PDA

View Full Version : PETA Asks Pub To Change Its Name Because It Is Allegedly Offensive To Chickens

Teh One Who Knocks
05-21-2015, 11:38 AM
By Amanda Andrade-Rhoades - Opposing Views

http://i.imgur.com/eEGZh07.jpg

Ye Olde Fighting Cocks, a pub in St Albans, Hertfordshire, holds the record for being the oldest bar in Britain.

However, the controversial animal rights group PETA (People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals) recently tried to make a change to the pub, which dates back to the 8th century.

PETA wrote a letter to the pub’s owner, Christo Tofalli, asking him to change the name to Ye Olde Clever Cocks “in recognition of society’s growing compassion for animals and in celebration of intelligent, sensitive chickens,” according to The Herts Advertiser.

“This is an historic building with a remarkable story behind it," Tofalli told the St Albans Review, "and I take the responsibility of looking after the oldest pub in the country very seriously and want to share that history with locals and with the tourists that visit from far and wide all year round.

“So I am not in favour of changing the name as I think that history and heritage is important to retain and protect.”

The award-winning pub earned its name due to its history of holding cock fights, although the sport has been banned in the U.K. since the 1800s.

"Today, kind people are appalled by the thought of forcing birds to fight to the death, and more people than ever are making the compassionate choice not to eat chickens either," PETA director Mimi Bekhechi told the Review.

“We celebrate the fact that cock fighting was banned in the 1800s, but we won’t consider changing our name," Tofalli said. “We are animal lovers here and are one of the few pubs left that welcomes dogs!”

“And we usually support animal welfare organisations and a lot of the great work they do,” he added.

Jezter
05-21-2015, 11:56 AM
Fuck PETA. That is all.

Jezter
05-21-2015, 11:56 AM
http://i.imgur.com/pr2Ab.jpg

perrhaps
05-21-2015, 12:10 PM
So, does one get a discount on dues for life membership?

redred
05-21-2015, 06:51 PM
there was a fighting cocks pub near me they changed the name to the happy cocks , was never the same :lol: and no i didn't drink or do anything else there

PorkChopSandwiches
05-21-2015, 06:53 PM
there was a fighting cocks pub near me they changed the name to the happy cocks , was never the same :lol: and no i didn't drink or do anything else there

"or do anything else there" sounds suspicious :fbd:

redred
05-21-2015, 07:09 PM
:lol:

Griffin
05-22-2015, 01:35 AM
It's pretty presumptuous of them to say it has anything to do with brawling birds.

It could just as easily be referring to the pugnacious pricks that frequented the joint.