PDA

View Full Version : Child neglect charges ruled out for Maryland 'free-range' parents

RBP
05-27-2015, 01:38 AM
(CNN)The Maryland "free-range" parents at the center of a national debate over parental supervision have been cleared of child neglect charges related to an incident in December in which their children, ages 6 and 10, were allowed to walk home alone from a playground a mile from their house.

However, Danielle and Alexander Meitiv of Silver Spring are still under investigation for a similar episode last month in which their children were picked up by authorities while walking home alone and detained for several hours.

The couple's attorney hailed the ruling by Child Protective Services of Montgomery County.

"I think this most recent conclusion by CPS validates our position all along that the Meitivs were never responsible for any form of child neglect and there was no basis to investigate the family or detain the children," Matthew Dowd said, adding that the family was notified via letter last week.

The agency had originally found the parents responsible for "unsubstantiated neglect" in March.

In the December incident, the two children were about halfway through their walk home when they were stopped by police, Danielle Meitiv said. When officers asked whether they were lost or in trouble, the kids told them they were fine, that their parents knew where they were and that they are allowed to walk home by themselves, she said.

The police drove the kids home. A few hours later, someone from Child Protective Services arrived at the home and said the family needed to agree not to let the children be unsupervised until the matter was resolved within the agency, or the children would be taken into the custody of Child Protective Services, said Meitiv.

"The family did appeal, and they were successful in their appeal," Maryland Department of Human Resources spokeswoman Paula Tolson said, explaining that she could not comment any further because it remains an open case.

The Meitivs are still under investigation for an April 19 incident (http://www.cnn.com/2015/04/13/living/feat-maryland-free-range-parenting-family-under-investigation-again/)that also garnered national attention. On that day, their children were detained -- first by police officers and then by CPS -- for hours after they were again found walking home alone from a park.

"The April case is going through the process," Tolson said. She said the agency has 60 days to conclude its investigation and issue a written decision.

While the Meitivs await those results, they are moving forward with plans to file a lawsuit against Montgomery County Police and Child Protective Services stemming from the April incident, Dowd said.

"The past actions of CPS and Montgomery County Police violated the rights of the Meitivs and their children," he said.

In a new statement, Danielle Meitiv said that while she and her family welcome the most recent decision by CPS, they are concerned that a "misguided policy" remains in place.

"We fear that our family and other Maryland families will be subject to further investigations and frightening police detentions simply because our and their children have been been taught how to walk safely in their neighborhood including to and from school and local parks," she said.

Added Dowd, "The question is ... if someone calls in the future, whether an investigation will be started all over again. And right now, the Meitivs don't have any certainty and don't have any clarity about that issue."

RBP
05-27-2015, 01:40 AM
What the fuck are we doing? letting your kids go to the park is not okay any more? It's so unusual it needs a counter culture name (free range parenting)?

"be home at dark" were my summertime parental instructions.

PorkChopSandwiches
05-27-2015, 01:44 AM
Everyone is a potential rapist/child molester.....EVERYONE!!!!

PorkChopSandwiches
05-27-2015, 01:45 AM
That being said, I wouldn't have my children out alone at that age

deebakes
05-27-2015, 01:45 AM
What the fuck are we doing? letting your kids go to the park is not okay any more? It's so unusual it needs a counter culture name (free range parenting)?

"be home at dark" were my summertime parental instructions.

:+1:

deebakes
05-27-2015, 01:47 AM
when i was younger (12-15), my best friend and i would get dropped off at the golf course every morning in the summer and picked up at night. we ate lunch and dinner there on their tab (his dad was an orthopedic surgeon :dance: ).

some of the best times of my life :(

PorkChopSandwiches
05-27-2015, 02:18 AM
Yeah. But 6 and 10 is beyond my comfort level.

deebakes
05-27-2015, 02:22 AM
:hand: you always are part of the problem porky. first you are mad that people vaccinate their kids, then you are mad when they let the kids loose :shrug:

make up your mind already :lol:

RBP
05-27-2015, 02:29 AM
Yeah. But 6 and 10 is beyond my comfort level.

Not even up the street to the park?

Can I ask why you that makes you uncomfortable? Can I assume, like the rest of us, that would have been okay when you were growing up?

