PDA

View Full Version : festival death: Guards jailed over kidnap

redred
05-30-2015, 03:11 PM
http://i.imgur.com/xAs55Fv.jpg

Two security guards have been jailed for the kidnap of a music festival-goer who was run over and killed after they dumped him by the roadside in Essex.
Paul Wickerson, 32, was hit by several vehicles after being taken from the Brownstock Festival in August 2013.
Gregory Maxwell, 32, of Romford, was given a three-year sentence and Brian Atkins, 49, of Ilford, three years and nine months at Chelmsford Crown Court.
The judge said there had been a "woeful failure" to protect Mr Wickerson.
The geologist, from Sydney, Australia, had been at the festival near South Woodham Ferrers when he was handcuffed, bundled into a Land Rover by Maxwell and Atkins, and driven to a remote spot, the court heard.

The victim, who had taken cocaine, ketamine and LSD, was then released to see if he could make it back to the festival.
He died after being hit by several vehicles within minutes of being dumped.
During the trial one of the defendants was overheard describing Mr Wickerson's ordeal as a "four-mile bush tucker trial" - referring to challenges in the reality TV show "I'm a Celebrity, Get Me Out of Here".
Judge Karen Walden-Smith told Maxwell and Atkins: "I don't sentence you for Paul Wickerson's death, but your breach of trust and woeful failure to protect those you had the responsibility to protect.
"This is a truly tragic case. Your actions during an approximate half-hour period had the result that one much-loved and talented young man unnecessarily lost his life."
Atkins was given a longer sentence as the judge decided he had "greater culpability".
"I'm satisfied you shackled him by the ankles, drove him to the place he was left and physically left him there," she said.
Atkins was given an additional six-month sentence on an unrelated charge of possessing a prohibited weapon, which he had admitted previously.
A spokesman for Brownstock Festival said: "We are pleased that the case has reached a conclusion and that the offenders have been held to account.
"It has been frustrating for us to not be able to comment on the case until now and our deepest sympathies remain with the family of the victim."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-32930833

deebakes
05-30-2015, 05:32 PM
:wtf:

PorkChopSandwiches
05-30-2015, 07:13 PM
3 years :shock:

Hal-9000
05-31-2015, 07:03 PM
I met a girl (who ended up living with my sister for a while) who was whacked out of her mind on chemicals at an outdoor party one night...she laid down in a field and a vehicle drove over her. Not once...but twice.

After some hospital time she recovered. Months later she was diagnosed with severe schizophrenia, yet never had a symptom of mental illness for years previous leading up to the accident.

:-k