PDA

View Full Version : NBC is reviving 'Fear Factor'

Teh One Who Knocks
06-02-2011, 09:53 PM
by James Hibberd - Entertainment Weekly

http://i.imgur.com/WQJqN.jpg

Fear of reviving reality hits is not a factor for NBC. After spiking their ratings impressively with singing competition The Voice, the Peacock is now rebooting action classic Fear Factor.

NBC’s head of alternative programming Paul Telegdy says the notion first came to the network’s attention when sister cable channel Chiller saw high ratings for near decade-old Fear Factor repeats. Telegdy watched some of the encores himself and was impressed how well the action held up.

“No one has come close to doing what they’ve done on that show,” Telegdy exclusively tells EW. “You go back and they’ve stood the test of time. It always had this incredible spectacle to it.”

Telegdy conferred with Fear Factor producer, Endemol USA, and discussed doing a few specials with the company’s president and CEO David Goldberg. Then they decided to go bigger.

“I said, ‘Let’s apply everything we’ve learned since then and put together the team,’” Telegdy says. The team includes original executive producer Matt Kunitz, who later went on to launch ABC’s stunt-driven hit Wipeout.

“The stunt and camera technologies have evolved since then, we’re going to be able to make it even bigger,” Telegdy said. “We’re going to make it more visually arresting.”

Fear Factor ran for five years on the network starting in 2001. When it launched, the series was a rallying point for NBC’s critics. At the time, the network was best known for prestige shows like The West Wing and Friends, while reality TV was considered a tawdry genre stealing attention from scripted shows, with Fear Factor pushing the gross-out envelope beyond what had ever been seen on TV.

Telegdy says that although the new show will go even bigger, “we don’t necessarily need to do the stuff with maximum shock value.”

“In the brave new world of reality TV it was deemed symptomatic of a problem — ‘we want our West Wing, why are you doing this?’” Telegdy said. “Now the ecology has changed, the top shows are reality TV. For consumers, it will be a fond reunion.”

News of the production company’s Fear Factor casting notice was first reported by Reality Blurred. Original host Joe Rogan added plenty of personality to the first series, but it’s not yet clear who will host the revamp, or when the show will launch (midseason or next summer would be safe bets).

Teh One Who Knocks
06-02-2011, 09:53 PM
:cheers:

Muddy
06-02-2011, 10:00 PM
I thought this show was great.. I hope they bring back Joe Rogan as well..

Hal-9000
06-02-2011, 10:01 PM
I could do without the cockroach embryo eating segments...

Muddy
06-02-2011, 10:02 PM
Oh man that separated the men from the boys...

Hal-9000
06-02-2011, 10:04 PM
One of the weirder ones.....(checks for RBP...)

They had to eat 3 ostrich egg contents (yolks and whites) while standing in front of live ostriches :lol:

Man, those things were huuuge

Teh One Who Knocks
06-02-2011, 10:10 PM
I thought this show was great.. I hope they bring back Joe Rogan as well..

That would be awesome. I loved this show

I could do without the cockroach embryo eating segments...

Oh man that separated the men from the boys...

Some of those segments were hard to watch :lol:

deebakes
06-03-2011, 02:22 AM
:woot:

Teh One Who Knocks
06-03-2011, 11:26 AM
I was just thinking, I don't think Rogan will do the show again. When it ended the first time didn't he say something like he hated doing the show? :(