Teh One Who Knocks
05-27-2015, 10:37 AM

A mile away is a little farther than just 'up the street' but that being said, I have no problem with it. Some kids are just generally more responsible than others. When I was 10 years old, my parents had already split up and my mom was working 3 jobs so I was taking care of my 6 year old brother alone quite often.

Hal-9000
05-27-2015, 05:34 PM
That being said, I wouldn't have my children out alone at that age

I agree. Letting a six year old walk over a mile alone is a bit much and I don't think the 10 year old provides much security in case something goes wrong.

It's the old Halloweening debate. We used to be able to go out where ever, until late hours when Halloweening. We were older than six though. Now in current times, often parents drive their kids around Halloween night.

It's a sign of the times. Fear of molesters have been brought to the forefront of our media, so parents are naturally more fearful.

PorkChopSandwiches
05-27-2015, 07:45 PM

Can I ask why you that makes you uncomfortable? Can I assume, like the rest of us, that would have been okay when you were growing up?

I lived on a farm at that age, so we were out in the woods...not really people around. My daughter is 11 and wants to go hang out at the mall with her friends...its a no for me.

They say that stranger danger is over hyped, but I still read about kids getting snatched right off the sidewalk in near by cities.

My son on the other hand has a knife, so hes fine :twisted:

DemonGeminiX
05-27-2015, 07:57 PM
I agree. Letting a six year old walk over a mile alone is a bit much and I don't think the 10 year old provides much security in case something goes wrong.

It's the old Halloweening debate. We used to be able to go out where ever, until late hours when Halloweening. We were older than six though. Now in current times, often parents drive their kids around Halloween night.

It's a sign of the times. Fear of molesters have been brought to the forefront of our media, so parents are naturally more fearful.

:hand:

Train kids to use a .44 Magnum on any stranger that approaches them. Let them carry concealed.

Bonus points to any parent that teaches their kids to quote Dirty Harry.

Problem solved.

:thumbsup:

PorkChopSandwiches
05-27-2015, 08:15 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=76&v=qvJ3SU17p9c

Muddy
05-27-2015, 08:39 PM

I was offered a ride by a man when I was about 10 years old.. He ended up being a middle aged homosexual pedophile.. He did not take advantage of me.. I jumped out of the car while it was moving down a back road... The threat is real.

PorkChopSandwiches
05-27-2015, 08:57 PM
:shock:

Teh One Who Knocks
05-27-2015, 10:04 PM
I lived on a farm at that age, so we were out in the woods...not really people around. My daughter is 11 and wants to go hang out at the mall with her friends...its a no for me.

They say that stranger danger is over hyped, but I still read about kids getting snatched right off the sidewalk in near by cities.

My son on the other hand has a knife, so hes fine :twisted:

I guess it depends on where you live/where you grew up. I grew up in a small town in Vermont, so back there it was nothing for us as kids to just roam and wander about (within reason). Now, living here in a city of 3.3 million people, I would NOT let my soon-to-be step daughter who is 12-1/2 go to the mall with her friends without adult supervision.

PorkChopSandwiches
05-27-2015, 11:05 PM
Exactly

RBP
05-27-2015, 11:23 PM
I was offered a ride by a man when I was about 10 years old.. He ended up being a middle aged homosexual pedophile.. He did not take advantage of me.. I jumped out of the car while it was moving down a back road... The threat is real.

Sorry that happened to you. Statically that is a completely anomaly. The threat is actually not that real and stranger danger has been repeatedly debunked.

Either way, it still doesn't change the fact that it's a parental decision, not a neighborhood committee or the authorities to decide.

PorkChopSandwiches
05-28-2015, 04:01 AM
I'm with you RBP, it should be up to the parents. I just wouldn't do it.

RBP
05-28-2015, 04:05 AM
I'm with you RBP, it should be up to the parents. I just wouldn't do it.

And it's not my business to question your judgement as a parent on this.

Muddy
05-28-2015, 04:38 PM
Sorry that happened to you. Statically that is a completely anomaly. The threat is actually not that real and stranger danger has been repeatedly debunked.

Either way, it still doesn't change the fact that it's a parental decision, not a neighborhood committee or the authorities to decide.

All good, I was street smart and knew to get the fuck out of there..