PDA

View Full Version : Comet 'wiped out highly advanced ancient civilisation after smashing into Earth nearly 13,000 years ago'

Teh One Who Knocks
05-18-2015, 10:58 AM
By Sarah Ridley - The Mirror

http://i.imgur.com/xoFeRl0.jpg

The author of a controversial new book claims a comet struck the Earth nearly 13,000 years ago and wiped out a highly advanced ancient civilisation.

When Graham Hancock wrote Fingerprints of the Gods, it was derided by academics but became a commercial sensation.

He argued an ancient culture in Antarctica was obliterated - but subjects such as astronomy and mathematics were passed to later civilisations.

Despite selling an estimated 3m copies, a BBC Horizon programme sought to demolish his theory.

Paul V Heinrich, a US geologist, wrote: “Rather than stumbling upon an archaeological mystery, he has merely created one.”

Now, 20 years later, he is set to publish a 500-page sequel - Magicians of the Gods - that he believes will prove his critics wrong.

Citing scientific and archaeological research, Hancock, a former journalist, told the Sunday Times: "In 1995, I wrote a book about all the clues — the fingerprints — that pointed to the existence of this lost civilisation.

“But what I lacked was a smoking gun. Now we have it.

"A series of papers in geophysics and geological journals have been bringing forward evidence that the Earth was indeed hit by a comet 12,800 years ago, which is exactly what I proposed in my book.”

Hancock argues that the existence of the comet has been masked because it struck ice and did not leave a crater.

But he acknowledges that many will ridicule his new book, which is to be published in September.

Goofy
05-18-2015, 11:40 AM
Sounds interesting :)

deebakes
05-19-2015, 02:01 AM
:fbd:

Hal-9000
05-19-2015, 05:40 PM
geologists know that relatively small objects (by movie standards) can cause worldwide changes...they hit areas that are now covered by water and leave huge impact craters...

we tend to think of history a few hundred years at a time...10000 or 15000 years ago the physical face of the planet was different, complete with lost civilizations...so it's not such a huge stretch

Teh One Who Knocks
05-19-2015, 05:41 PM
Antarctica was where they found the 2nd Stargate :-k

Hal-9000
05-19-2015, 05:44 PM
There's already theories that civilizations lived on Antarctica and may be related to people in South America.They've already found evidence of plants and minerals from Africa's west coast that exist on South America's east coast...

I agree with the geologists...just because Antarctica is currently covered in ice doesn't mean it's always been that way....we just tend to think in small timelines

deebakes
05-20-2015, 02:01 AM
ya'lls crazy :lol: