deceased.

however...

"The pledge of allegiance, in this historical context, is not to be viewed, and has never been viewed, as a religious exercise,”

is a different thing. It does reference God and if the pledge to your country is exactly that...allegiance to an ideal, then the God stuff should be removed. It creates an umbrella that not everyone should be thrown under.

Teh One Who Knocks
05-13-2015, 06:23 PM

This is how I see it.....a cross on a grave does not have to be a symbol of Christianity, rather a symbol of respect and reverence for the deceased.

however...

is a different thing. It does reference God and if the pledge to your country is exactly that...allegiance to an ideal, then the God stuff should be removed. It creates an umbrella that not everyone should be thrown under.

The 'under God' phrase was added in the 1950's because the politicians here wanted to differentiate between Americans and the 'godless' commies in the USSR.

Hal-9000
05-13-2015, 06:25 PM
under God

creates an umbrella...

did you see that gold I'm spinning there :dance:

PorkChopSandwiches
05-13-2015, 06:25 PM
Yeah, so it was never intended and shouldnt be there IMO.

But, Im not going to sue over it

Hal-9000
05-13-2015, 06:33 PM
that's the key PCS...just how butthurt are you going to get because of a phrase or a sign near a church...

I had a big argument with a coworker over the cross thing at graveyards and he was close to foaming at the mouth...even the Muslim dudes were laughing behind his back and asking me what his problem was :lol:

Muddy
05-13-2015, 06:34 PM

however...

I agree.. Do I have to swear allegiance to YOUR god to swear allegiance to MY country?

Hal-9000
05-13-2015, 06:52 PM
There's a lot of documents and sayings that should be changed simply because of age...I won't mention them because that's a different, heated discussion...but the world has changed too much in the past 300 years where some things need to be amended and updated.

Sure, at one point in history every American was 'under God', because that was the belief. Now with 200 million more people and differing beliefs, things of that nature have to removed.

Hal-9000
05-13-2015, 06:54 PM
We used to say the Lord's Prayer every morning in school and pledge allegiance to the Queen

the Queen thing bugged me more than the prayer thing :lol:

Hal-9000
05-13-2015, 06:57 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3FJfKeC3Qg

Muddy
05-13-2015, 06:58 PM
"The Queen" wtf... :lol:

Hal-9000
05-13-2015, 07:03 PM
hey man we've had a lifetime of our own political parties....pc and liberals ( republicans and democrats )

our own financial system...complete autonomy from the world...

yet somehow we have to worship and pay attention to this old hag across the pond and all of her little goofy minions.....like they matter or some shit :lol:

confusing for the youth of Canada

Muddy
05-13-2015, 07:03 PM
http://i.imgur.com/MpVA9de.jpg

Goofy
05-13-2015, 07:36 PM
I pledge allegiance to the Balvenie of Speyside, and to the drunkenness for which it stands, one large dram under supervision, unbefuckable, with crisps and peanuts for all.

^far better :thumbsup:

Lambchop
05-13-2015, 08:50 PM
I don't think they should have to say that every morning. It's something you would expect from North Korea.

We pledge allegiance to our flamethrower-using homicidal overlord Kim Jong Chins
His rectum so strong, no need to poo
Fall asleep on job, he execute you
In Chins we trust